2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

The Mets bullpen continues to look worse and worse as time goes on. They're going to need to find another arm for the stretch run but there isn't much available.

They just got Luis Ayala from the (G)Nats. They've tried to make other moves, but they're being blocked at each turn.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the Rookie Eddie Kunz could be the answer he was an outstanding closer for Oregon State's back to back National Championships and has moved up quickly through the farm system in his first full year in pro ball. But if the Mets don't win the division it will be because the bullpen, becuase they clearly have the best starting rotation in the NL.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Maybe the Rookie Eddie Kunz could be the answer he was an outstanding closer for Oregon State's back to back National Championships and has moved up quickly through the farm system in his first full year in pro ball. But if the Mets don't win the division it will be because the bullpen, becuase they clearly have the best starting rotation in the NL.

I thought if they didn't win it would be because of Omar Minaya...pick a lane, Franklin.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I thought if they didn't win it would be because of Omar Minaya...pick a lane, Franklin.

Omar Minaya is the reason for the Tigers' troubles too.

Dice-K continues to make his bid for a Cy Young nomination with another strong outing last night.

Not a Cy Young candidate in my book.

Only at about 50% for Quality Starts since he doesn't typically get deep enough into games. The guy's an enigma -- his FIP suggests his ERA should be closer to 4+ but I don't know if that's accurate in his case. I'd best describe him as effectively wild, which is fine when he can post a sub-3 ERA, but it takes him a lot of pitches to do it. He makes the pitches he needs to, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

Omar Minaya is the reason for the Tigers' troubles too.

I would also like to blame Omar Minaya for the collective slump incurred by the Phillies' offense.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Dice-K continues to make his bid for a Cy Young nomination with another strong outing last night.

Only at about 50% for Quality Starts since he doesn't typically get deep enough into games. The guy's an enigma -- his FIP suggests his ERA should be closer to 4+ but I don't know if that's accurate in his case. I'd best describe him as effectively wild, which is fine when he can post a sub-3 ERA, but it takes him a lot of pitches to do it. He makes the pitches he needs to, though.

I'd agree with you but unfortunately voters tend to vote based on W-L and ERA... if it were up to my standards it'd be a two-horse race between Lee and Halladay with Lee getting the nod based on his consistent awesomeness, fewer "crap" games.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The pen is Omar's fault he needed to get relief and he failed.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'd agree with you but unfortunately voters tend to vote based on W-L and ERA... if it were up to my standards it'd be a two-horse race between Lee and Halladay with Lee getting the nod based on his consistent awesomeness, fewer "crap" games.

Yeah, he'll definitely be a candidate, but by my criteria, he really shouldn't be -- or should, at the very least, stand no chance of winning. Hopefully he doesn't finish above either Halladay or Cliff Lee in the voting -- but since IP is what essentially locked up the award for C.C. last year and Dice-K's not going to touch either of those two in that category, I'm not too worried that he will.

It should be clear to anyone who's followed the Red Sox this year that Lester's been far and away their best Starter.

IUe6Hvh.png

Forget ERA, Ks and innings pitched -- Because Cy Young voting is almost always based on wins alone (which I am in total disagreement with), your winners up to this point are Cliff Lee and Brandon Webb.

If I were voting, Tim Lincecum would get my NL vote and K-Rod would probably be my pick in the AL.

6uXNWAo.png

Yeah, he'll definitely be a candidate, but by my criteria, he really shouldn't be -- or should, at the very least, stand no chance of winning. Hopefully he doesn't finish above either Halladay or Cliff Lee in the voting -- but since IP is what essentially locked up the award for C.C. last year and Dice-K's not going to touch either of those two in that category, I'm not too worried that he will.

It should be clear to anyone who's followed the Red Sox this year that Lester's been far and away their best Starter.

I agree with you, but with Cleveland being terrible and the Blue Jays not being a contender (not to mention Doc's W-L record, which shouldn't factor in, but always does AND the presence of A.J. Burnett), it might just fall to Dice-K by default.

