Buffalo Pro Hockey

buffaloprohockey

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's something I was working on last week, but was unable to upload to the internet before I left for the weekend in Boston. Now I'm back, and despite some similarities to Sterling's, which is pretty darn awesome, I thought I'd post it as I already had it done. I also have an idea for the Blast name, and will try to get to work on that this week. Unfortunately, I do not have Illustrator on my personal computer so have to use the school laptops. That limits my accesibility to them and limits my working time. Anyway...here it is. I also have a version with a wordmark but it sucks because I'm not comfortable with that aspect yet.

Well, I was going to post the image directly, but it was appearing huge. How do I make it smaller so that it fits properly. So for now, follow the link.

Stampede concept

Oh ya...WNSA and WGR listeners and radio personal didnt agree with it and conduct a poll on it? Go figure!

But they did and citizens of Buffalo want to be identfied with an Buffalo logo, sorry Chris, but I think this is a subject I'll know a little more than you

Oh ya...WNSA and WGR listeners and radio personal didnt agree with it and conduct a poll on it? Go figure!

But they did and citizens of Buffalo want to be identfied with an Buffalo logo, sorry Chris, but I think this is a subject I'll know a little more than you

And I was supposed to know that how?

All I saw in your post was "We like the buffalo in the logo" nothing to back it up saying how you came to that conclusion.

Based on what I've heard from the Buffalo folks on the board they didn't like the buffaloes appearing on everything.

I still know more about hockey though :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Well, I pick a fine time to find out about this contest...

My computer just went into a virtual coma this morning, and I am out of commission until I get it fixed. I'm running off of my laptop right now, which runs extremely slow and I'm having font problems with it as well.

Doubt that I'll be able to jump in on this one, but man, I'd like to if I was able.

A note to all you designing logos... don't accept any logos your "friends" give you... I don't care how much you trust this "friend" of yours, I do NOT want to catch ANYONE posting someone else's logo as their own, ESPECIALLY when it's for a real design involving cash.

If you were a designer hired to do this work, you would've been sued, and rightfully so.

I think this cannot be stressed enough about ripping off work. Doesn't matter how old you are. It seems like Pixel was taking credit for his friend, who was taking from a website. This is art I've seen for years on shirts for a local high school, who hopefully bought it from a legit source.

Like Nitro, I didn't read this thread until today. There are so many posts for someone's fantasy league team that I must've been on "skeptic" mode. I agree that it is a real opportunity for something and wish I'd have jumped on it. Fortunately Dave (Sterling) did jump on this and wowed us. Some other art posts have been nice, too.

Sterling, as always, your logo is gorgeous. I would be more than happy to go across the street (well, highway) after class at UB and watch any team with those on their jerseys if they do end up playing at the Pepsi Center.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Sterling84, I think I like your first attempt better than the last. Head up and snarling is uncharacteristic of a buffalo. I actually spent some time at a buffalo farm researching another project and they seemed like pretty docile animals - intimidating yes, but not aggressive. I would suggest a little less black and perhaps less symmetry from side to side - remember that this is a three dimensional animal and the hard straight line down the middle flattens it out.

Here's one of the ideas generated from the project refered to above - it shares some similarities to yours. This is NOT and entry, just a bit of inspiration.

www.joebosack.com/buff.jpg

Nice work,

JB

P.s. Any other Pro's on the troll? I'm sure your advice would be welcome.

Not that I don't like your logo, Joe, but putting anything on the forehead reminds me of the RHI Buffalo Stampede, and I'm not sure that's a good way to go. Or maybe it's just me - anything that reminds of that logo makes me shudder...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Yes, Joe... I'll echo nitroseed's sentiments: it's always exciting when a designer of your calibre visits our little corner of the Web.

