2008/2009 Changes in the NHL

AsM29

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, failing marks to Phoenix all the way around. They're trying much too hard to add black to their look. In addition, the coyote looks a little generic and too fox-like, and appears to have hooves. The triangular, pupil-less eye thing is getting really cliche, too. And speaking of generic; another paw print logo? Lastly, that script wordmark just doesn't fit the great identity they'd already established for themselves. Change for change's sake, I say.
The full-body coyote seems incomplete and almost clip-arty, the script, while decent on its own, has nothing to do with the identity, and the paw logo, while I think it looks nice, introduces yet another script, and will likely come-off as a "me too" with Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis also doing the logo-in-circle thing.

If these two posts made whoopie and had a kid-post, and that kid-post grew up, that would be my post.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The pics ASM posted of the Coyotes new alternate are awesome! The main logo looks good and the shoulder logo has that vintage feel to it. Love the wordmark as well. Solid new set for them.

beLEAF

I'm not diggin the outlines on the Sabres logo just yet. I think it will look ok on the jersey though. But who cares its 100x better than the slug.

The pics ASM posted of the Coyotes new alternate are awesome! The main logo looks good and the shoulder logo has that vintage feel to it.

Which is just perfect, for a team that first took the ice in 1997. <_<

That's what I've been saying about the Minnesota Wild. They jerseys are nice, but the team really doesn't warrant a vintage-type jersey.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The pics ASM posted of the Coyotes new alternate are awesome! The main logo looks good and the shoulder logo has that vintage feel to it.

That's what I've been saying about the Minnesota Wild. They jerseys are nice, but the team really doesn't warrant a vintage-type jersey.

So they're supposed to have some garish monstrosity as befitting their status as a newbie team? Ergh. Vintage-styling should not be only afforded to the older teams. Some of the young'uns have taste, too.

So they're supposed to have some garish monstrosity as befitting their status as a newbie team? Ergh. Vintage-styling should not be only afforded to the older teams. Some of the young'uns have taste, too.

Especially Minnesota, which is a very passionate hockey state.

Traditional != retro.

There's going with a classic-traditional look, and then there's selling out to contrived retroness.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not a fan at all of the Coyotes new logos.

The paw print is way too generic. The script belongs in baseball. The leaping coyote is way out of perspective: the leg that is supposed to be behind the other back leg is somehow bigger?

Boo-urns

For Phoenix Im assuming full body Coyote on the front, circle logo on the shoulders. But, I wonder where theyre gonna use the script?

If I didn't know what they were using for the crest, I woudn't want to know. :wacko:

Traditional != retro.

There's going with a classic-traditional look, and then there's selling out to contrived retroness.

I don't think there's anything wrong with sporting a classic look with simple lines that work. It's a heck of a lot better than going with a contrived edge style templated jersey with crazy lines and fabric patches all over the place that don't accentuate the form whatsoever.

So what if a young team like Phoenix has an old style jersey with familiar cues? Their current look works a hell of a lot better than their old picasso logo'd duds and that's all that really matters.

In hockey retro basically means a simple look and over time those jerseys tend to look better. The teams that go for modern styling fads conversely end up looking dated after a few short years. Remember when diagonal lines and sublimated patterns was the in thing? Most of us would rather forget those fads.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Traditional != retro.

I don't think there's anything wrong with sporting a classic look with simple lines that work. It's a heck of a lot better than going with a contrived edge style templated jersey with crazy lines and fabric patches all over the place that don't accentuate the form whatsoever.

So what if a young team like Phoenix has an old style jersey with familiar cues? Their current look works a hell of a lot better than their old picasso logo'd duds and that's all that really matters.

In hockey retro basically means a simple look and over time those jerseys tend to look better. The teams that go for modern styling fads conversely end up looking dated after a few short years. Remember when diagonal lines and sublimated patterns was the in thing? Most of us would rather forget those fads.

I think you missed my point. There is a simple / traditional look (like the Coyotes, TML, Red Wings, etc), there is a legit old-style look (Montreal), and then there is contrived retro (Minnesota home.)

Granted, I don't think that the Minnesota home is that bad of an offender, but the whole circle around the logo thing, the cream trim, and lace-up collar are clearly designed to emulate a uniform that would have been worn 80 years ago... but wasn't.

FWIW, if they took away the circle thing and lace-up collar, I'd love those jerseys.

Archived