Syracuse Orange football

chestnutz

So I've been searching for inspiration for my next team to make a concept for, and it came for none other than my favorite college team, the Syracuse Orange. Living about an hour away from campus, and it being the biggest college in my area, I hear about it a lot and naturally like the sports there. Everyone knows Syracuse keeps changing their uniforms as much as Pam Anderson does cup sizes, and I'm trying to give the team some consistency and hopefully a look they can keep for at least 2 years, looking at the past for inspiration.

I saw the trailer for The Express - The Ernie Davis story, and couldn't help but marvel at the uniforms displayed. They were simply awesome in my mind, and what I tried to do here was make something similar to that, while also making it look a bit more modern.

The jerseys are largely based off those uniforms the Orange used in the 60s, while the helmets and pants look more like the Donovan McNabb era. The socks were borrowed from the NY Titans uniforms the Jets wore this past week, as I think that style is kickass.

Oh, and this is my first ever concept using Illustrator, so yeah.

Syracuse-Orange-Homes-png.png

Syracuse-Orange-aways.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Off the top of my head, Syracuse ditched orange jerseys in the mid century. They brought them back a couple of years ago, and the general consesus was that they were one of the ugliest uniforms in the country. So, no orange.

syracuse%20the%20post-standard.jpg

Do you mean these? Because I don't think that all orange jerseys should be written of for that folly.

This concept, their McNabb-era unis, and their current duds really show how good Syracuse's basic identity is. It's amazing how they were able to keep screwing it up.

Was their some significance in the name change from "Orangemen" to "Orange"?

from wikipedia...

Orange is the official school color, adopted as such in 1890. Prior to that time, the school's colors were rose pink and pea green. Orange, blue, and white are traditionally used for athletic uniforms.

The athletic nickname derives from the official color. Prior to 2004, the official nicknames of the athletic teams were the "Orangemen" and "Orangewomen." These former nicknames are still affectionately used by some fans. However, beginning with the 2004?2005 school year, the official nickname was changed to the "Orange." This revision is gender-neutral, concise, and reflects the basis of the nickname as being the school color. Other nicknames over the years have included the "Hilltoppers," for the school's location on a hill, and the "Saltine Warriors," for a former mascot.

The pink and green color combination sounds pretty unique.

buffalo_sig.png

this is very nice. I think this year was a huge step in the right direction, and could def live with the look. the only thing i didnt care for were the shoulder stripes they have. i think the should get rid of them all together. Sleeve stripes look nice. i was actually working on a concept of my own for my favorite team on earth..

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Can people please post about the concept itself? Half of the posts have been about their history or some other thing instead of the concept. I've already stated Syracuse never really has worn orange jerseys except way way back, and they've always worn orange pants.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

yeah socks are nice, and could be optional...like only worn for certain games...i like the no-socks look as well. An Orange jersey could definitley look good, with white pants only though, and since you added that option to the mix all is well. Then a straight accurate 1959 throwback is must, to be broken out for one big game a year, or homecoming...

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Archived