Lost Treasures of CCSLC Members

BlueSky

i had a dallas stars yearbook from the inaugural season in texas, but since i was like 9 years old, i eventually cut out the pictures and put them on walls and things.

i wish i hadn't.

Damnnn that would've been decent.

i've still got a 97 yearbook, and an entire season's worth of programs from 2001... and some dallas morning news season previews from the late 90's and early 2000's... and a DMN sports page with modano on the cover in 1995.

but i really wish i still had that inaugural yearbook.

i even used to have an inaugural season game program from a stars/whalers game that i'd kill to have again.

Under pressure from a collector "friend", I traded a spare Czechoslovakia game worn hockey jersey for a "game worn" Gregg Jeffries New York Mets jersey.

I let the jersey go because it was a #2 and I also had a #20 & #22 with a name on the back.

Later, when I went to sell the Mets jersey on ebay, I'm contacted by a collector and given a link to a message board which documents the multitude of fake Jeffries Mets jerseys in the world. Great. I've got a bogus jersey.

Then, I discover that a certain Dominik Hasek wore #2 in the Canada Cup during the time period my jersey is from. No way to prove it was his, and it probably wasn't based on use and size, but I'd rather have it back just in case.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

The favorite helmet thread reminded me of one of my lost treasures: A poster of all the NFL helmets that was on the back of my bedroom door for years and years. I used to love it when teams changed and I had the old version up.

I don't know what year it was from -- likely early '80s -- but I know it had the white version of the current Bills helmet. Anyway, it was another early indicator I'd end up here. I always wanted an MLB caps version.

The favorite helmet thread reminded me of one of my lost treasures: A poster of all the NFL helmets that was on the back of my bedroom door for years and years. I used to love it when teams changed and I had the old version up.

I don't know what year it was from -- likely early '80s -- but I know it had the white version of the current Bills helmet. Anyway, it was another early indicator I'd end up here. I always wanted an MLB caps version.

I had a poster just like that from 1980. Mine was from the NFL kids' fan club, which my dad signed me up for when we moved from Iowa to Philly. I never much cared about football, but I did spend an inordinate amount of time looking at all the helmet logos. I was a casual Patriots fan for the longest time because of their old helmet logo. Plus we'd moved to Minnesota by the time of the '86 Super Bowl, which made rooting for the Pats and against the Bears mandatory.

20082614447.png

Back in the mid-90s I started seriously collecting NBA jerseys. This was pre-ebay and in the relative infancy of the internet, so finding anything was pretty hard. Conversely though, I got some real bargains. I had a load of game-issue jerseys, but my favourites were my Lakers Magic Johnson home, Sixers Dr. J and a blank Milwaukee Bucks early-80s road jersey, with the red trim & stripy panels.

Then once the whole retro jersey craze kicked off I sold 'em all on ebay. I did manage to get enough money to pay for most of university, but I'd give anything to have them back now. I've managed to replace a few over the years, but I've never found another Bucks jersey like that.

Oh guys, I'm not sure I should "brag" about this, but this response is NOT for the faint of heart...

To this day, I have to be careful when I go into a collector shop to stay away fom the 50s display because it still hurts me to think of what happened to me some beautiful summer after-noon sometimes around the late 70s early 80s...

I can't quite remember how old I was, but I remeber the backpack I was using, and the fact that my Great uncle was still alive, places the date prior to 1982.

I had previously found a box of my estranged dad's old hockey card in the vacant 2nd floor appartment of my Great Aunt/Uncle's house (that served as an attict) where I lived.

The state of it would be average to near mint, considering their age.

I had the majority of the 1955 Parkies you see on that site... and the 1954 Topps as well... including Mr. Hockey's $800 card.

I have a clear memory of the following:

55ph50qq9.th.jpg78659tj8.th.jpgvintagehockey023aq2.th.jpg

trerichard04te6.th.jpgcropped69203ff5.th.jpgcropped69221mx6.th.jpg

So one of those summers, a collector put an add in the local (free) weekly newspaper that he would be setting up a table a one of the 2 malls we had in town (ironically, it had to be the furthest of the two.) I then had to ride my bike 2.5 miles on a divided provincial road (Hwy 201) with no sidewalk nor bike lane, to show The Man my collection.

I can only imagine today how he must have felt ( I have a feeling he probably needed some new underwear...) when I pulled out a shoebox half full with those cards.

He picked up a few stacks, slowly thumbed through and declare:

"You have a few Maurice Richards and Gordie Howes I can use, but they're not in very good shape. I'll give you this: ..."

At which point he pulled a crisp pink one out of his wallet... that's right $50... one bill... crisp...

Imagine how at 11-12 years old, in the pre-Beckett, pre e-bay age, absolutely oblivious to the value of the treasure I left behind...

I think that now, what angers me the most is not the fact that I don't have these cards, or that I didn't get enough money for it, but mostly that an old man would take advantage of a kid like me...

The following one, my dad had glued in a scrapbook that got water-damaged when the roof was leaking, so i can't blame The Man...

51howetq0.th.jpg

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Your post reminded me of this, which I ran across while researching something for another thread. Freakin' awesome, but note the odd placement of the Falcons' logo:

nfl_1968_program_with_helmets.gif

I have a program from a 1984 New Orleans Breakers game with a similar cover showing all the USFL helmets.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Your post reminded me of this, which I ran across while researching something for another thread. Freakin' awesome, but note the odd placement of the Falcons' logo:

nfl_1968_program_with_helmets.gif

I have a program from a 1984 New Orleans Breakers game with a similar cover showing all the USFL helmets.

Sports Illustrated's first USFL preview edition was also similar. I think I still have that one somewhere.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

This is not a story about me but my dad once had a Bobby Orr rookie card, this was in his rookie season, but my dad HATED Boston as he was a habs fan, so he cut off the head and glued on the head of Jean Beliveau. He traded it to one of his friends afterwords. Ironically, he met a guy a year or so ago that collected Bobby Orr stuff. He had EVERY card and quite a few of them were autographed. Anyway, this guy had my dads card, and he gave it back to him along with one to replace it as he had 3 or 4 of them.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Somewhere in my house (or more likely my mother's house) are programs from Super Bowls V and VI and the 1970 AFC Championship Game. I'm fairly certain they haven't been thrown away, but I'll consider them "lost" until I have the chance to track them down for sure. When I do, I will be sure to kick myself for writing on one of the pages of the AFC Championship Game program when I was about 8 years old.

Once upon a time, I also had a 45 (that's a vinyl record for you youngsters) of the radio broadcast of the last drive and the Colts OT drive in the 1958 NFL Championiship Game. It is either lost and/or broken.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I once had the choice to get either Bill Berg's or Doug Gilmour's autograph, and I chose.... the former. I still have it, but I realize I was a dumbass kid. Oh well.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I neglected to include my baseball cards in my first post. I sold my complete set of cards about 6-7 years ago (so I've got no one to blame but myself). The ones that I'm most upset about aren't even the ones I collected as a youth, but rather the ones that my uncle gave me. He died of brain cancer a couple of years ago, and I don't really care about their value (even though there were some Mayes, Mantles, mostly early '60's cards in there)...

Moose

I had a bunch of original Hot Wheels redline cars when I was a kid. One day a friend of mine and I decided it would be fun to take all my cars out in the yard and beat the living snot out of them with hockey sticks. I know for a fact that I had the Red Baron

TD%20red%20baron%20HW%20loose.jpg

as well as a bunch of others that are now probably pounded into the earth in the front yard of my parent's old house. I'm not sure of the value of some of them, but I know that a mint Red Baron can go for $50 or more!

Archived