2008/2009 Changes in the NHL

AsM29

Again, I'll say that I'm not a fan of most of these jerseys. It's either a boring wordmark or a throwback for throwbacks sake. I am also against (for personal reasons, although I think the sweater is nice) Pitts going blue. I will say that I'll take the winter classic jersey over another black jersey, gold sleeves, the number on the chest and the word Pens going diagonal down the chest. I'm sure that's what we would have gotten (or gold with black sleeves) if there wasn't so much praise over the WC jersey and a societal boner for powder blue.

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like: Thrashers script, Sabres with silver, Full body Coyote, 'Bolts' script

Dislike: Coyotes new alt logo and script

the script doesn't go well with their identity, and the alt logo is so bland

espnsignq8.png

Not a fan at all of the Coyotes new logos.

The paw print is way too generic. The script belongs in baseball. The leaping coyote is way out of perspective: the leg that is supposed to be behind the other back leg is somehow bigger?

Boo-urns

Are you shouting Boo or Boo-urns?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Los Angeles Kings, Ottawa Senators, and St. Louis Blues are "TBD"

So, maybe faint hope that Ottawa didn't go with the rumoured "Sens" on the jerseys? I'm really hoping the updated profile logo they unveiled last year actually you know...appears on a jersey. SENS is just lame.

The pics ASM posted of the Coyotes new alternate are awesome! The main logo looks good and the shoulder logo has that vintage feel to it.

Which is just perfect, for a team that first took the ice in 1997. <_<

Minnesota Wild have always been credited with a vintage style look...and they started after Phoenix. So... <_<

beLEAF

Here are the bolts and sens...

boltsthird.jpg

*hangs from the showerrod*
Tampa Bay Lightning:

tbllightning.jpg

I'm withholding judgement for now.

More importantly, has anyone checked on BigShoop?

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Los Angeles Kings, Ottawa Senators, and St. Louis Blues are "TBD"

So, maybe faint hope that Ottawa didn't go with the rumoured "Sens" on the jerseys? I'm really hoping the updated profile logo they unveiled last year actually you know...appears on a jersey. SENS is just lame.

No, it's confirmed that it'll be "Sens". The guy who posted those logos just didn't have those.

Is there a better free program than just using MS Paint to create these high quality realistic looking mock ups of jerseys?

Have you tried photoshop?

Photoshop certainly isn't free.

Try Inkscape.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Los Angeles Kings, Ottawa Senators, and St. Louis Blues are "TBD"...

I'm still having trouble visualizing LA's "pencil-point" logo. Anyone care to venture a guess as to how it may look?

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Since the Sabres added silver to the logo, I wonder if they will add it to the jerseys.

Something like this maybe...

testbm5.png

From what I can tell, this is how I think the Sabres logo looks...

test2mv0.png

That is possibly the best Sabres concept or actual jersey I have seen in my life. If they do create anything like that I would buy one the day it came out. Amazing.

saBS.png

The pics ASM posted of the Coyotes new alternate are awesome! The main logo looks good and the shoulder logo has that vintage feel to it.

Which is just perfect, for a team that first took the ice in 1997. <_<

That's what I've been saying about the Minnesota Wild. They jerseys are nice, but the team really doesn't warrant a vintage-type jersey.

So they're supposed to have some garish monstrosity as befitting their status as a newbie team? Ergh. Vintage-styling should not be only afforded to the older teams. Some of the young'uns have taste, too.

Especially Minnesota, which is a very passionate hockey state.

...With a very long, rich hockey history at many levels. That's why they can do a vintage look, and Phoenix can't.

I think any team can pull off a classic uniform. No need for the rookies to dress like clowns until they become veterans.

Look like you've been there before, boys.

But isn't it silly for cities like Phoenix, Dallas, Anaheim and Nashville to try to pull off the "old-time hockey" vibe?

I think any team can pull off a classic uniform. No need for the rookies to dress like clowns until they become veterans.

But isn't it silly for cities like Phoenix, Dallas, Anaheim and Nashville to try to pull off the "old-time hockey" vibe?

If most teams are currently doing it then it's no longer "old-time hockey", it's "today's look"

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

firstly, i don't see dallas as wearing "retro" inspired uniforms like minnesota, as much as they just wear simple and respectable uniforms. arched-text on the front of a uniform has been by colleges for years, and the rangers in the nhl for a short period of time, so it's not like their home/alternate uniforms are going original-six... and there's nothing at all "traditional" about the collars or front-numbers on the stars uniforms as a whole. i think you're confusing simplicity with retro, which i don't agree with. not every team needs to look like the florida panthers or st. louis blues new uniforms.

secondly, there are only 6 teams in the NHL that have been around longer than the stars, so i think they can pull off a classic look if they want. saying the stars shouldn't wear simple classic uniforms, because they've only been in their current market for 15 years is ridiculous.

should the arizona cardinals have changed uniforms to be less traditional every time they moved to a new city? should the colts have drastically modernized their look when they moved to indy? the raiders in their oakland/los angeles/oakland swaps?

while it's not always the best fairy-tale story, there are many professional sports teams that have rich and interesting histories that are independent of any specific city. as long as the team wants to honor and remember it's past (like the dodgers, cardinals, stars, flames, hornets, and jazz, to name a few), they should be allowed to. i'd hate it if the dallas stars had nothing to do with the minnesota north stars history. i'm lucky that the stars go out of their way to remember their roots. it sure beats teams that try to pretend they're an expansion team (coyotes, okc-nba, avalanche, etc). in my eyes at least.

Archived