The Third "Alternate" Jersey, NOT A NEW CONCEPT.

jamdawg1

In the mid 1950's (I believe '55) Paul Brown experimented with a third Orange Jersey for Home Night Games. Knowing the way Paul Brown's mind worked, he was probably thinking that the jersey would be easier to see at night than the Brown Jersey.

Here is a game photo of Browns Hall of Famer Otto Graham in this jersey.

Graham_10-24.jpg

I have also heard that the Brooklyn Dodgers once experimented with a third uniform for home night games. Is this true?

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

A few MLB teams in the late 1930s, early 1940s made night uniforms, usually made of satin or some other shiny material... i know the Boston Braves were one of the teams.

Thanks.

I knew the Dodgers experimented with that. I didn't know about other MLB teams.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

In the mid 1950's (I believe '55) Paul Brown experimented with a third Orange Jersey for Home Night Games. Knowing the way Paul Brown's mind worked, he was probably thinking that the jersey would be easier to see at night than the Brown Jersey.

Graham_10-24.jpg

I have also heard that the Brooklyn Dodgers once experimented with a third uniform for home night games. Is this true?

I think the Browns tried that in '54 preseason...I remember when they brought the orange jersey out in 2002 and an article said it was the first time since 1954 they had worn orange. Paul Brown had a good idea, especially considering that back then the NFL used a white football for night games, since this was in the days before all teams had white jerseys.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

here's a link to the braves night jersey

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donabelandewen/1046044730/

Found some better pics:

40758b.jpg40758c.jpg

40758a.jpg

The Dodgers had two versions, white for home:

56899A_lg.jpeg

and powder blue for the road (talk about ahead of its time):

38201.jpg

Interesting that both teams went with the same thick piping - on the cuffs, down the sleeves and down the pant legs -and contrast color belt loops, design features not found on any of their regular uniforms. I'd syspect that to be a manufacturer's standard pattern, but the Dodgers' uniforms were made by Wilson and the Braves' by the Horace Partridge Co in Boston.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a week on the road and visited 6 parks and Cooperstown...I saw this there and thought of this thread, so while not the best picture of them (that's earlier in this thread), I thought I'd share the shot I took...

P1010778.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Graham_10-24.jpg

Wow, I didn't know that they used this back in the day. Awesome.

I still want them to bring back the orange jerseys. Those were my favorites in the NFL, and I was sad to see em go.

and powder blue for the road (talk about ahead of its time):

38201.jpg

I don't know if 1944 was ahead of it's time for powder blue, considering the Cubs were the first to use the color three years earlier (even though it only lasted two years)...

1941 Cubs:

nl_1941_chicago.gif

Moose

Archived