MLB Playoffs

gingerbreadmann

Why do they call it "winning the pennant"? Is there an actual "official" pennant that they're playing for?

Yeah, it's the one The Phillies will raise in their home opener next season.

They don't raise anything - they just have the year they won something on a flag pole. See my sig.

They have to get it on the flag pole somehow don't they? Thus "raising the pennant." Of course it's not an official MLB pennant they're playing for. I'd imagine the term goes back to the old days when the first team decided to put up a flag or "pennant" to commemorate winning the league championship or The World Series. Or some sportswriter came up with the term and it stuck. Kinda like how a strike out is represented by a K in the score book. The reason? The letter S was being used for sacrifice so they chose the K in strike. Who knows why they call it winning a pennant. Your team just won one. What else matters? :D

Really? It's just a random letter?

I always thought it was because it took 3 strokes to make a K, just like it takes 3 strikes to make a strike out.

Or maybe that's just my own convenient explanation for it. :P

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are two reasons why the Phillies would win the 2008 World Series:

1 - The '80 Reverse (yeah you already know it): they won in '80 so they would win in '08.

2 - A 10+ years old AL expansion team as rival: the 1969 established Kansas City franchise played in the 1980 WS. And now the 1998 established Tampa Bay franchise will play in the 2008 WS.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

The Red Sox have just been TKO'd. Upton got his first booing ovation, and killed them with a double off the wall. The Sox are finally done. The champagne is now on ice, Tampa's moving on to the WS.

Phillies @ Rays, Game 1 of the WS. I dare someone to say they saw this coming in April. :P

Wow... Boston fans are now starting to sound like Yankee fans. They can't fathom the idea that another team is better than theirs. Um, Tampa won the AL East and beat you like a drum in the playoffs. Enough said. You can't believe that you lost? Um, you do have the overrated Japanese pitcher, J.D. Drew, and Mark Kotsay and you say that you can't believe you lost?! Look at your roster, it ain't good! You can't deal with the fact that Tampa is a better team, and they are younger and aren't going away. I wasn't a Tampa believer until this series and watching them handle the BoSox, you can't deny that they are the best team this year and sorry to Philly fans, 1983 will still be your last title. What they've done is very reminiscent of what Atlanta did in the early 90's, go from last to first and then establish themselves as the team every year to beat because they grow their players. The Red Sox are turning into the Yankees and think they can buy their players, it won't be long before Boston is in the Yankees spot, missing the playoffs and old and having no youngsters to replace their old players.

Um, who are you talking about from this thread? Seems like you're just pulling stuff out of thin air for controversy. <_<

And you really believe the disparity in talent between these teams is as great as it has been the last three games? Look, I was going to wait until after the game for my thoughts, but whatever. I don't think I've seen a more heartless, gutless, despicable performance out of this team in my life than the last three games. And I never thought I would actually use those words to describe teams like some people do. The Rays are good, and they're here to stay. Trust me, I hope you guys are happy now that the cute little upstarts are winning, cause you're going to get so sick of them 5 years from now. :) However, that doesn't change all the regular season games between the two teams where it seemed like every game we lost we were winning handily and just fell apart somehow in the end. It doesn't change how the Red Sox had the best run differential in the majors this year. I'm not going to make conclusions based of those things, but I hope you can understand I was at least expecting an honorable fight and a good close series. What has gone down over the past three games is beyond words for me. Just :censored:ing pathetic. I just wish we could have won to shut up all the people who picked the Angels and Rays because apparently 2 titles in 4 years isn't enough to get picked to win anything. :) This just sucks now. At least I kept faith this far and I'm proud of that. It helps to step back and not be a Yankees fan and not expect a WS title every year.

On the bright side, the damn Cubs have it easy. It is so much less stressful to get blown out and lose than to lose ultra nailbiting stressful games by a hair. I am almost over this because I have been reflecting since the third inning already. :)

Also, no high draft pick for Tampa this year. Thank :censored:ing God. And all you will be hearing about in the media for the next week is Tampa's exuberant youth, well the Sox have a pretty darn good farm system too. This is going to be a very interesting and competitive division for a long long time. Now about Taylor Teagarden...

Why do they call it "winning the pennant"? Is there an actual "official" pennant that they're playing for?

Yeah, it's the one The Phillies will raise in their home opener next season.

They don't raise anything - they just have the year they won something on a flag pole. See my sig.

They have to get it on the flag pole somehow don't they? Thus "raising the pennant." Of course it's not an official MLB pennant they're playing for. I'd imagine the term goes back to the old days when the first team decided to put up a flag or "pennant" to commemorate winning the league championship or The World Series. Or some sportswriter came up with the term and it stuck. Kinda like how a strike out is represented by a K in the score book. The reason? The letter S was being used for sacrifice so they chose the K in strike. Who knows why they call it winning a pennant. Your team just won one. What else matters? :D

Really? It's just a random letter?

I always thought it was because it took 3 strokes to make a K, just like it takes 3 strikes to make a strike out.

Or maybe that's just my own convenient explanation for it. :P

That's what I heard somewhere. It wasn't random actually. I think it was because the guy who came up with it thought strike was spelled strik so he used the last letter in the word. Or maybe it was because E was already taken. In any case, K was chosen because S was already being used for something else.

BB52Big.jpg

7-4...

If, and it's very, very, very unlikely if, the Sox come back to win this game, they're winning this series.

That's what I'm thinking. If the Rays blow this lead, the Sox are taking the series. The Rays have got to lock this down NOW.

Good point, gingerbreadmann.

This defeat is painful, yes... but I hope that some winter moves will reshape the team. At least we're not a kind of Yawkey team anymore; our franchise has finally more resources to repair some holes.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

And here come the Sox!

Papi wakes up, and we now have a game again.

So moratorium on my crowning of the Rays. :P

This thing ain't over yet. I said it earlier and I'll say it again...I'll believe The Red Sox are done when The Rays record the final out of their 4th win in this series. Until then...7 outs to go for The Rays. And the fat lady has headed back to the buffet line for a while.

I wonder how many of those fans who left in the 7th will claim they were still there if The Red Sox pull this off.

BB52Big.jpg

And here come the Sox!

Papi wakes up, and we now have a game again.

So moratorium on my crowning of the Rays. :P

This thing ain't over yet. I said it earlier and I'll say it again...I'll believe The Red Sox are done when The Rays record the final out of their 4th win in this series. Until then...7 outs to go for The Rays. And the fat lady has headed back to the buffet line for a while.

I wonder how many of those fans who left in the 7th will claim they were still there if The Red Sox pull this off.

I said the same thing after the Rays mollywocked them in Game 4. But Ortiz pretty much reminded me of the fact that they aren't dead until after the 3rd out in the 9th. Silly me for thinking this game was over. :P

Archived