Beta version of ESPN.com

Jigga

Here is your chance for an exclusive sneak peak of the new ESPN.com. This beta version of the site is available only to Insiders, who will get the chance to experience several new features including: a larger video player, advanced personalization and score boards, improved search and better navigation. We invite you to share your feedback and help us make the site the best experience possible. True, you may encounter a few bugs along the way as we work to fine-tune the new site, but your patience and support are appreciated and we are excited to bring you the new ESPN.com in the coming months.

http://beta.espn.go.com

IMHO, it's a cleaner, and seemingly "less" cluttered design (still cluttered, just less cluttered than normal) so it'll be much easier to navigate. The larger video player is nice, too. I know the masses here seem to hate anything ESPN related and blame it for all that is wrong with sports, but what do y'all think about the possible site redesign?

EDIT: Interesting...the Beta version is the main page for me now. When I went to espn.com (without beta in front), the beta one still came up. This happening to anyone else?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Here is your chance for an exclusive sneak peak of the new ESPN.com. This beta version of the site is available only to Insiders, who will get the chance to experience several new features including: a larger video player, advanced personalization and score boards, improved search and better navigation. We invite you to share your feedback and help us make the site the best experience possible. True, you may encounter a few bugs along the way as we work to fine-tune the new site, but your patience and support are appreciated and we are excited to bring you the new ESPN.com in the coming months.

http://beta.espn.go.com

IMHO, it's a cleaner, and seemingly "less" cluttered design (still cluttered, just less cluttered than normal) so it'll be much easier to navigate. The larger video player is nice, too. I know the masses here seem to hate anything ESPN related and blame it for all that is wrong with sports, but what do y'all think about the possible site redesign?

EDIT: Interesting...the Beta version is the main page for me now. When I went to espn.com (without beta in front), the beta one still came up. This happening to anyone else?

The site you linked to brings up something for me about "Become an insider, see the Beta version of ESPN.com!"

I can't see it, I assume it's because I'm not an insider.

IUe6Hvh.png

Did you see the topic subtitle or the first line of the quote? It says you have to be an Insider. :P

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think someone finally got the message, less is more! Now if they'd realize that not everyone has flash and developing a flash site can lose loyal people to your site. They need to make a non-flash site or give you the option because some people go to a site for the information, not the flash animations or movie/video highlights.

Ok after a year of humming and hawing, I finally gave in a became an insider, now I cant get it to work on Firefox I have to use IE <_<, which I loathe.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't know what makes a site more "interactive," but there are seemingly more video clips to take a gander at and it's integrated into the "main story" area as opposed to having it's own separate section on the side. I'm still waiting for changes to the articles pages, Page 2, etc. So far, so good though.

Ok after a year of humming and hawing, I finally gave in a became an insider, now I cant get it to work on Firefox I have to use IE <_<, which I loathe.

There is an App for Firefox which will allow for you to open tabs within Firefox using the IE interface. It is not the best result but better than nothing. (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419)

Back to the topic... does look better, the search function vastly needed to be improved. Hopefully something has been done about the random video clips that are playing all the time.

Side note:

Get IE Tab. It's an add-on for Firefox that allows you to view pages within a "shell" version of IE.

I haven't opened Explorer in, oh, a year or so since I found it. I can even download Windows Update stuff through it, which MS normally won't allow you to do without using IE.

Edit: Helps if I read the very next post before repeating info. Oh, well... :oops:

3101813238_7d0a1c2aae_o.png

They should just change the site name to Insider.com since a lot of the best content is only for those who choose to pay them to get to it. I choose not to. That's why I usually go to si.com.

Another very annoying thing about espn.com is how they auto-start video content. Do they not realize that a lot of guys surf over during work breaks, and even if you're on your own time, having SportsCenter come blaring unexpectedly out of your computer speakers doesn't play real well in the office? Nimrods.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived