What city should be Loser-ville U.S.A?

dbackdiehard17

I would say Buffalo

No, no, no. If a tournament to find Loserville, USA were actually held, Buffalo would be the favorite that breezed to the finals, only to be upset by Cleveland on a controversial call that failed to bring the Browns' pre-Super Bowl NFL championships into account. Buffalo citizens, outraged that they can't even win at losing, would be bitter and angry at ESPN for decades to come.

Well why cant Buffalo's back to back AFL titles count?

Buffalo won an 8-team league in 1964 and 1965.

Compared to today's standards, that feat would be like making the Conference Title Game in back-to-back years.

Same goes with Cleveland counting AAFC Titles.

I think not.

The Browns won 4 stright AAFC titles then backed it up by winning the NFL championship in there first year in the NFL.

Has any other team won an NFL title their first year of joining the NFL?

No, and it will never happen again.

I seem to recall that particular edition of the Cleveland Browns being less "The Cleveland Browns" and more "The AAFC All Star team". I'd hope your all star team would win a league title.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say Buffalo

No, no, no. If a tournament to find Loserville, USA were actually held, Buffalo would be the favorite that breezed to the finals, only to be upset by Cleveland on a controversial call that failed to bring the Browns' pre-Super Bowl NFL championships into account. Buffalo citizens, outraged that they can't even win at losing, would be bitter and angry at ESPN for decades to come.

Compared to today's standards, that feat would be like making the Conference Title Game in back-to-back years.

I think not.

The Browns won 4 stright AAFC titles then backed it up by winning the NFL championship in there first year in the NFL.

I seem to recall that particular edition of the Cleveland Browns being less "The Cleveland Browns" and more "The AAFC All Star team". I'd hope your all star team would win a league title.

You seem to recall? How old are you 85? So it shouldn't count then? If that's the case, I say we take away The Yankees titles in '77 & '78, and The Marlins win in '97. I'm sure there are more.

BB52Big.jpg

There is one big, huge, glaring omission from the cities that have been nominated on this thread so far.

Milwaukee.

The Packers don't count - they haven't even played a game in Milwaukee in about 15 years. The Brewers have been to exactly one World Series in franchise history, and lost it. The Bucks haven't had a sniff of the NBA Finals since the '70s. Marquette was once a college basketball powerhouse but their heyday is long gone. UW-Milwaukee is, well, UW-Milwaukee. Did I miss anyone?

CCSLC signature.png

I would say Buffalo

I think not.

You seem to recall? How old are you 85? So it shouldn't count then? If that's the case, I say we take away The Yankees titles in '77 & '78, and The Marlins win in '97. I'm sure there are more.

OK...should have added "reading".

That said, the justification for factoring in the Browns' AAFC titles was their subsequent NFL title. If its a different crew that won the NFL title, said justification falls flat.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I would say Buffalo

I think not.

That said, the justification for factoring in the Browns' AAFC titles was their subsequent NFL title. If its a different crew that won the NFL title, said justification falls flat.

How so? Rosters change every season. I guess we'd better take away The Celtics title this season because the look of the team was so much different from last year. Let's face it, without Allen and Garnett there's no way that team wins it all. So they added new, better players and won. What's the difference? The number of new players? How many does it take before we decide that it's too many for a title to count? A win is a win period. The Browns won that title regardless of who was playing for them or where they came from. If we're going to start qualifying titles based on subjective criteria such as who is new on the roster from the year before then we're going to be here a while arguing every title since the first World Series. Just saying...

BB52Big.jpg

I would say Buffalo

I think not.

It wasn't "a different crew". The Browns AAFC teams were mostly the same players that joined the NFL in the 1950 season. I believe that any of those 4 AAFC Browns teams could have contended and or won an NFL title. They also went into Philly and beat the defending NFL champs for their first NFL game.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

I would say Buffalo

I think not.

