Legendary sportscaster Charlie Jones has passed away

oz615

I remember he was the Rockies tv play-play announcer their first season in 93'.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Wow, I had completely forgotten he was the Rox play-by-play guy that year. If I recall, it was him and Dave Campbell in the booth for Colorado's inaugural season.

A sad day for NBC yesterday, that's for sure.

6uXNWAo.png

While many of you may have always thought of him as a great sportscaster, I recall from my youth him being the announcer on a cheesy game show called "Almost Anything Goes" where teams from small towns competed in a series of competitive games. The games had wacky, far-out rules examples might include: A member of the team jumping into a pool while dressed in formal clothing and searching for five quarters; a blindfolded member of the team trying to throw whipped cream pies at their teammates and similar. The announcers called the action as per a sporting event, with teams interviewed on their performance after each event.

I was never able to take him seriously as a top-flight sportscaster after this and always associated that voice with cheesy nonsense. It was an early lesson in maintaining your credibility and dignity for me.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

To me CHARLIE JONES was the voices of the CHARGERS back when NBC had the AFC contract while I was living in SAN DIEGO.

HE WAS THE BEST... B)

MONICA SANTA MARIA (DEC 6 1972- MAR 15 1994)

KRISSY TAYLOR (MAY 15 1978- JUL 3 1995)

YOU WILL BE MISS.

While many of you may have always thought of him as a great sportscaster, I recall from my youth him being the announcer on a cheesy game show called "Almost Anything Goes" where teams from small towns competed in a series of competitive games. The games had wacky, far-out rules examples might include: A member of the team jumping into a pool while dressed in formal clothing and searching for five quarters; a blindfolded member of the team trying to throw whipped cream pies at their teammates and similar. The announcers called the action as per a sporting event, with teams interviewed on their performance after each event.

I was never able to take him seriously as a top-flight sportscaster after this and always associated that voice with cheesy nonsense. It was an early lesson in maintaining your credibility and dignity for me.

Thanks for sharing. Nothing like kicking a dead guy for getting paid.

BB52Big.jpg

Wow, I had completely forgotten he was the Rox play-by-play guy that year. If I recall, it was him and Dave Campbell in the booth for Colorado's inaugural season.

A sad day for NBC yesterday, that's for sure.

Dave Campbell came in '94...it was Duane Kuiper(now with the Giants) who was teamed up with Jones in '93.

He'll be missed...his tagline in Colorado was "That's a Miiiiiile Hiiiigh and outta heeere!!!"

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

I believe it was Jones who did the play-by-play for the Buffalo Bills 32-point come-from-behind victory over the Houston Oilers (who later became the Tennessee Titans) in the '92 AFC Wild Card game.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Charlie did a lot of Broncos games as welll, especially in the late 80s and early 90s alongside Todd Christensen (IIRC) for NBC. He was kind of the AFC West "game of the week" announcer.

If I'm not mistaken, Charlie lived in Aspen or Steamboat Springs. Great announcer, and he'll surely be missed.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived