2008-2009 NHL Offseason Thread

Wheelhouse

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TSN is reporting the Leafs have signed D Jeff Finger, and G Curtis Joseph.

I think Jeff Finger sorta got over paid there on this signing.

I see him as a Hal Gill imo, although he's got some toughness, and of course the Leafs need that.

I'm guessing CF see's something that we don't.

Nice to see Curtis Joseph back as a Leafs, but only as a backup.

Hopefully this means that Pogge gets the starting job with the Marlies, and maybe after a year we will get to see him in the NHL.

Not bad signings but others and I probably expected something different.

4kv29i.jpg

TSN is reporting the Leafs have signed D Jeff Finger, and G Curtis Joseph.

I think Jeff Finger sorta got over paid there on this signing.

I see him as a Hal Gill imo, although he's got some toughness, and of course the Leafs need that.

I'm guessing CF see's something that we don't.

Nice to see Curtis Joseph back as a Leafs, but only as a backup.

Hopefully this means that Pogge gets the starting job with the Marlies, and maybe after a year we will get to see him in the NHL.

Not bad signings but others and I probably expected something different.

Finger: Also he's alot younger

Pogge: He deserves it the guys was a beast out here for the Hitmen, the leafs have a great talent in him

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Finger: Also he's alot younger

Pogge: He deserves it the guys was a beast out here for the Hitmen, the leafs have a great talent in him

Imagine him and Schenn on a line-up.... now that would be scary lol.

4kv29i.jpg

Offer Sheet Alert from TSN:

The Vancouver Canucks have signed RFA David Backes to an offer sheet for three years at $2.5 million per year. Compensation is a second round pick. St. Louis must match within seven days or he goes to Vancouver.

Detroit signs UFA goaltender Ty Conklin to a 1 year deal worth $750,000

Meh. Wasnt expecting to keep him. But he coulda gone to somewhere other than DETROIT. :D

Sabourin should be a good backup, though. He was pretty good the few games he played up here this year and led Wilkes Barre through a pretty good run.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

Uh oh. Tampa is loading up.

Tampa Bay signs UFA goaltender Olaf Kolzig to a 1 year deal worth $1.5-million

Good that's all they'll get out of him is 1 year

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Tampa can add all the offense they want, they dont get a goalie theyre screwed. we in the SE Division hope they go after Jose Theodore, and only since he can perform in contract years, i think a multi year deal is in order.

People are underrating Mike Smith, he was a very good backup in Dallas and along with a good veteran backup ie Olif Kolzig, they could be real good.

Olie wont back up anywhere, hes already said hes comfortable retiring unless he gets an offer to be someones starting goalie. and maybe we are underrating Mike Smith, but you said he was a very good backup, not proven starting goalie. i hope Melrose has the goods to get all these new players to gel, for Tampas sake at least.

You were saying :D

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242173&amp...=headlines_main

Tampa signs Kolzig, Hall, and Verbata. They're looking better and better.

Now on to the Canucks, 10m is way to much for Sundin, you still need to get some rights wingers and other pieces, don't use it all on Sundin. David Bakes sounds like a good fit, but like the Sundin move it looks like a desperation move for Mike Gillis, I guess nothing else is working out.

I'm hearing that the Bruins have or might offer Marian Hossa $100 million in 12 years.

Dear Bruins, I had figured your organization had learned your lesson when you signed Zdeno Chara. STOP OVERPAYING FOR PLAYERS!

Sincerely,

The World

They didn't overpay for Chara.

If 12 years 100 mil happen, it would be front loaded.

How much does Chara cost per season? About $7.5 million? That's about $8.5 million over what he's worth.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Ottawa signed Alex Auld for 2 years at a million a year, so much for Lalime.

Also can someone please explain the contract that the Leafs gave to Jeff Finger?! They could have used that money elsewhere for a better D-man if you ask me.

Hi, how are you?

I'm hearing that the Bruins have or might offer Marian Hossa $100 million in 12 years.

Dear Bruins, I had figured your organization had learned your lesson when you signed Zdeno Chara. STOP OVERPAYING FOR PLAYERS!

Sincerely,

The World

How much does Chara cost per season? About $7.5 million? That's about $8.5 million over what he's worth.

He's one of the only reasons you guys gave Montreal a run for their money, he is an animal from the power-play, and a big physical Dman, with that tree in his hands he's impossible to get around 1 on 1.

If you think Chara is worth 1.5 million you're nuts.

Hi, how are you?

Sincerely,

The World

He's one of the only reasons you guys gave Montreal a run for their money, he is an animal from the power-play, and a big physical Dman, with that tree in his hands he's impossible to get around 1 on 1.

If you think Chara is worth 1.5 million you're nuts.

-I was at Game 3 of that series, and the Bruins were lucky to win it, mainly because the Canadiens couldn't capitalize on all of Zdeno Chara's turnovers.

-He's an animal on the power-play? Maybe because of his shot from the point or his size to be able to screen the goalie. Other than that, he's not that much of an "animal".

-Physical? For his size, he should be a lot more physical. And yes, it's hard to get around him. Why? Because of his size.

So basically, Zdeno Chara has the skill set of a #5 or #6 defenseman in the ECHL. The only reason he's at the NHL level is because of his size. That's not worth $7.5 or even $4 million per season.

Also, shanurr, here's some stats on Jeff Finger:

20 minutes per game

121 hits

Only 40 penalty minutes

117 blocked shots

I'd say that he's well worth the money.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived