College Football Concepts

-(dp)-

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geez a lot of people are using argyle for UNC concepts lately.

Well :censored:! Why ever might that be?

Jesus, DP, these look great. With the Mizzou the biggest think I don't like is the gold. I think it looks too vomit-y. I would almost rather see it be Vegas gold, of course I think ideal would be somewhere in the middle.

On UNC I honestly can't think of anything negative to say. If I do I'll let you know though :P

Nice job.

(Oh, and I'm pulling this out of my ass but I'd like to see what you might do for Northwestern)

Mr. Devin...

...I must say, I am mighty impressed.

I finally got around to looking at all these here, so let me take it set by set.

MICHIGAN STATE

More green = automatic plus. Now, in looking at how you have the shoulder loops, they look a little convex (curved outward). You might try something along a similar line with the pants striping? Just an idea, for the sake of uniqueness.

I myself happen to like the "State" wordmark myself, and it doesn't look bad here. That you used a slight but of silver trim is also a plus in my eyes--adds a little bit of "pop". About the only thing I ain't sold on is the numbers--but that's jsut because of my growing belief that unique numbers aid in the branding of a team's look as much as any other element. As is, though, it isn't bad. (Might I offer a suggestion? Try using the numbers that MSU uses for its B-ball jerseys.)

ARIZONA

This one I'm kinda on the fence with. I do like the return to the previous-era, if only in part. I think I see what you were trying to accomplish with the striping arrangements (red, white, blue, in order, akin to the U of Florida's striping arrangements). I think it'd be better if you kept the shoulder stripes apart on the blue and red jerseys like you have on the white jersey (same deal with the blue pants). Oh--and props on the return to white helmets--BIG TIME plus. I give it a B+.

VIRGINIA

I'm liking this one. A lot. I'm loving the sabre-ish effect you've got going on with the jerseys (in fact, I've tested several different versions of that for my upcoming Hampton University Pirates concept). About the only thing I'm not sold on is how that orange piping wraps back around the bottom and back towards the front--although I think that would probably lok much better when viewed in action. It does make for a nice pants stripe, though. Props on the return of TV numbers, as well (seems to be a quickly disappearing element of college FB uniforms lately.)

INDIANA

It's about TIME the Hoosiers got some cream up in the mix. I never understood why they never incorporated that color anywhere on their uniforms. I like the straight-basic approach for IU, simplu because it is IU--and after seeing the "modern" style uniforms the school went to during the Antwaan Randle El days (which wasn't bad--it just wasnt' right for IU), I think people would readily accept this here. Again, I see what you were going for with the striping arrangements here--but in this case, I think it works really well, because it makes for three different-looking sets of pants. Overall, going this route would definitely set IU apart from Oklahoma, Alabama, Arkansas (well, before the "tight" uniforms they have now), and other similarly-colored schools. For that, you get a big fat "A".

MISSOURI

You basically took my favorite of the "modern" uniform styles out there and...made it better, in my eyes. True, Misouri currently uses a templated Nike design, but I believe they were also the first with that design. All that said, this would be a nice update for them. I do like that you feautred they diagonally-bisected striping effect there. As you said (because I said it first), I do like that for Missouri--don't think any other school utilizes that effect. And, and, AND...thank you for fixing one of the glaring problems with Mizzou's current jerseys--the backward-facing tiger on the left sleeve.

All that apart, I do think you might need to lighten up that gold a little bit--as it is now, it's a tad bit too dull. And also, with the jersey numbers, the black jersey has San Diego-style outlines, while the white jersey does not. Might wanna do something about that for the sake of uniformity. But still...overall...nnnniiiiiccceee!!!!!!

NORTH CAROLINA

Upon seeing this here, one thing immediately jumped out at me: the blue. It appears a bit, um, electric, whereas NC normally uses a more muted, bubblegum-ish colombia blue (get with me offline about that--and a few other things). Now to this sublimated argyle thing...while part of me likes it, the other part wonders how well that would translate onto the football field--although if anyone would be able to make that work, it'd be Nike. It's definitely an interesting idea, that's for sure.

Let's see what you cook up next.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Again, thanks for the comments. Some of the colors may be off, and now that I look at it, that UNC blue is too bright, as Brandon mentioned.

Brandon, I agree about unique fonts, and I'm quite surprised that 5 of these 6 ended up with plain block numbers. I never thought of using State's basketball number font, but I really like the idea. I also may try what you said with the pants stripe.

ON the Arizona uniforms, I had actually tried that, but I think it achieved a much cleaner with the striping the way it is now. As far as uniformity on the Mizzou numbers, they were done that way with the thought of having them match the helmet striping/logo. Gold, with a black, then white outline, thought the white outline is not needed on the aways. They both have gold, on black, on white. The number of actual outlines aren't the same, but I think the way it was executed, it should be okay. The Cowboys get away with doing it for no reason, at least I have a reason. ^_^ (though I am definitely not saying it is okay the Cowboys do that)

I will work on fixing a couple of the color issues, and possibly update a couple of these tomorrow, and try to start working on some of the suggestions. More suggestions are welcome.

MegatronSig2.jpg

The Pitt one is solid.

1. The shade gold you used is kind of wierd. I think the old pittsburgh gold and royal would look better anyways.

2. White script on gold helmet would be hard to see.

3. Old script is a must for Pitt.

4. The stripes are ok, though I would put another thin line on the other side of the thick one.

5. The drop shadow looks better without the black. Im curious to see what it looks like without the drop shadow at all, though.

Otherwise, I love the move more back to the old school.

oBIgzrL.png

The Pitt one is solid.

1. The shade gold you used is kind of wierd. I think the old pittsburgh gold and royal would look better anyways.

2. White script on gold helmet would be hard to see.

3. Old script is a must for Pitt.

4. The stripes are ok, though I would put another thin line on the other side of the thick one.

5. The drop shadow looks better without the black. Im curious to see what it looks like without the drop shadow at all, though.

Otherwise, I love the move more back to the old school.

I agree, got to have the old script. And gold letters on the navy jersey to distinguish it from Notre Dame.

Everyone loves a roundel.

Archived