2008-2009 NHL Offseason Thread

Wheelhouse

Ugh, Detroit did not need Hossa. What a slap in the face to everyone else on that team who has taken less money to play for such a great organization.

You couldn't have said it any better my friend, teams like Edmonton, Tampa, and maybe Toronto who are re-building, I thought would be a place where he would land. But I guess not.

spezzaheatley1.png

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh, Detroit did not need Hossa. What a slap in the face to everyone else on that team who has taken less money to play for such a great organization.

You couldn't have said it any better my friend, teams like Edmonton, Tampa, and maybe Toronto who are re-building, I thought would be a place where he would land. But I guess not.

The only thing good about this signing is that Hossa will be a free agent again next year.

So is there anyone left on the market who's not over the age of fifty?

6uXNWAo.png

Actually, one of the stipulations was that he would not be paid more than Nicklas Lidstrom.

Seriously, the guy wanted to play for a winner. You could argue that he had that with Pittsburgh, but I can't blame the guy for wanting to play on the most successful hockey franchise in recent memory. And i'm not even a Wings fan, but I can appreciate that.

Actually, one of the stipulations was that he would not be paid more than Nicklas Lidstrom.

Seriously, the guy wanted to play for a winner. You could argue that he had that with Pittsburgh, but I can't blame the guy for wanting to play on the most successful hockey franchise in recent memory. And i'm not even a Wings fan, but I can appreciate that.

If he wanted to that he would have signed with Jersey. :P

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I look at some of these four and six year deals, and I scratch my head and wonder how many of these long term deals are going to turn out to be duds, and throw on top of that you have Hossa who bizzarly signs a one year contract with Detroit. I would've thought he would've signed a two or three year contract. I think he's banking on a good year to get a huge contract next year, and it's risky. I don't think majority of these players are as good as the contracts being shelled out. I can kind of understand the younger players, but I just wonder how many of them are going to turn out to be royal duds and handicap their team. It makes me glad to have Dean Lombardi's plan to build the Kings through the draft etc. and not shell out hug contracts to fill holes. I think Tampa will be one over-rated team based on their moves to bring in players. If you're bringing in 6-7 free agents, you have big holes and big problems, and Tampa has big holes and big problems. Build from within and get a free agent or two to push you over the top is what Dean Lombard said. I agree. It's why Detroit has always been so good.

TSN is reporting that Marian Hossa has signed a 1 year contract worth 7.4 million with the Detroit Red Wings.

They might as well engrave the cup for 2009 while they have it for 2008. <_<

How on Earth does Detroit have a star-laden lineup AND cap room for Hossa when the Wild can't find the money to keep Rolston? :cursing:

Ruutu to the Senators.

Oh great, now I can't like one of my favorite teams because of that :censored:.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

How on Earth does Detroit have a star-laden lineup AND cap room for Hossa when the Wild can't find the money to keep Rolston? :cursing:

Because Minnesota blew all their dough on Patrick Roy killer, Andrew Brunette.

Just a guess, but they could be holding out in hopes to land Markus Naslund. I think he'd fit in well with that team.

6uXNWAo.png

If Hossa wanted to be part of a rebuilding team, he wouldn't have left the Thrashers. Hossa stayed true to his word about wanting to sign for a team that's a contender now, and didn't sign for the money. Edmonton, Tampa, and Toronto aren't these places.

Zherdev and Fritsche traded to the Rangers for Fedor Tyutin and Christian Backman.

Zherdev is going to be huge in New York. Especially if he plays with Jagr. The Blue Jackets never used him correctly and he floundered in their system. Fritsche on the other will be the same. He's an Ohio kid, which is why he stuck around Columbus for so long, but he really wasn't helping the team's development. What are Tyutin and Backman like? All I keep hearing is that they're "puck-moving" and that they're big. So with Klesla, Commodore and these two characters the Blue Jackets will have something they've never had on defense, size. I still don't like getting rid of Zherdev.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Zherdev and Fritsche traded to the Rangers for Fedor Tyutin and Christian Backman.

Zherdev is going to be huge in New York. Especially if he plays with Jagr. The Blue Jackets never used him correctly and he floundered in their system. Fritsche on the other will be the same. He's an Ohio kid, which is why he stuck around Columbus for so long, but he really wasn't helping the team's development. What are Tyutin and Backman like? All I keep hearing is that they're "puck-moving" and that they're big. So with Klesla, Commodore and these two characters the Blue Jackets will have something they've never had on defense, size. I still don't like getting rid of Zherdev.

Jagr probably isn't coming back to the Rangers, thus one reason why they pushed hard for Hossa and why they traded for Zherdev (not saying he is a replacement for Jagr though).

Tyutin is alright and Backman was awful with the Rangers. Columbus got ripped off in this deal.

In the ESPN article about his signing, he says that he signed with Detroit because he felt they would provide him with the best chance to win a cup. So two things about this: 1. Reminds me of Cujo, 2. Totally just slapped Pittsburgh in the face by saying how he would never win the cup with him.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

If he wanted to that he would have signed with Jersey. :P

But Hossa probably wants to at least make it out of the first round. :D

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

$4 million is insane for Avery. This is starting to look like the $5 mil for Lapoint and $9 mil for Holik Summer of '01 again!

-Dan

I know. Explain to me again why we had to lose a full season and a half?

To wait for the Canadian dollar to rise apparently. Seriously, some ridiculous proportion of the league revenue comes from the six Canadian teams. If the Canadian economy goes into a downturn, the NHL is going to have serious problems.

But yeah, the salaries being given to essentially mediocre or slightly above that players are crazy.

Archived