Buffalo Pro Hockey

buffaloprohockey

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, you guys are too kind. Really you are.

Thanks for the props and the input and the jersey templates and all.

Here is the newest incarnation of the straight on logo-fied heads. He's a little more stoic and not split down the center. I still like everything I initially liked about this one, and still miss everything that was missing. sigh. I just dont know if it works for "stampede" without feet and/or dust. I dont want Hydra connotations.

I have not forgotten about other suggestions. I'll get to them as soon as I can....including Brians color adjustments on the dusty one.

More to come.

nine.jpg

Thanks for getting back to us Joe. Guys, I would imagine he'd love to see jersey stuff. Whether or not it gets used is probably a manufacturer/cost issue but I know I'd like to keep seeing them

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

much better then the one with the dust and legs. it was nice, but i dont think it would work on a jersey, and it just didnt look like a hockey logo. this is a huge improvemnet.

Thanks Cap.

I dont want to give the impression that I've abandoned the other one. I haven't. I'm just trying to implement all the feedback I've gotten in order so.....

The way I look at it, this one looks like a logo, but doesn't say stampede. ANd the other one WAY says stampede, but isn't shaped like a logo. And therein lies my remaining problem. Back to the grind.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

The way I look at it, this one looks like a logo, but doesn't say stampede. ANd the other one WAY says stampede, but isn't shaped like a logo. And therein lies my remaining problem. Back to the grind.

i admire ur efforts and skills. i wish i could produce logos as nice as u do.

oh well, what can u do. some are born with talent, some learn, some have no ability what-so-ever (thats me :D).

sweet work sterling... all of it is awesome... if this gets done i may have to add another sterling jersey to my collection.. my bros picking me up a moose jersey as we speak...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Round 2 for the Blast logos. My first attempt didn't feel like a logo to me, more like a poor attempt at one, so I changed things up a bit, and added some hockey elements. And again, I spologize for poor quality. I create them using school Mac powerbooks, then post them from my ancient Compaq Armada. Anyway, here it is..

blast_primary.gif

And then I went ahead and did a quick take on a secondary shoulder logo. Just for fun here. Probably most of you don't want to see what the next stab at an alternate will be. Feedback on these would be great. Thanks.

blast_alternate.gif

And now for a little feedback on Sterling and js's work.

Sterling- I agree with you that the concept with the thundering buffalo and swirling dust, while looking great, didn't read as a logo. An awesome illustration yes, but not a logo exactly. The ones with the three heads look really sharp, though I prefer the one with the roaring bull as opposed to the most current one. One the newest on, the nose area especially looks a little awkward. On the whoel it looks too static.

The twist of motion implied by the asymmetry suggested by js's buffalo heads draws me too it. Though the two designs are very similar, I prefer something a little less rigidly symmetrical. I also like the ecomony of shape and line in js's work. Looking at many logos as I have, and I am sure many others have as well, I think classic logos often have a simplicity to them. Some of the detail in Sterling's work, again, though amazing, causes some distraction. Not that I am an expert, of course; just my two cents. And I see that many minor-league hockey teams take advantage of the large chest area with detailed logos.

What I would suggest, and only asa suggestion, Sterling, is to keep the dust clouds in the logo, but in a simplified way that just suggests that the buffalo are stampeding. Perhaps something like this, and yes, it is my own work here. While I don't especially care for the entire graphic, I think the dust implied in it was marginally successful. I posted this before, but only as a copy and past link.

stampede.gif

obi--that would work for a Houston team, but Buffalo? Is there some connection I'm missing? Though grainy, I like the ideas behind the work. It doesn't really feel like a pro logo to me, though. Blast is a hard name to work with.

Sabres- No, no real connection there. Just trying something different from a buffalo. Originally what is now the shuttle was more of a genaric rocket ship, but it looked silly. So I shifted it towards the shuttle. Like you said, Blast is a difficult one to work with.

Blast i indeed very hard. I have been brainstorming for a week on this. I have talked to people, sketched 2 pages worth in my sketch book, and nothing has popped. Blast is a cool word, a neat name, but to pictorialize it is very difficult. I came up with a couple really cool wordmarks, but no logo. I wish I could have contributed to this thread and this contest.

Joe, thank you very much for the opportunity to help you out with this.

Any chance we could be ion on the naming end next time? :P

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Since the deadline has been extended and I've finally gotten back to some semblence of a normal schedule. I'm throwing my hat in. I'm not going to compete with Sterlings fantastic Stampede comps, so I'm going with concepts for Blast.

My inital idea with the name Blast is to convey motion and to play on the location of Buffalo. Since I went to school in Rochester, I'm all too familiar with the lake effect snows and cold temps up there. So my second theme is to play on an arctic blast. I apologize to Sterling for copping his Orange/Black combo but it looks sweet with a buffalo logo. I went for a simpler rendering than Sterling's.

Feedback and comments welcome. This is my first night playing with my hand sketches throughout the week.

BuffaloBlast.gif

Archived