I agree with you, but with Cleveland being terrible and the Blue Jays not being a contender (not to mention Doc's W-L record, which shouldn't factor in, but always does AND the presence of A.J. Burnett), it might just fall to Dice-K by default.

Even as a Sox fan I really hope that doesn't happen. You're right, though... it just might.

And Curty, wouldn't giving the Cy Young to K-Rod be the same as essentially giving it to a Starter just based on Wins?

IUe6Hvh.png

And Curty, wouldn't giving the Cy Young to K-Rod be the same as essentially giving it to a Starter just based on Wins?

If K-Rod gets the all-time saves record (which he's currently on pace to do), he would have to be my pick. I mean if Cliff Lee set the all-time wins record, he would probably pick up every single first-place vote. The saves record should matter for something.

6uXNWAo.png

If K-Rod gets the all-time saves record (which he's currently on pace to do), he would have to be my pick. I mean if Cliff Lee set the all-time wins record, he would probably pick up every single first-place vote. The saves record should matter for something.

But he shouldn't be rewarded for getting more opportunities. Rivera and Papelbon have much better ERAs -- a full run better, in fact. I feel like looking into the sabermetrics but I'm sure they'd support my case.

IUe6Hvh.png

But he shouldn't be rewarded for getting more opportunities. Rivera and Papelbon have much better ERAs -- a full run better, in fact. I feel like looking into the sabermetrics but I'm sure they'd support my case.

Joe Nathan and Jokim Soria are just as deserving as Rivera and Papelbon, but you won't hear their names get mentioned in Cy Young voting either.

K-Rod's ERA of 2.81 isn't bad at all, and if he can the saves record, it will carry some weight -- especially if Cliff Lee comes back down to earth in September.

6uXNWAo.png

Joe Nathan and Jokim Soria are just as deserving as Rivera and Papelbon, but you you won't hear their names get mentioned in Cy Young voting either.

K-Rod's ERA of 2.81 isn't bad at all, and if he can the saves record, it will carry some weight -- especially if Cliff Lee comes back down to earth in September.

I'm not trying to say Papelbon or Rivera should win the Cy Young, just that K-Rod certainly shouldn't. I don't mean to come off like that, as a Red Sox fan, those are the two names that immediately come to mind as having been better than K-Rod. 2.81 isn't bad at all, but it doesn't really compare to a 1.80 or a 1.60, which is approximately where Papelbon and Rivera are respectively. And having just looked into FIP's, which are a better judge than ERA, it more than supports my case. Papelbon's around a 1.90, Rivera just over 2.00, and K-Rod is at a 3.40, which suggests he's been lucky to even be at that 2.81 ERA.

IUe6Hvh.png

Joe Nathan and Jokim Soria are just as deserving as Rivera and Papelbon, but you won't hear their names get mentioned in Cy Young voting either.

I'm not trying to say Papelbon or Rivera are should win the Cy Young. I don't mean to come off like that, as a Red Sox fan, those are the two names that immediately come to mind as having been better than K-Rod. 2.81 isn't bad at all, but it doesn't really compare to a 1.80 or a 1.60, which is approximately where Papelbon and Rivera are respectively. And having just looked into FIP's, which are a better judge than ERA, it more than supports my case. Papelbon's around a 1.90, Rivera just over 2.00, and K-Rod is at a 3.40, which suggests he's been lucky to even be at that 2.81 ERA.

So then why don't we just award the AL Cy Young to the pitcher with the best FIP? -- Which, oh by the way, isn't even an actual MLB stat.

I'm sure there are many pitchers who have better averages than Francisco Rodriguez. But like it or not, he will get more Cy Young votes than Papelbon and Rivera combined based on his pursuit of the all-time saves record.

6uXNWAo.png

I think it's more appropriate to consider a closer for MVP rather than Cy Young, since he's more like an everyday player than a starter is.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived