What city should be Loser-ville U.S.A?

dbackdiehard17

Juiced Sports Blog wants to know:

Who's the worst sports city in the USA?

What city should be Loser-ville, USA?

UPDATE:

We have narrowed our list to 16 thanks to fan voting, and have decided to base the competition strictly off of PRO teams.

You wanted a criteria? Well, we've established that too. We will be getting everything underway, very soon. So check out the criteria, get a look at the final 16, and be sure to vote when the time comes, so we can determine LOSER-VILLE, U.S.A!

Loser-ville: the 16 who will vie for the crown of worst sports city in America and criteria

Participation is highly encouraged once we begin, because it is clear from these forums and other outlets across the internet that there is a great debate about this. So again, thanks for all your nominees, and arguments. We will be starting the tournament within the week.

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear by nominate the City of Brotherly Suck aka Cheese Steak Land

The Eagles no success since 1960

The Flyers no success since 1975

The Sillies 1 championship only 1 that is 1 Championship in 125 years ever blind squirrels find more acorns. Lets not forget 10,000 losses, and Mitch my man Williams watching the ball sail deep into the Toronto Night.

Then the 76ers 25 years and counting and the same for the entire town.

They Boo Santa their mayor throws snowballs, and Ben Franklin is pissed that they put buildings over his head.

:evil::D

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well I'd nominate Philadelphia, but let's look at their criteria:

a) been absolutley awful recently, whether it be in pro sports or college. And if you can find a high school bad enough in sports that they deserve to be on this list, well, we commend you, and we’d be more then happy to consider them.

Haven't really been awful recently. Eagles one of the winningest teams of the decade, Phillies defending division champs, Flyers and Sixers both in the playoffs (though both were pretty terrible the prior season.)

b.) historically bad, whether it be an area that hasn’t won a championship in years (like 20) or if its a college, a school that hasn’t won a meaningful championship in only who knows when.

Don't really need to say much about this one. It's been mentioned to death how the last major championship here was 1983.

c) have atrocious fan support, so bad that the teams are either just about out the door or that their fans stopped showing up.

Much like A, this one's not applicable here.

d) have been run so poorly that there seems like there is absolutley no hope whatsoever, and that makes you sad.

This one's tough. There's been plenty of times that I've felt that the Phillies and Eagles had no shot due to their ownership / management. I still kind of feel that way about the Phillies, and many around here feel that way about the Eagles (I'm not one of them though) but the recent successes kind of squash those thoughts. Back in the Ed Wade (Phillies) and Norman Braman (Eagles) eras this one would certainly apply. As for the Flyers, while they haven't won anything, they have one of the best ownership situations in all of sports. The Sixers sucked balls when Harold Katz ran the team, then it got better for a while under Croce / Brown, then got crappy with Billy King, but now it's getting better again. So I'd say this one doesn't apply either.

So we've got only 1 out of 4 applicable to us - I'd say that disqualifies Philadelphia from claiming the crown.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Again, Tank - you show your ignorance. It's WILLIAM PENN (you know, he kind of put the PENN in PENNSYLVANIA?) who is on top of City Hall. Not Ben Franklin.

But I guess you probably think that Ben Franklin was one of our best presidents too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sadly, I'd have to nominate Atlanta, and they would easily win amongst the markets with a team in each of the "Big Four".

-The Braves haven't been awful, but the last 2+ seasons, they're a few games under .500. To quote Dean Wormer: "Congratulations Braves, you're at the top of the class!"

-The Falcons were basically an 8-8 team the two seasons prior to "Disaster 2007". They're realistically two seasons away from being a playoff contender.

-The Hawks, despite being the city's lone postseason representative, were a 37-45 team. Nonetheless, they are a team that's shown improvement for the past 2-3 years.

-The Thrashers won the division in the 2006-07 season, but have still yet to win a playoff game, and took a huge step backwards last season.

-Georgia Tech, in the two sports that garner the most attention in the NCAA, sits in mediocrity in the ACC.

