Mexico Soccer

hormone

I didn't know what forum to put this. I just got back from my honeymoon in Riveria Maya, Mexico. I can count the amount of soccer I've watched my whole life in minutes on one hand. One night I got a little tipsy and bought a soccer jersey off a street vendor. It is the green Mexico jersey, #4 (written like most soccer font of 4 skinny lines making up the digit), R. Marquez, has a red bronco style stripe going up one underarm, and a white reverse bronco style stripe going up the other. It's adidas, has Mexico on the back collar, and the country's soccer patch on the breast. Just wondering if I got screwed for $40 US, did I get a knockoff (probably), did I get the equivilent of a Culpepper Vikes jersey? What's up with that guy and where can I get some info for Marquez?

Thanks as always and even though I was in Paradise, glad to be back in the 'burgh.

On a side note, if anyone is planning a trip to Mexico, I'd highly recommend the Valentin Imperial Riveria Maya. It's a new resort and it's running at about 40% occupancy so you can go or do what you want with no waiting time, 10 different restaurants, ocean, swim up bars, etc.

KISSwall09.jpg

Does it look like this?

668218.GR.JPG

If it does, then you got a steal. It's listed for way more than that online. Marquez is pretty good. He is one of the leaders on the national team.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Thanks for the help and info. It does look like that, but I'm thinking it's a replica because I'm pretty sure there's no 4 on the front and the font is like the "soccer" font I tried to describe above. It does have the sublimated stuff on the chest though. If I wasn't a week behind of life, writing thank yous, and moving, I'd take a pic, but thanks again for your info.

KISSwall09.jpg

Odds are, if you bought it from a street vendor in Mexico for $40, I'd say with about 99% certainty that it's fake.

The bright side is that you're obviously not a soccer jersey aficionado, so it probably doesn't matter too much - and look at it this way, you could have been scammed off $40 for much worse. ^_^

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

and look at it this way, you could have been scammed off $40 for much worse. ^_^

Dude, guy bought a Mexico shirt. It doesn't really get much worse. :P

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

and look at it this way, you could have been scammed off $40 for much worse. ^_^

Dude, guy bought a Mexico shirt. It doesn't really get much worse. :P

Seriously. Throw it away and repent your sins.

It really is probably fake, in which case, $40 is a lot to pay for a fake. As for it being a Marquez jersey, it's a good purchase. It's by no means a "Culpepper" since Marquez will always be Mexican and can't play for any other country. A Mexican jersey with "Marquez" on the back will never be outdated. He's a quality player who plays his club soccer at Barcelona (which is one of the biggest and best clubs in the world). He's actually one of the few Mexican stars who plays abroad.

I didn't know what forum to put this. I just got back from my honeymoon in Riveria Maya, Mexico. I can count the amount of soccer I've watched my whole life in minutes on one hand. One night I got a little tipsy and bought a soccer jersey off a street vendor. It is the green Mexico jersey, #4 (written like most soccer font of 4 skinny lines making up the digit), R. Marquez, has a red bronco style stripe going up one underarm, and a white reverse bronco style stripe going up the other. It's adidas, has Mexico on the back collar, and the country's soccer patch on the breast. Just wondering if I got screwed for $40 US, did I get a knockoff (probably), did I get the equivilent of a Culpepper Vikes jersey? What's up with that guy and where can I get some info for Marquez?

Thanks as always and even though I was in Paradise, glad to be back in the 'burgh.

On a side note, if anyone is planning a trip to Mexico, I'd highly recommend the Valentin Imperial Riveria Maya. It's a new resort and it's running at about 40% occupancy so you can go or do what you want with no waiting time, 10 different restaurants, ocean, swim up bars, etc.

Nice I too was in Mexico for vacation but I bought an Arsenal and Germany soccer jerseys for what you paid for the Mexico jersey. :P We both bought knockoffs but hey it something to wear around the house or actually playing sports. My Arsenal jersey looks legit with the exception of the font used in the shield logo, and with the Germany jersey the circle logo is little small.

I also agree vacation is fun but nothing beats being back at home.

sig.jpg

This March, I could have bought Madden 2008 for 85 pesoes, or about $8.50 in Guanajuato. Even if it was a bootleg copy and had glitches, it would be worth the risk, since it's 50 bucks up here.

As for soccer jerseys, I saw half the EPL teams, some La Ligas and a ton of Primera Division jerseys. Chivas is so huge in Guadalajara, it's not even funny. Only international team I saw was Mexico. However, through all my desperate searching, I couldn't find a damn Liverpool jersey. <_<

However, I was able to buy a wool Buccaneers poncho for 30 bucks in Puerto Vallarta. Don't know when I'll wear it, but hey, it's awesome and there is no Bucs stuff up here in CT.

uconn2.pngliverpoolfc.png

Having spent part of my life growing up in Mexico, I can tell you that the majority of all soccer jerseys sold on the street are fakes. I only buy my Mexico gear from an Adidas store or online at onionbag.com

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

it looks like you paid the tourist price for a knockoff jersey. they tipically try to sell you those for around $40, claiming their real, and then you're expected to haggle down to like $20 by pointing out its many defects, the fact that you were tipsy is definitely to blame.

The numbers that you are referring to are probably the mexcellent font used (i believe) for the '70 World Cup and is now forever linked to Mexico which means that its probably an earlier adidas model, adidas has been changing Mexico's kits yearly for a while now and they all kinda look alike. I say if the patch is not just printed on and if its a good fit I say keep it and enjoy it.

14ilxq9.png

it looks like you paid the tourist price for a knockoff jersey. they tipically try to sell you those for around $40, claiming their real, and then you're expected to haggle down to like $20 by pointing out its many defects, the fact that you were tipsy is definitely to blame.

The numbers that you are referring to are probably the mexcellent font used (i believe) for the '70 World Cup and is now forever linked to Mexico which means that its probably an earlier adidas model, adidas has been changing Mexico's kits yearly for a while now and they all kinda look alike. I say if the patch is not just printed on and if its a good fit I say keep it and enjoy it.

That font - was that the first time it was used prominently on a soccer jersey?

It's just that when I think of a number font for a soccer jersey, that one comes to mind. It's used for youth leagues and whatnot everywhere...was that the beginning of it?

at least when I was in college it seemed like most every kid who went on study abroad brought back a fake soccer jersey, it's some kind of indie hipster cred or something I guess.

you could do far, far worse.

harperdc.gif

at least when I was in college it seemed like most every kid who went on study abroad brought back a fake soccer jersey, it's some kind of indie hipster cred or something I guess.

you could do far, far worse.

Ha - funny you mention that, I had a friend who just spent a semester in Italy...and what was he wearing the first night he came back?

An obviously fake Fiorentina Mutu jersey.

Archived