As for the docile nature of bison, I'll grant that they are quiet, unassuming creatures MOST of the time. However, my uncle is a wildlife photographer who has, on occasion, photographed American bison in the wild. I've actually seen shots he took of the creatures while they were stampeding and/or battling over a territorial issue. In such moments they do resemble Sterling's second treatment. While it may be the exception to the rule in these creatures lives, when dealing with a sports logo treatment you can obviously grant Sterling the right to "tip the scales" on the side of an aggressive depiction. After all, given the bone-jarring nature of their sport, a minor-pro hockey team isn't exactly looking for a docile mascot.

Brian in Boston

Well, first let me add that I too am always glad to take feedback and crit from everyone, let alone somebody who's firm refuses to put out logos, lest they rock!

So thanks Joe. I do appreciate the time.

You aren't the first to suggest that my concept is taking on some super dark qualities which may have to be revisited. Believe it or not, I have never worked on anything "real" where the color scheme was up in the air, so although I like black,grey,and orange, I am open to suggestions. I am sort of anxious for buffaloprohockey to chime in and see if he likes the direction whatsoever.

Regarding which straight on concept is better: part of me really likes the first one, but the second is kind of just my thing... the way I roll , so to speak, and I am glad that a few like B in B have conveyed that my work may not be the same without that style and encouraged me to let loose with that.

I don't want to turn this into a wildlife debate, but simply put, my focus was more on the animal's mentality only during a stampede......(since that is a possible team name..Stampede, not Buffaloes.). Certainly bison are herbivores and 99% of the time content to chill and eat grass. Once they reach adulthood they are virtually immune to all predators but us, and thus put off the kind of stoic confidence you describe. But whether stirred up by the rut, lack of food, sudden noise, or native american's driving them during the hunt, a stampede is clearly motivated by the basest of instincts, namely fear. I have taken some license and determined on my own that "wild" animal fear in a herd is probably closely associated with panic, rage, mob mentality, and other self defense mechanisms. It's the "unstobbale force of nature" aspect of the stampede, not the bison itself, I hope to convey in the coming days of working on this. I want the team to feel like a frothing stampede of a team, that cannot be stopped by rhyme, reason, or logic for those 60 minutes of ice time.

With that said, NO critique will ever be dismissed by me. And I mean that sincerely, for otherwise this forum is little more than a portfolio site with ego-boosting included. I intend to strengthen both concepts until I hear stop from the boss in Buffalo.

Thanks a ton all,

more to come.

**EDIT: ooh ooh ooh. Almost forgot. You are absolutely right Joe. Dividing the creature right down the middle is a quick way to spacially contradict all the time I've spent making him three dimensional in other parts of the drawing. GOOD point. I will correct that. Thank you.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Maybe History but not the game!

face it. your an american and chris is a canadian. canadians know more about hockey (history, the game, evrything) then americans. i dont want to offend any americans, but thats just the way it is :flagcanada:

j/k, any way once again, the logos that sterling has put out are nice, but they use a buffalo. im tired of seeing the majority of logos related to buffalo (real or a concept) using a buffalo. the bills are the only team that can do this, bucause if they didnt use a buffalo, then the logo would be a cheesey cowboy cartoon. i used to live in toronto, and im moving back there as soon as the school year in florida is over. two summers ago i attended a goalie camp in buffalo. some of the kids there were native to buffalo, and one day some kid showed up wearing a black sabers jersey. one of the local kids said "i hate that logo. were not the buffalo buffalos." every other local; agreed. from my experence the locals hate buffalos on everything.

since u live there while i only spent a week there two summers ago ill take ur word for it. but u have got to admitt that teh sabers "buffalo head" logo is just stupid. i hate the old sabers logo because of the buffalo, but at least it had sabers included in it. if u are going to put a buffalo in a logo, at least tie the team's name in with it, like the classic sabers logo does quite well.

ur a goalie as well? ive been saying it for years. we understand the game better then anybody else (alough canadian goalies still have an edge :flagcanada: j/k). its the safest position to.

Archived