NBA Offseason Central

LEWJ

The Sixers didn't even offer Smith a contract. He is restricted, and it would have been pretty difficult for them to put anything together that the Hawks couldn't (and wouldn't) match. I think they brought him in just for PR - to show the fans that they "tried" just in case they weren't able to land anybody good.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, according to the Hawks, their main priority this offseason was to keep Smoove and Chill, and Brand signing with the Sixers definitely helped the Hawks out. They now only have to worry about the Warriors and Clippers, and the Clippers are gonna come hard because the Sixers straight up got their asses with the Brand signing.

As for anything outside of that, the Hawks are either pursuing nobody or playing their hand REALLY tight. Knowing these guys, I tend to think it's the former.

On a side note, don't trust a damn thing Ric Bucher says.

Alright Drew and Flame....what's the ideal guys the Hawks are going after, and actually have a good shot of signing?

They need an actual center, but there are not any good ones on the market. They're best bet would to sign Smith and Chill and just play this year out with the roster they have.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Huh...so Baron Davis opted out only end up in a worse situation with the Clippers. He can't feel too happy 'bout that.

And I know it was a long-shot for the Spurs to get Maggette; but it figures that the Warriors would get him (and for a relative bargain for someone who averaged 22.2 PPG) to compensate.

I'm left to wonder what the Spurs will do now. Either way, Brand's move to the East is already having a ripple effect.

GR30a5H.png

Alright Drew and Flame....what's the ideal guys the Hawks are going after, and actually have a good shot of signing?

They need an actual center, but there are not any good ones on the market. They're best bet would to sign Smith and Chill and just play this year out with the roster they have.

Which would be good because almost everybody on team team is young and going to get better. Horford's training with the olympic team, Law's reportedly been amping up his training, and he'll be going to the summer league with these guys (guys that are actually on the roster in bold)

G - Acie Law IV

G - Speedy Claxton

G - Dominique Kirk

G - Brian Chase

G - Jeremy Richardson

G - Demetric Bennett

G - Thomas Gardner

G/F - Mario West

G/F - Luke Jackson

F - Brian Randle

F - Kevin Pinckney

F - Marcus Hubbard

F - Othella Hunter

F - Brian Butch

C - Solomon Jones

C - Jamal Sampson

C - Olumide Oyedeji

lmao @ Speedy going to summer league.

Shavlik Randolph currently wears 42 for the Sixers. He's a FA, so who knows if they want him back, but if they keep him, does he forfeit the # to fellow Duke-alum Brand?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

nba_a_eltonbrand_300.jpg

Notice the jersey they gave him...

And now Josh Smith is out of potential suitors, since this is going to eat up whatever money they may have been planning to give him. Come on home, Smoove, the party's over. :P

That said, this basically redeemed the Clippers for that embarrassment they received over the Elton Brand deal. Now they actually have a good looking team out there. Well, good in comparison to the East. That's still a beast of a conference that the Clips have to deal with out West.

Shoot, it cost me Mo Williams AND my second round pick to land Marcus Camby in NBA 2K8.

Not even a second round pick in this one... the option to swap second round picks.

Ugh...

It's a move the Nugs had to make to dump salary.

I suppose that's just how it goes when you take on Iverson's massive contract and ink K-Mart and Nene for as much as they did.

6uXNWAo.png

Shoot, it cost me Mo Williams AND my second round pick to land Marcus Camby in NBA 2K8.

Not even a second round pick in this one... the option to swap second round picks.

Ugh...

I suppose that's just how it goes when you take on Iverson's massive contract and ink K-Mart and Nene for as much as they did.

Yeah, I guess this was a result of their past clueless moves.

IUe6Hvh.png

Ugh...

I get why Denver went after and signed Kenyon Martin at the time because he was a stud while in New Jersey ... but why Nene is making $10M/yr for the next four years is wayyyy beyond me.

6uXNWAo.png

Ugh...

I get why Denver went after and signed Kenyon Martin at the time because he was a stud while in New Jersey ... but why Nene is making $10M/yr for the next four years is wayyyy beyond me.

And why they didn't ship off Nene when he had a ton of trade value -- back when they could've had Michael Redd for him.

IUe6Hvh.png

Ugh...

And why they didn't ship off Nene when he had a ton of trade value -- back when they could've had Michael Redd for him.

It's a shame Denver didn't pull the trigger on that offer when they had the chance.

At this point, Nene has ZERO trade value, so it looks like they're just gonna have to eat his contract ... unless he suddenly shows improvement and can actually stay healthy for once. I don't see that happening though.

6uXNWAo.png

Nice move by the Clippers to get Camby. But I realize it's a screw-up on Denver's part.

Also, the Cavaliers just signed Daniel Gibson to a 5-year deal.

And they signed JJ Hickson earlier in the week.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Ugh...

It's a shame Denver didn't pull the trigger on that offer when they had the chance.

At this point, Nene has ZERO trade value, so it looks like they're just gonna have to eat his contract ... unless he suddenly shows improvement and can actually stay healthy for once. I don't see that happening though.

I guess my buddy heard on the radio here that the idea is to play Nene at the 5, Melo at the 4 spot, Kleiza at small forward, and JR Smith and AI as the guards. It'll be interesting.

And yeah, Kiki really should've pulled the trigger there when he had the chance... then again, Kiki's tenure as GM consisted of only a few bright spots, like clearing cap room to make all of these mistakes. Hell, he wanted to draft Darco had he gotten the #2 pick -- Melo fell into his lap.

Rex Chapman hasn't done much better, though -- how did they not fire George Karl?

IUe6Hvh.png

Ugh...

I guess my buddy heard on the radio here that the idea is to play Nene at the 5, Melo at the 4 spot, Kleiza at small forward, and JR Smith and AI as the guards. It'll be interesting.

And yeah, Kiki really should've pulled the trigger there when he had the chance... then again, Kiki's tenure as GM consisted of only a few bright spots, like clearing cap room to make all of these mistakes. Hell, he wanted to draft Darco had he gotten the #2 pick -- Melo fell into his lap.

Rex Chapman hasn't done much better, though -- how did they not fire George Karl?

Ugh, that's a terrible lineup. At least they'll give the Warriors competition for the "most interesting" team that won't ever really do much, postseason wise.

Maybe a first round upset, that's about it. That's a team in dire need of a blowup. Again. After Kiki blew everything up from the Issel reign of error.

Archived