School Project (Portland Trail Blazers)

Conrad.

In my senior Design class we had to choose a company to re-brand, so I picked an NBA team, but I have yet to determine which team. The project involves completely re-branding everything about the team including logo, jerseys, stadium, website, and any marketing materials the team would use. We will be working on the project for the next 3 months, so I will be able to do an extensive job on all content...

So which team should it be? Obviously, I want to do a team who is in need of a change and contains a real purpose to change their whole identity, both aesthetically and conceptually. My first ideas were the Raps, the Blazers, and the Clips...

I am open to any suggestions, but please explain why you think I should choose them. Thanks in advance for any insight u might impart my way.

In my senior Design class we had to choose a company to re-brand, so I picked an NBA team, but I have yet to determine which team. The project involves completely re-branding everything about the team including logo, jerseys, stadium, website, and any marketing materials the team would use. We will be working on the project for the next 3 months, so I will be able to do an extensive job on all content...

So which team should it be? Obviously, I want to do a team who is in need of a change and contains a real purpose to change their whole identity, both aesthetically and conceptually. My first ideas were the Raps, the Blazers, and the Clips...

I am open to any suggestions, but please explain why you think I should choose them. Thanks in advance for any insight u might impart my way.

I think you should go with the Clippers. Are you allowed to change their colors? They're so boring!

Whatever you choose, best of luck.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

The Lakers? After that Finals debacle, they need to be rebranded! I'll tell you and obvious two, that I think should be, the Nets and the Wizards. After that you could do Oklahoma City, the Bobcats and the Hawks. Oh yeah and don't forget the Warriors and the Mavericks.

I would choose the Blazers. The main reason is the bright, young, up-and-coming talents on the team should get a brand that is different from the negative image the Blazers have had in recent history. Also, from a marketing standpoint, young guns like Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, LaMarcus Aldridge, and others can be easily marketed to the younger, and fresher audience in Portland. I personally believe its a better choice for a marketing team to sell to a new target audience (a new, younger generation) than trying to revive an older fanbase who have been disappointed in the past. Out with the old, in with the new. I strongly believe the Blazers are very marketable.

Wade-sig.png

I did almost this exact project, only I chose to re-brand an NBA team, it wasn't assigned to me. It was for my senior thesis. I chose the Clippers from a list that included the Warriors, Heat, 76ers, and Kings. I would go with a team that has uniforms that seem to be stuck in the 90's or worse, has logos or colors that seem boring in todays NBA, is turning around their luck, transitioning into a new era, or even moving. Given that criteria the list I would give you looks similar to the one I chose from;

Denver Nuggets-Logo has been in place since 1993, even with the new colors they could still use a facelift. The team seems to be readying for a roster refreshing move within the next couple seasons.

GS Warriors- They have spent 10 years now with an overly busy logo that features way too many gradients, though the color scheme seems to work. They also have had a recent surge of successful seasons, and with Baron leaving town they are essentially young and unproven.

LA Clippers- Definitely a team on the upswing, old logos and colors that are stuck in the past, and their logo looks so close to the Lakers logo that I think the only reason they sell merchandise is because some casual Lakers fans don't want to wear Yellow or Purple.

Miami Heat- Shaq is gone, Wade has a gold medal and is ready to not be injured all season, and they have Beasley on board now. Things are looking good in Miami, but their identity wouldn't suffer from an overhaul.

NJ Nets/Brooklyn Knights-The move to BK, paired with a youth movement and possible landing of LeBron in the future make them a nice target.

Philly 76ers- Even they like their old colors and logos better than the Black and Gold identity they have now. A greatly historic team has almost ruined their reputation by trying to look hip. Their logo is a basketball flying out of a single star and under a wordmark. Why? Plus, they just got Elton, Rush, Ivey, and Ratliff and re-signed Iggy and Louis Williams. Not a bad future.

Sacramento Kings- Old logo('94), Vlade, Bibby, and Peja are gone(not to mention Ron-Ron), new coach, and this team is ready for the future and a new identity.

Tough choice I would say, but those are the teams I would narrow it down from. Have fun with this project and keep us in the loop.

now i would say the clippers, but this may be extremely difficult to do, you may want to try a name thats better fit for a good logo, like the raptors as you said. I'm not sure if you already have someting in mind for the clippers, if so go for those, but if not i'd stay away from them.

If you want the redesign to also serve some functional purposes, I'd be adamant for the Clippers.

The reason? Because they will always be L.A.'s "second team" as long as they look the part. They badly need to be differentiated from the Lakers. (That, and their uniforms are absolutely hideous. The wordmark on their jerseys are different than the script on their logo.)

I would do the Clippers or Warriors. The Clippers are just so plain and boring, they are the second fiddle team in LA and always will be, they need a change. The Warriors are by far my least favorite identity in the NBA. They started as a generally non-offensive Native American themed team, and now they have that ridiculous lightning bolt guy and ugly uniforms. Fix them up!

Thanks to everyone who imparted your thoughts to me...i took them all into consideration and came up with the Blazers, Clips, and Warriors. I chose not to do the Clips because it has been done by many people before, and I fear I might be influenced by the great concepts done for them. I chose not to do the Warriors because they dont have a direct connection with the city and nickname (borrowing from Philly for the 'Warriors')

So that means I chose the Portland Trail Blazers to rebrand..I look forward to bringing a fresh new look to the new, talented (marketable ;)) group of players who will be making some noise in the Western conference this coming year. Also, I would like to effectively pay tribute to the many years of success behind the current identity, but at the same time bring a closer connection to the actual nickname and city and the meaning behind it. I'll say now, that any information anyone has about the original logo and the history of the team's identity would be greatly appreciated...

thanks again to everyone, and i'll be keeping you all posted on the progress of the project.

Archived