2008/2009 Changes in the NHL

AsM29

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure if this has been discussed, but I think that I recall hearing last year that the Flames had only been given permission by the Federal & Provincial Government to use the flags for 1 year.

Does anyone know if I'm making this up, if they were given permission again, or if they'll be dropped?

I hope they get dropped as they were ugggggly.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I think that I recall hearing last year that the Flames had only been given permission by the Federal & Provincial Government to use the flags for 1 year.

Does anyone know if I'm making this up, if they were given permission again, or if they'll be dropped?

Yes. They had to get permission from the two governments and the NHL to wear them for one year. At the time it was said it was to commemorate the 100th anniversary of organized hockey in Alberta.

Also at the time they said that they would need to get permission to wear them going forward beyond last season. I haven't seen any word either way as to whether or not they got that or even sought it.

Yes. They had to get permission from the two governments and the NHL to wear them for one year. At the time it was said it was to commemorate the 100th anniversary of organized hockey in Alberta.

Also at the time they said that they would need to get permission to wear them going forward beyond last season. I haven't seen any word either way as to whether or not they got that or even sought it.

At the entry draft they still had the shoulder flags.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/81652155.jp...A5397277B4DC33E

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Well at last year's draft a lot of the teams were still using their pre-Edge jerseys so that doesn't mean they'll still use the flags.

I hope they are removed. Calgary has fantastic jerseys, the flags are unnesessary blobs of colors that don't belong there. It ruins their overall look.

I still think that B is great, but I'm not a fan of the "RUINS" part, especially the N. It's that same distracting haphazard-serif approach that the Patriots' nameplates have, and I don't like it there, either.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well at last year's draft a lot of the teams were still using their pre-Edge jerseys so that doesn't mean they'll still use the flags.

I hope they are removed. Calgary used to have fantastic jerseys, the flags are unnesessary blobs of colors that don't belong there. It ruins their overall look.

Fixed it for you.

Their current jerseys are one of, if not, the ugliest jerseys in the league.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Their (The Flames) current jerseys are one of, if not, the ugliest jerseys in the league.

I thought people would start liking them in vertical stripes because I think Calgary pulled it off quite nicely. But that's just my opinion. I won't argue because I'm sure I'm in the minority with this thought.

good?....bad? (New Bruins wordmark) I'd love to hear some opinions on this.

I don't care too much about the new wordmark. But keep posting as many images as you can. Thanks for sharing.

The Hockey News Logo Rankings Central

It?s the image that brings a city together and sets it apart from everywhere else. When players say they?re playing for what?s on the front of the jersey, not the back, this is what they are speaking of. The colors, mascots and traditions collide in an emblem forever emblazoned on flags, hats and hoodies ? until some genius in marketing decides to go for a more youthful demographic, that is.

Welcome to The Hockey News' Ultimate Logo Tournament.

Over the course of the next two months, we will first lay out our rankings of every notable league in North America, then let you vote on your favorites.

From your votes, a tournament will be spawned. An event which will pit 40 teams from every league against each other, regardless of home attendance, winning record or prominence.

The Montreal Canadiens may end up facing the Fayetteville FireAntz. The Minnesota Wild could run up against the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Who knows? Tourney time is approaching and it will be madness.

Beginning now, THN.com will start posting our league rankings, from the NHL to the USHL. We assembled a panel of THN staffers to debate the merits of each and every logo, in which the winners were celebrated and the less fortunate eviscerated. Factors such as uniqueness, impact and overall aesthetic were all considered in our choices.

Accompanying each ranking will be a poll, allowing you the reader to pick your favorite from our top 10. For some leagues, that?s everyone. For others, there won?t be enough tickets for the dance. That?s life. Based on the poll results, 40 teams will be chosen ? including at least one from each league (and conference in the case of the NCAA).

Those 40 winners will be part of the tournament, which will also be voted on by you. The showdown commences Sept. 1.

Their (The Flames) current jerseys are one of, if not, the ugliest jerseys in the league.

I thought people would start liking them in vertical stripes because I think Calgary pulled it off quite nicely. But that's just my opinion. I won't argue because I'm sure I'm in the minority with this thought.

In my opinion, the vertical strips are actually ok, but what kills the jersey is the random flags and the random piping.

Archived