How so? Rosters change every season. I guess we'd better take away The Celtics title this season because the look of the team was so much different from last year. Let's face it, without Allen and Garnett there's no way that team wins it all. So they added new, better players and won. What's the difference? The number of new players? How many does it take before we decide that it's too many for a title to count? A win is a win period. The Browns won that title regardless of who was playing for them or where they came from. If we're going to start qualifying titles based on subjective criteria such as who is new on the roster from the year before then we're going to be here a while arguing every title since the first World Series. Just saying...

I'm not saying their NFL title shouldn't count. I'm saying that because of the changes, we don't know if the Cleveland Browns that won 4 straight AAFC titles would have actually won the NFL title.

Today, we are all otaku.

There is one big, huge, glaring omission from the cities that have been nominated on this thread so far.

Milwaukee.

The Packers don't count - they haven't even played a game in Milwaukee in about 15 years. The Brewers have been to exactly one World Series in franchise history, and lost it. The Bucks haven't had a sniff of the NBA Finals since the '70s. Marquette was once a college basketball powerhouse but their heyday is long gone. UW-Milwaukee is, well, UW-Milwaukee. Did I miss anyone?

Milwaukee is still subject to the same blackout laws as Green Bay when it comes to the Packers... they're a Milwaukee team.

Marquette made the Final Four in 2003... not exactly yesterday, but not what I would consider "long gone" by any means.

The Bucks made the ECF in 2001. And in light of recent evidence may have literally had their chance at the NBA Finals stolen from them.

UWM made the Sweet Sixteen in 2005, which is really as far as you can realistically expect a Horizon League team to go.

The Brewers... well... if one of the criteria for "loserville" is lack of fan support, then the fact that the Brewers have never been at the bottom of MLB in attendance (despite some TERRIBLE teams in the past 15 years) bumps them off the list.

And if we're including minor league teams, then Milwaukee has 2 indoor soccer titles, an AHL title, and a USL title all in the 21st century.

The Browns may have had the best team in all of football during the AAFC years but the rest of the league was garbage.

Folks from Burning River City need to come to grips with the fact that of the cities with three or more Major League pro teams they are at the top of the list for Loser-Ville.

I'm not saying their NFL title shouldn't count. I'm saying that because of the changes, we don't know if the Cleveland Browns that won 4 straight AAFC titles would have actually won the NFL title.

We don't know that they wouldn't have either so your argument still falls flat.

BB52Big.jpg

The Browns may have had the best team in all of football during the AAFC years but the rest of the league was garbage.

Folks from Burning River City need to come to grips with the fact that of the cities with three or more Major League pro teams they are at the top of the list for Loser-Ville.

Cute. Did you think of that one all by yourself? Or did you dust it off from the 70's and simply hope you could fool people into thinking it was an original?

BB52Big.jpg

Cute. Did you think of that one all by yourself? Or did you dust it off from the 70's and simply hope you could fool people into thinking it was an original?

...or maybe he just wanted to use the phrase?

just sayin...

oBIgzrL.png

...or maybe he just wanted to use the phrase?

just sayin...

...or maybe I was being sarcastic? just sayin'... :D

BB52Big.jpg

True.

Of course, since the NFL champion at the time also won a scarcely larger 10 team league, maybe I should conceed defeat and call it "moot".

Today, we are all otaku.

True.

Of course, since the NFL champion at the time also won a scarcely larger 10 team league, maybe I should conceed defeat and call it "moot".

Or we could both concede and call it what it is...our opinion. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Hey it's what the Cleveland Roller Derby team call's itself.

http://www.burningriverrollergirls.com/

Roller Derby? We have a Roller Derby team?

BB52Big.jpg

Roller Derby? We have a Roller Derby team?

Yes a all GIRL roller derby team.

Minnesota- other than the Twins and Gopher Hockey, we got nothin'

Vikes- 4 super bowls, 15-1, 41-0, losing the NFC north title on the last play of the season in 2003, the Herschel Walker trade, love boat.

Gophers- football hasn't been revelant since the 1960's. 1997 Final Four team cheated

T-Wolves- too many to mention, trading away KG.

North Stars- leave and win a Stanley Cup in Dalla

Cleveland is the only city I can put in our league.

minn.png

Archived