Burger Joint

DrJack

I like #2 and #8. I think its great that the company wants a nice logo and that you're helping out a local business. Good luck!

You've obviously never dealt with people and graphics, they don't want a nice logo, they want a cheap logo. That's why they're doing the contest. It's cheaper for them to hand someone a hamburger than to pay a graphic designer to design the logo for them. When you see logo contests, run the other way, because you will get screwed because the owner is too cheap to pay anything!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like #2 and #8. I think its great that the company wants a nice logo and that you're helping out a local business. Good luck!

You've obviously never dealt with people and graphics, they don't want a nice logo, they want a cheap logo. That's why they're doing the contest. It's cheaper for them to hand someone a hamburger than to pay a graphic designer to design the logo for them. When you see logo contests, run the other way, because you will get screwed because the owner is too cheap to pay anything!

Generally I agree with you, though in some cases (like for instance, my own), the people involved realize there's value there to be recognized, and despite their lack of ability to properly compensate the designer with cash they do their best to find an alternative of some sort. A start-up venture is generally grossly underfunded (which is why most businesses fail in relatively short order), tying up what resources they have on things directly tied to their ability to recoup their investment. Consequently most don't give their identity package the thought, effort, or investment which, over the longer term, it really should have.

nav-logo.png

Generally I agree with you, though in some cases (like for instance, my own), the people involved realize there's value there to be recognized, and despite their lack of ability to properly compensate the designer with cash they do their best to find an alternative of some sort. A start-up venture is generally grossly underfunded (which is why most businesses fail in relatively short order), tying up what resources they have on things directly tied to their ability to recoup their investment. Consequently most don't give their identity package the thought, effort, or investment which, over the longer term, it really should have.

I agree with you on the start-up businesses. I will say that I've had it ingrained into my head that you never do a logo for free. Why? Because people are generally cheap and once they get you to do it for free they will tell their friends and whatnot and everyone will expect you to do it for free. I know from experience that once you screw yourself over by doing something for free for someone, you can't get out of that "free" zone. If you sit there and do a logo for let's say $50 for someone and tell them what they are getting from you and what you can do for them, and where you are as a designer and where they are as a company. If you're a big time designer, you probably won't be working with a start-up. But if you're a startup designer, you'll be working with start-up companies and if you do good work for pay, you'll get a rep and be considered a professional who does good work and as you grow, of course your prices grow too.

Looks pretty good. #3 look the best to me. If I may suggest one addition- that might be an outline/halo of the burger logo in "ketchup red". I say that only because between the tree and the lettuce in the logo, it almost looks like a veggie burger. With the red outline it might suggest ketchup and beef. Okay a bit of a reach but I was thinking of the absolute minimal change to an already pretty slick logo.

Also for the "secondary logo" I'd go for the one on the right that looks like a pine tree (again with a red outline), as the other one looks too plain. I think it might work as a wrapper logo or one to put on the paper cups.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I agree with you on the start-up businesses. I will say that I've had it ingrained into my head that you never do a logo for free. Why? Because people are generally cheap and once they get you to do it for free they will tell their friends and whatnot and everyone will expect you to do it for free. I know from experience that once you screw yourself over by doing something for free for someone, you can't get out of that "free" zone. If you sit there and do a logo for let's say $50 for someone and tell them what they are getting from you and what you can do for them, and where you are as a designer and where they are as a company. If you're a big time designer, you probably won't be working with a start-up. But if you're a startup designer, you'll be working with start-up companies and if you do good work for pay, you'll get a rep and be considered a professional who does good work and as you grow, of course your prices grow too.

I always told my boss at my first job "Fifty Dollar clients only refer 50 dollar clients" We did a ton of one off yard signs and it too way too much time just to please people that never were going to come back and just were going to refer the same time of clients. Sometimes "No" is the right answer.

I always told my boss at my first job "Fifty Dollar clients only refer 50 dollar clients" We did a ton of one off yard signs and it too way too much time just to please people that never were going to come back and just were going to refer the same time of clients. Sometimes "No" is the right answer.

Exactly. You have to figure out what it worth your time and what isn't. Some customers will bring you bigger things, whereas others will just bring you a pain in the arse if you're lucky.

Exactly. You have to figure out what it worth your time and what isn't. Some customers will bring you bigger things, whereas others will just bring you a pain in the arse if you're lucky.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with telling $50 clients that it'll be $100, or $250, or $500, or whatever. If the client can pay the freight, he by all means should. Pat's right - sometimes "no" is the right answer. To each their own.

nav-logo.png

Contests like this are a good way for someone to build a portfolio. Its like, I designed it and there it actually is on a sign.

Yah, it sucks for the rest of us that want $100/hr, but businesses need to realize you get what you pay for.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with telling $50 clients that it'll be $100, or $250, or $500, or whatever. If the client can pay the freight, he by all means should. Pat's right - sometimes "no" is the right answer. To each their own.

indeed. there is a bottom line for your services. the idea that you can negotiate paying pittance for intangibles like 'time taken to design something' are bullsht. you wouldnt do it for any physical commodity would you? all it does is devalue your own product and make you look like you ll work for nothing. the upshot of this being that people think others should work design for nothing also.

ive passed feeling guilty when telling people that i wont work for x amount. i now feel quite proud that i can afford to charge comparatively high rates for what i do. its because i do it comparatively better than most other people. and i know that people still get value for money from me.

took me quite a while to realise this but

Yeah. My old man was in the appliance business for over 50 years and he explained it to me this way: "Back when I did service calls I had a $40 trip charge (this was back in the 1970's when the average was around $25; today, nearly forty years later, it's around $55). I had someone call me out on a dryer that wouldn't start. I came out, looked around the dryer, saw that it had been unplugged by one of their kids, and plugged it back in. $40. The woman screamed bloody murder, 'What in the hell about what you just did was worth $40?' she cried. Madam, you're not paying for my merely plugging the dryer back into the wall socket, but the (then) 32 years of knowledge I've accumulated that tells me that's the first thing to check - something obviously you wouldn't have come up with on your own."

nav-logo.png

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'll try and implement some of the suggestions, but the logo sheet has already been turned and school starts tomorrow, so I'm short on time.

As for "working for $100 and 5 cheeseburgers" its something that I'm fully aware most people here wouldn't do. However, as a student who pretty much plays around with logo design for fun, I thought it'd be awesome to see my work on the window of a restaurant in my hometown. I'm glad most of you senior designers run the other way when you see "contest" because it gives me a chance to get my work out. Basically $100 and 5 free meals was more than enough compensation for me when having them use my logo was really the reward I was after.

By the way, I turned in the logo sheet, got a thank you from the owner and I'm currently waiting to hear back. Chances are good that I won't hear anything because judging by facial expressions the guy didn't seem all that impressed. Fingers are crossed though!

I'm late to the party but here's my 2 cents, some of which have been stated already:

1) colors are too similar to Subway & Blimpie

2) font screams 70's

3) like the tree and pointing it NW

4) at first glance the burger looks like a turtle with a cat's tail (moving it to the 'b' as someone else suggested would help)

Anyway, 'lettuce' know how it turns out. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived