New Orleans Hornets

Conrad.

as discussed in http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=58469 , I am planning on making an updated identity for the Hornets, starting with jerseys.

I made a new wordmark and numbers based on the font that has been circulating their franchise this year, and i also got rid of the H logo and the Hugo main logo. I replaced them with the FDB, the crawfish (from AS08), and the NOLA (also from AS08)...here is the home jersey:

nohnewhomerr4.png

the teal away jersey will come soon...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I go along with these

also, what color do u think I should make the alt? purple or gold?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as discussed in http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=58469 , I am planning on making an updated identity for the Hornets, starting with jerseys.

I made a new wordmark and numbers based on the font that has been circulating their franchise this year, and i also got rid of the H logo and the Hugo main logo. I replaced them with the FDB, the crawfish (from AS08), and the NOLA (also from AS08)...here is the home jersey:

nohnewhomerr4.png

the teal away jersey will come soon...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I go along with these

also, what color do u think I should make the alt? purple or gold?

I think they are using pinstripes and they arent going to have a gold alternate.

I believe it's been reported that the hornets will have pinstripes, purple is out and the teal will look more like blue. Forgive me as I forgot the link to which I got this information.

Damn you beat me to it!!!! I went to Lakeside Mall today and talked to my friend Chris who works at Sports Avenue and he said that the Hornets are going to use the Fleur-de-Bee / New Secondary Logo as their primary next year. He said that reps from Reebok were in the store and that the team will be making the teal more blueish and it will be called "Creole Blue" and the purple-blue that they use now will be a bit deeper. They've acutally started producing hats with the new colors on the secondary logo. Word is, is that G. Shinn wants the team to blend in with the arena and rid themselves of their days in Charloette! If anyone doesn't know, the NO Arena has blue/light blue seats at the bottom and gold seats in the upper level and the building's outside is teal! I thought it was a perfect fit for the team, being that they only added gold when they came here to N.O. but I wish they would have used a metallic gold instead of a yellow one.

He told me not to buy a CP3 jersey and just wait til next year being that that's why the store didnt order any from Reebok to sell. Most of the teams merchandise is being sold at the arena for the playoffs! I don't know about pinstripes which would go against what Shinn suposedly wants by getting away from the Carolina days and I don't know if they will change their font or uni template as well. I can only confirm what I heard as far as color and logo updates. Poor Hugo!!!!

thanks for the info bigdub...i'll make some color adjustments on the next update of this...is there anyway u can get a pic of those hats or find out more specifics about the colors?

and i guess i'll add the pinstripes as well for the next iteration as well as a "purple" alt instead of the gold thats been ditched.

Nice. I understand it's a concept, but I really hope they don't use that same template and just switch logos and wordmarks out. As unique of a city New Orleans is, they should have a really unique uniform design.

And just to let you know, they would never use the crawfish logo in their identity. They're the Hornets, not the Crawfish. I know its a really awesome logo though.

i hear ya Ian...here's an update on the home:

nohnewhome2vs4.png

changed colors (as described by bigdub), made new paneling based from AS08 decorations, but still kept the craw ;)

i sort of feel like the blue isnt blue enough and what do y'all think about the paneling (esp. where i incorporated the FBD; that doesnt feel right either)

The stripping is interesting, very creative and well executed. Not sure if I like but it would defiantly get away from the Charlotte days. Every thing else though is very clean and nice, I love the work mark to.

i hear ya Ian...here's an update on the home:

nohnewhome2vs4.png

changed colors (as described by bigdub), made new paneling based from AS08 decorations, but still kept the craw ;)

i sort of feel like the blue isnt blue enough and what do y'all think about the paneling (esp. where i incorporated the FBD; that doesnt feel right either)

wow thats really cool.

I like this concept a lot. In answer to where to place the logo, many wrought iron fences in New Orleans have ornaments, including FDLs, on them as shown below. Maybe you could tweak the wrought iron just a bit and put the logo on it that way.

webfence1.jpg

Also, I am usually completely against adding black to unis and logos, but this is an exception. Black is the color the wrought iron should be, perhaps with a gold outline. Being from New Orleans, wrought iron is almost always black and that's how it would present the best on this uni IMO.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

thx for the feedback guys, please keep it comin'

here's the 3rd version:

nohnewhome3zn2.png

complete with a darker color "iron" side panels, pinstripes, and a different position of the FDB onto the ironwork.

any more revisions or ideas?

Those are BEAUTIFUL, except count me as against the pinstripes--and I thought you were on the right track when the gold was more prominent on the side trim.

These would be one of the few sets that wonderfully represents the city's spirit, and goes against general uniform convention without looking garish. Great work.

reebok??? last time i checked Adidas made the NBA uniforms, and yes i know adidas owns reebok now.

My guesses:

1. the FDB will NOT be the primary, maybe they will clean up the primary and use the new font that they have been using for ASG product, I think you will see lots of product featuring the FDB, but it will still remain a secondary logo. Doesn't a team have to pay the league 500k to change their primary??

2. The pinstripes might be very far apart, about 5 across the front of a jersey.

reebok??? last time i checked Adidas made the NBA uniforms, and yes i know adidas owns reebok now.

My guesses:

1. the FDB will NOT be the primary, maybe they will clean up the primary and use the new font that they have been using for ASG product, I think you will see lots of product featuring the FDB, but it will still remain a secondary logo. Doesn't a team have to pay the league 500k to change their primary??

2. The pinstripes might be very far apart, about 5 across the front of a jersey.

There's already reports that the Fleur De Bee WILL be the primary logo next year. That part isn't necessarily speculation.

While I hated the idea of pinstripes coming back, I gotta admit this doesn't look bad. I still don't want them to get them, and I'm sure if they did, they wouldn't be as well executed as yours. Great work.

I don't usually chime in much anymore, but this could be an amazing uniform. I like the choices you made for the new colors. As for the uniform, my main problem is with the shorts and the pinstripes.

The pinstripes, while a subtle light gray on white, make the whole set too busy. You've got all the filigre in there which looks great but is busy by its nature so when the pinstripes are added it's just a little much. I know you were trying to go by what the reports have said, but for the purpose of this concept I'd nix them.

As for the shorts, again there is just a little too much. Even without the pinstripes there is still the iron work, the FDB, and the tri-color stripes at the bottom of the shorts. I don't like the placement of the FDB. I'm not sure where you should put it. As it is it comes too close to the front of the leg. Personally, I think you could take the FDB off of the shorts all together. Yes, it is a great logo, but the shorts are so distinctive that the logo is not needed. I think it would also look a lot cleaner if the tri-color stripes were gone. That way the ironwork could extend all the way to the end of the shorts without interuption. Maybe keep a very thin purple or "creole blue" stripe at the very bottom, same thickness as the purple stripe now and erase the other two. Same could go for the neckline, but that doesn't bother me as much.

I love the "NOLA" on the waistband. It's perfect. It's a good wordmark for the team to use and it adds a nice little touch to the shorts. Keep that and the iron work but remove the pinstripes, FDB, and tricolor hem(except maybe one color, like I mentioned) and you've got some beautiful shorts. The obvious complaint I think if you did that would be that there isn't enough creole blue on the shorts, but I honestly don't think it would be too big a deal.

What throws me off about the design as a whole is that one the side view, the ironwork would just be on the side and wouldn't extend out too much onto the front or back. But on the front and back views, especially the back one, the ironwork comes out onto the body rather far. On the back view it almost reaches the #'s. This may just be a problem created by the template. My question is, what is your intention? To have it be mainly on the sides, or to have it come out onto the front and back more? Just curious. I personally think the impression I get from the side view is better, but that's just me.

For the road may I suggest a creole blue uniform and gold ironwork outlined in purple?

This is your concept, though, so do what you think looks best. My comments are just my thoughts.

This is a great idea. Well played.

This is a great set. Agree with others who dislike the pinstripes. Wish the FDB looked vertical on the front but it's probably impossible to get those arcs and angles to work. The NOLA wordmark is excellent but the font is so complex I didn't realize it actually said something until I read another post mentioning it and looked at the full-size graphic. Yeah, I'm a dope.

Overall, outstanding work!

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived