Tampa MLB stadium no go for now

OMMF

the Los Angeles Marlins of Pasadena in L.A. County

That was a pretty good post until you :censored:ed it up with this lame joke that has been done millions of times and wasn't even funny the first time.

tb2012.jpg

If you ask me, I think it looks like a giant schooner.

Well, the Rays might as well schooner up for San Antonio, or else contraction!

VICTORY! GOOD, SCREW THE RAYS!

Weren't you like, banned? Or was that a different Yankees fan who has an irrational hatred of the Rays?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

MLB needs to boot both ball teams out of Florida. The Rays play in a place that was a dump when it began and are just now starting to play respectable ball. The Marlins have two rings and still can't get any play in So. Florida. Hell, in '05 they couldn't even get people to show up until the middle of the LCS. Keep the Grapefruit League and hundreds of minor league teams, but they've shown that they can't handle pro ball down there. I'm sure New York can use a third team or you could put the Marlins in Pasadena--call them the Los Angeles Marlins of Pasadena in L.A. County, if you want.

Yeah the Marlins didn't go to the LCS in 2005.

In 2003 they drew 57k and 65k (baseball capacity) for two LDS games. They didn't start drawing until the middle of the LCS because the first two games were in Chicago. They drew 65k for all the LCS and WS games.

Regular season attendance sucked, the play off attendance was outstanding.

1997 | 2003

So basically what your saying is the Marlins fans are what most would call "front-running scumbags" who don't show up or support their team in any way until their team is well into the playoffs.

Good defense.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

So basically what your saying is the Marlins fans are what most would call "front-running scumbags" who don't show up or support their team in any way until their team is well into the playoffs.

Good defense.

TV ratings indicate scumbags choose to watch the games from the comfort of their own homes rather than come out to a hot humid atmosphere in the middle of suburbia.

1997 | 2003

Good defense.

same could be said for tampa. i was there when the cubs came to town. the stadium was packed for all three games the cubs were there. packed maybe anywhere from 50-65% cub fans. the next team to come into town was houston. not only did the games not sell out (not even come close), but they had to have a promotional night for one of the astro games. then last night i heard a radio call of the last out against boston. stadium sounded packed. coincidence?

i wouldn't say that marlin fans are what most would call "front-running scumbags" who don't show up or support their team in any way until their team is well into the playoffs. i would say that fans of both major league teams are what most would call "front-running scumbags" who don't show up or support their team until their team is well into the playoffs. and tampa fan has less of an excuse- they may have a dump of a stadium, but they don't have the heat or the humidity to deal with that marlin fan does.

OK.

David Samson on WFOR-TV said they are between 400k and 500k tickets a year behind the average ML team in corporate and group advance sales because of the venue and location.

http://cbs4.com/video/?id=47209@wfor.dayport.com at 7 minutes

Wait a tick - the president of a Major League Team that's looking for a new publicly-funded stadium is blaming their current stadium for pathetic attendance?

Well, then. It must be so. :P

Good defense.

While I will not speak for him, I think it is wrong of you to talk about attendance in major market regardless of winning/losing and look at the economic climate. Mitch Albom ripped Detroiters for empty seats during this year's Stanley cup playoffs.

Albom blasts Wings Fans for Empty Seats

Families need to make choices, period. Regardless of the extremes in the economy, the "front running scumbags" you talk about generally have more disposable income or their business may rather than the person who needed the recent $600 to pay for $4/gallon gas and $3/gallon milk. If you are able to still comfortably afford $6 gas, all your food, rent/mortgage, car note (if applicaple), and non football season tickets (as they are generally the best buy), then I don't think you need to comment. How many games could you honestly afford to attend if you live in South FL or Tampa/St. Pete? It is great to be at a keyboard at night ripping others who don't attend, but different if you are in that situation.

As a Tampa resident from 1980-1994, I distinctly remember the process and how they thought that their hearts were ripped out when they failed to get the expansion which gave NL franchises to Colorado and South Florida. They were even more upset that Phoenix received the NL franchise years later. If it were an NL team, their attendance would be much different and the plan would not have been to get former stars like Greg Vaughn and Canseco to fill the seats.

Good defense.

While I will not speak for him, I think it is wrong of you to talk about attendance in major market regardless of winning/losing and look at the economic climate. Mitch Albom ripped Detroiters for empty seats during this year's Stanley cup playoffs.

Families need to make choices, period. Regardless of the extremes in the economy, the "front running scumbags" you talk about generally have more disposable income or their business may rather than the person who needed the recent $600 to pay for $4/gallon gas and $3/gallon milk. If you are able to still comfortably afford $6 gas, all your food, rent/mortgage, car note (if applicaple), and non football season tickets (as they are generally the best buy), then I don't think you need to comment. How many games could you honestly afford to attend if you live in South FL or Tampa/St. Pete? It is great to be at a keyboard at night ripping others who don't attend, but different if you are in that situation.

As a Tampa resident from 1980-1994, I distinctly remember the process and how they thought that their hearts were ripped out when they failed to get the expansion which gave NL franchises to Colorado and South Florida. They were even more upset that Phoenix received the NL franchise years later. If it were an NL team, their attendance would be much different and the plan would not have been to get former stars like Greg Vaughn and Canseco to fill the seats.

That makes no sense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Good defense.

That makes no sense.

For someone who lived there and my family still does, they hate the AL. Remember, before they Yankees left Ft. Lauderdale to come to Tampa, that area was NL centric for both Spring Training and the FSL. The only AL team was Toronto (Dunedin) Blue Jays. Then WPIX showed 4-6 Yankee games a year in TAmpa, but the Reds did the same amount on another station.

That area was thinking that it was going to get an NL franchise after the White Sox and Giants affairs, so that the season ticket drive was built on an NL team. When that did not occur, people turned to save the Buccaneers from moving to Orlando (through the Community Investment Tax in 1996) and thus baseball, while popular, was now less important as the Ray started playing in 1998. Around that time, the Lightning were marketed as a niche sport and went through two venues before the St. Times Forum was built and it is not operated by the Tmpa Sports Authority.

Archived