In addition, the city as a whole only has 1 world championship since 1966, when the Braves and Falcons launched Atlanta into the top-tier sports world. No championships won here since 1995.....

Atlanta is notorius for their shoddy fan support. The Falcons' ownership situation is solid, and the Braves' ownership is still an uncertainty, as they've only been in charge for under two years. The ownership for the Hawks and Thrashers, as we all know, has been a running joke for the past four years.

Sheesh....in the 1999 calendar year, the Falcons were in the Super Bowl, the Braves were in the World Series, and the Hawks were regular playoff competitors. What happened?

Thank goodness for Georgia football.....

Again, Tank - you show your ignorance. It's WILLIAM PENN (you know, he kind of put the PENN in PENNSYLVANIA?) who is on top of City Hall. Not Ben Franklin.

But I guess you probably think that Ben Franklin was one of our best presidents too.

William Penn was probably a Democrat. Maybe that's why Tank refused to acknowledge him. :D

On topic, these ESPN inspired lists are almost as stupid as they are subjective. Or to paraphrase the genius of BringBackTheVet... No intelligent discussion has ever included the phrases "who/what was the best ever" "where is titletown?" or "where is loservillle?" , except when used in the context of "no intelligent discussion has ever included the phrases "who/what was the best ever" "where is titletown?" or "where is loservillle?"

BB52Big.jpg

As much as I love the city, I would have to say Philadelphia. The Phillies are 125 years old and have won ONE world series. The Eagles haven't won since 1960. The Flyers and Sixers since the 70s and 80s. It's almost unfathomable how much failure and near success Philadelphia has gone through. It will continue to last until William Penn lifts his curse...

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

I would say Buffalo

Seconded. Despite just posting a sentence on how I praise their past logos, I do unfortunately believe that they are...a city of losers.

None of their major league teams have ever won a Championship, so I don't think any other factor could top that. I don't know if my poor heart could endure something as painful as 4 consecutive SB loses without forgetting the numourous playoff disapointments of the Sabres.

At least a few of their other teams like the IL's Buffalo Bisons or the NLL's Buffalo Bandits have made it all the way in their respective leagues.

On topic, these ESPN inspired lists are almost as stupid as they are subjective. Or to paraphrase the genius of BringBackTheVet... No intelligent discussion has ever included the phrases "who/what was the best ever" "where is titletown?" or "where is loservillle?" , except when used in the context of "no intelligent discussion has ever included the phrases "who/what was the best ever" "where is titletown?" or "where is loservillle?"

I generally agree, but this is a slow time for sports, you can't blame ESPN for trying to do something gimmicky to bring in viewers. I was rather suprised Valdosta was one of the Finalists for this Titletown thing.

I know they can't do it every year, but ESPN hit a jackpot when they did the "50 States in 50 Days" series a few years ago. I'd like to see something more to that effect, something that we can be educated/informed on in the sporting world that we normally wouldn't think about here in the US, and not so much these popularity voting contests.....

I would say Buffalo

Seconded. Despite just posting a sentence on how I praise their past logos, I do unfortunately believe that they are...a city of losers.

None of their major league teams have ever won a Championship, so I don't think any other factor could top that. I don't know if my poor heart could endure something as painful as 4 consecutive SB loses without forgetting the numourous playoff disapointments of the Sabres.

At least a few of their other teams like the IL's Buffalo Bisons or the NLL's Buffalo Bandits have made it all the way in their respective leagues.

Sadly, I agree. However the Bills did win the AFL Championship in 1964 and 1965.

The only cities that are close are Cleveland, San Diego and Philly.

saBS.png

Upon reading the first post in this thread my immediate response was, "Cincinnati," but then I remembered that the Reds managed to win the World Series in 1990 - an event so forgettable that, well, I forgot it.

Next up was Kansas City, but again a World Series title (1985) bounced into my memory, thus rendering the city eliminated.

If not for the Steelers win in Super Bowl XL Pittsburgh would surely be a candidate.

So it went to the fourth city that came to my mind - one whose tradition of championships is actually quite long and distinguished, but one that's also viewed as ancient. Not one of its teams among the 'big four' sports has won a league championship in my lifetime, and while periodically fielding teams that can contend for a title for the past 44 years they've failed to bring one home - and only twice since have even been in an opportunity to do so. It was even so bad that movies were made about the city's ineptitude.

That said, submitted for your approval or scorn, I present the city of Cleveland, Ohio. Loserville, USA.

nav-logo.png

I would say Buffalo

Sadly, I agree. However the Bills did win the AFL Championship in 1964 and 1965.

With regard to Cleveland I respectfully disagree. This is the perfect example of why these lists are so stupid. Are we talking all-time or just since ESPN came on to the scene? The Indians have won the World Series twice. The Browns appeared in 10 straight title games from 1946-56 winning 7 of them. The Browns were NFL Champions in 1950, 1954, 1955, and 1964. Let's not ignore the 3 other AL pennants for the Indians and an Eastern Conference title for The Cavs. Historically, Cleveland stacks up somewhat better than San Diego or Philly.

Speaking of Philly, are we supposed to ignore those great Connie Mack A's teams? They only won The World Series in 1910, 1911, and 1913. How about the Flyers 2 Stanley Cup wins? Do the 1948, 1949, and 1960 NFL titles for The Eagles not count? The Sixers won the NBA title in 1967 and 1983. And then there's that World Series title The Phillies won in 1980.

Believe it or not, sports actually existed before 1979. So when we do these ESPN lists are we taking a city's entire sports history into account or just their history post-Sportscenter?

BB52Big.jpg

I would say Buffalo

With regard to Cleveland I respectfully disagree. This is the perfect example of why these lists are so stupid. Are we talking all-time or just since ESPN came on to the scene? The Indians have won the World Series twice. The Browns appeared in 10 straight title games from 1946-56 winning 7 of them. The Browns were NFL Champions in 1950, 1954, 1955, and 1964. Let's not ignore the 3 other AL pennants for the Indians and an Eastern Conference title for The Cavs. Historically, Cleveland stacks up somewhat better than San Diego or Philly.

Speaking of Philly, are we supposed to ignore those great Connie Mack A's teams? They only won The World Series in 1910, 1911, and 1913. How about the Flyers 2 Stanley Cup wins? Do the 1948, 1949, and 1960 NFL titles for The Eagles not count? The Sixers won the NBA title in 1967 and 1983. And then there's that World Series title The Phillies won in 1980.

Believe it or not, sports actually existed before 1979. So when we do these ESPN lists are we taking a city's entire sports history into account or just their history post-Sportscenter?

THE criteria is posted on the first link in that article. Read it, and you will have a better idea about what we're looking for...

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

The reason I chose Cleveland was due to a number of things.

- It's been since 1964 that any team has won anything.

- Cleveland's managed to LOSE both an NHL team and an NFL team at some point in their history. Not many cities can boast that.

- The indians went on this small 40 year run where they didn't make the playoffs. And not only did they not make the playoffs, but they rarely finished higher than 4th. My uncle was at that Perfect game with about 2,000 other people.

- The Browns are one of only a handful of franchises who have yet to participate in a super bowl.

- The Cavaliers were wholly irrelevant in the late 90's and early 00's and were one of the worst teams in the league for much of their history.

- and the heartbreaking high profile ways teams find a way to lose puts them in a lot of people's minds when it comes to losing. The famous ones are the most recent NBA finals sweep, the 97 world series to a 5 year old expansion team, red right 88, the drive, the fumble. You know, the classics. Cleveland's had it rough, you can't dispute that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Montreal.

Any city with fans dumb enough to riot after beating the Bruins in 7 (when they could have finished them in 5) has to be a poor excuse for a sports town.

Edit: Oops. I guess that makes it Loserville Canada. Oh well.

Loserville USA? Cleveland.

Archived