L.a. Sol

-kj

Ok, here's an idea for my fantasy soccer team, the Los Angeles Sol. Colours are red (PMS 485), gold (Yellow 2X), and black. Comments, criticisms, and suggestions quite welcome.

The first criticism is from me: the ball detailing ended up looking horrible, but I haven't bothered to mess with it yet.

Oh, and I used js (celsius)'s template, I think, I traced it in PSP.

Primary logo:

sol.gif

Secondary:

sol-2nd.gif

Jerseys:

Home (red)

Road (white)

Alternate (gold)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Hmmmm

Well, I really like the logo... the only thing I would do is get rid of the 3 stripes going along the bottom of the logo and on the side of the secondary one. Also, I might toy around with the shades of red and gold you chose... they're a bit bright for my taste and I think a change of the shades would make things look a lot better.

As for the ball detailing, I actually kinda like it... the ball doesn't have to be completely realistic... but you could always try and get it to be more exact and then you know, post the 2 side by side and see the reaction it gets.

As for the uniforms, the design I like, just, again, the color scheme bothers me... the alternate uniform would look a lot better in my opinion if it were less of a "Lakers gold" type color and more of a gold like what the Pittsburgh Penguins use, and the red might be better off being altered as well.

But color scheme aside, very nice work, definitely see it working very, very well with a few alterations.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

I decided you were right about the three stripes--they were kindof an after-thought to start with, so I got rid of them, and it looks better. Believe it or not, I had those across the torso of the jerseys at one point. :rolleyes:

As for changing the colours, I'm having trouble coming up with a good set. I like the bright colours because they fit so well with the same--Sol, the sun. I don't think a metallic gold like the Pens use would work as well. But, I'll look through the PANTONE list and see if there's other colours that work as well.

POTD 2013-08-22

I really like the concept of your strip. Having worked for two years in professional soccer, I must say that they are original. The alternate reminds me a little bit of the Colorado Foxes' old unis. They used to wear gold tops with black shorts on the road. It also reminds me of the Mexican side Club America. Their colors are gold and blue. Thier primary strip is all gold with the club's badge sublimated into the fabric. It's made by Nike. Overall, I like it. Especially because it's not too traditional.

dodgers-1.png

Man thats bright....maybe my monitor settings are messed up...but man thats bright.

Nice look though Mr Commish

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

I'm not sure it's an O, but I think he's refering to red that is to the left f and behind the soccer ball. It looks like an attempt at an O behind the soccer ball.

edit; it actually looks more like a C and than an O. :D

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm not sure it's an O, but I think he's refering to red that is to the left f and behind the soccer ball. It looks like an attempt at an O behind the soccer ball.

edit; it actually looks more like a C and than an O. :D

That's exactly what I mean.

Maybe it's just me, but I see a design that 99% there, yet something about it just doesn't look right. I know the red is tied in as part of the sunburst, but I keep seeing it as a letter O and then a separate burst. The multicolor outline may be a factor in the illusion of breaking one shape into several.

Maybe it would all fit togther if you reversed the use of yellow & red in the burst? Or, if you made the outline one color around the whole thing? Just some suggestions.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I think this is a good start, but i think it could benefit form some tweaking.

First, the soccer ball. If you'd like a real ball shape, let me know, i can send you one in whatever format you need. The current looks a lot like scales on a lizard.

I think maybe a brick red, and a touch lighter yellow owuld work well here.

The ball being the O in SOL is a cool idea, but like mentioned above, i'm having trouble with the sun burst being definatively left handed, and the O-looking-like-a-C sitting behind the ball. I think you can commitr to the ball being the O, particularly if you drop a thick outline on it, in the same color as the S and the L. This would allow you to make the sun burst balanced left and right, and expand it behind the S and the L. I'd love to see the points of the burst extend just past the S and the L, then a outline dropped around the whole thing.

Am I making any sence? Would you mind if I pictorialized what I'm talking about?

Overall, i really like it, Mockba. Good concept. I think with a little tweaking, it could kick major ass.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I'm following you, payno. The original paper sketch that got me working on it was the "lopsided" sunburst and that extra shape on the left, and I ran with it. The ball's supposed to take the place of the O, the shape on the left is just an extra piece of trim to add, er, flair.

I suppose I could work on making it more symmetric, see how it looks. For some reason, I like the one-sided look.

As for the ball shape, that'd be great.

POTD 2013-08-22

I totally respect the uneven look.. hey, I own a Thrashers Third! Perhaps my issue with it, is that it is the same color as the S and the L so it looks like it was trying to be a letter rather than an accent. Make it yellow, perhaps? Maybe bring the point around in front of the ball?

What format do you want the ball in? What program do you use?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived