2008/2009 Changes in the NHL

AsM29

Carolina will be getting one this year and Detroit will be wearing a Vintage jersey at the winter classic meaning that the Devil's will be the only team to never have a third jersey.

Your absolutely right. The Devils need to start their own vintage nights and bring back the green and red jerseys. That way, they will finally be like the rest of the league and have more than 2 jerseys!

I never quite understood what New Jersey was thinking, making the Devils colors red and green....

They were the colors of a minor-league team in NJ during the 1950's, the Jersey Devils.

As i understand it, the red obviously represented the color of a devil, fire, what-have-you. Makes sense.

The green was for the Pine Barrens, the legendary home of the Jersey Devil.

On the surface it made sense. In reality, they looked Italian, but those uniforms still hold a place in my heart, and i love them to this day.

I had never realized that on the Devils green and red jerseys. I only heard the legend of the Jersey Devil in the late 90s. Those were some sharp looking unis back in the day. While I'm more a fan of the black and red myself (its simple), there's something that looks really cool with it when they're on the ice. They're definitely one team whose had some good sets.

Stars-NorthStarsJerseys.png

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Devil/Pine Barrens symbolism plus the Italian symbolism made the old Jersey Devils set pretty great. Red and black? It's been done, and better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, complementary colors, unless red tells green he's a nice guy, but your point stands. I think the Bucks look great in their new old colors.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They are so forcing the black.

They are adding a black jersey...

I don't know if anyone's pointed it out, but that entire Pacific Division will have a black jersey now. The Ducks, Stars, and Kings already had black home jerseys, and now the Sharks and Coyotes will be rolling out black alternate jerseys. That's one bland division when it comes to jersey colors.

Then again, the NHL doesn't really have all that much of a difference of color....you have reds and blues and blacks, and a limited amount of other colors.....

LA's alternate will also be black. So that means there will be six black jerseys between five teams that will play each other six times each.

They are so forcing the black.

They are adding a black jersey...

I don't know if anyone's pointed it out, but that entire Pacific Division will have a black jersey now. The Ducks, Stars, and Kings already had black home jerseys, and now the Sharks and Coyotes will be rolling out black alternate jerseys. That's one bland division when it comes to jersey colors.

Then again, the NHL doesn't really have all that much of a difference of color....you have reds and blues and blacks, and a limited amount of other colors.....

LA's alternate will also be black. So that means there will be six black jerseys between five teams that will play each other six times each.

At least the other colors are Green, Purple, Orange, and Teal. A lot, if not too much black now, but the most diverse and atypical color schemes in the league.

Carolina will be getting one this year and Detroit will be wearing a Vintage jersey at the winter classic meaning that the Devil's will be the only team to never have a third jersey.

Your absolutely right. The Devils need to start their own vintage nights and bring back the green and red jerseys. That way, they will finally be like the rest of the league and have more than 2 jerseys!

I never quite understood what New Jersey was thinking, making the Devils colors red and green....

They were the colors of a minor-league team in NJ during the 1950's, the Jersey Devils.

As i understand it, the red obviously represented the color of a devil, fire, what-have-you. Makes sense.

The green was for the Pine Barrens, the legendary home of the Jersey Devil.

On the surface it made sense. In reality, they looked Italian, but those uniforms still hold a place in my heart, and i love them to this day.

I had never realized that on the Devils green and red jerseys. I only heard the legend of the Jersey Devil in the late 90s. Those were some sharp looking unis back in the day. While I'm more a fan of the black and red myself (its simple), there's something that looks really cool with it when they're on the ice. They're definitely one team whose had some good sets.

Well Detroit has worn vintage jerseys before so I don't think the winter classic jersey should count. I personally think the Devils will be the first of the two to get a third jersey because who knows what will happen after Lou Lams.

The winter classic jersey doesnt count as an alternate jersey. Its a one time thing. Carolina will have an alternate this year leaving the Devils, Habs (I dont think they've had one..have they?) and Wings as the only teams to never have an alternate jersey. That doesn't inclue special anniversary/winter classic/etc. jerseys.

beLEAF

The winter classic jersey doesnt count as an alternate jersey. Its a one time thing. Carolina will have an alternate this year leaving the Devils, Habs (I dont think they've had one..have they?) and Wings as the only teams to never have an alternate jersey. That doesn't inclue special anniversary/winter classic/etc. jerseys.

Yes, they had a white version of their home jersey. Essentially a jersey they wore from 1944 to 1947 but it was indeed an alternate.

Don't forget about the Anahiem Ducks. They don't have an alt. either.

he wasn't listing teams that don't have one. he was listing teams that have NEVER had one.

anaheim has had at least 4 alternate jerseys in their history, just off the top of my head.

Don't forget about the Anahiem Ducks. They don't have an alt. either.

he wasn't listing teams that don't have one. he was listing teams that have NEVER had one.

anaheim has had at least 4 alternate jerseys in their history, just off the top of my head.

Well, I consider the Ducks different from the Mighty Ducks, so...

No reason you should do that. its the same exact team.

Not entirely. There is a new ownership, and a slight name change. I'd consider that enough to make them their own distinctive teams...

yahh..but..no one moved. same players. same basic name. just my opinion, there's only been one team.

i think, in order for there to be a new team, than it must either be expansion or relocating.

Not entirely. There is a new ownership, and a slight name change. I'd consider that enough to make them their own distinctive teams...

yahh..but..no one moved. same players. same basic name. just my opinion, there's only been one team.

i think, in order for there to be a new team, than it must either be expansion or relocating.

Yah exactley.

I think the same way of the Tampa Bay Rays.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I think that I recall hearing last year that the Flames had only been given permission by the Federal & Provincial Government to use the flags for 1 year.

Does anyone know if I'm making this up, if they were given permission again, or if they'll be dropped?

Archived