College Football Bowl Thread

ProvidenceRI

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about the balls on Colt McCoy? His team struggles all night with the #10 team in the country, finally scores at the last second to beat them, and his quote is, "I don't think there's anybody in the country who can beat us at this point" ?? :blink: Son, you need a reality check.

As does the ESPN genius who wrote, "As exhilarating as the victory was, it may not have been dominant enough to persuade voters that the Longhorns (12-1) deserve a share of the national championship." Ya think? Why would the word 'dominant' appear anywhere in a story about a last-second victory?

As for Thursday night, I'll stick to not talking trash. Both teams are very talented and it's going to be settled on the field. I won't even offer a rebuke to those who disrespect OU so much. How can I, since the Sooners have not played up to their talent level in recent bowl games? That's why those performances are so disappointing. They have the horses, they just haven't played to their potential. Having watched them all season, I'm more optimistic this year because they played well in every game and because they usually respond when there's lots of 'they don't belong' talk, like in the Big XII Championship games last year and this year. They'll have to earn it Thursday night, that's for sure.

It's sad for fans to end up where Infrared41 and I both are...hoping for a victory but more hoping that our teams are at least competitive.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Wait, all the Sooners have to do is win but Florida has to win by 20? I'm not sure whether to be amused or offended...or both. :wacko:

Sure, you're on, but the only fair way is for me to only take the 3 points Vegas is giving OU.

That is a very honorable thing you did there with the points. OK we're on. For what it's worth to you, my winning percentage in bets like this is about 20%. You're probably in pretty good shape.

If the Sooners win by 20+ you should have to post a YouTube clip of you marching around your house singing Boomer Sooner. :D

If the Sooners win by 20 I'll be too shocked to sing anything. :D But, if you want to sweeten the bet... If Oklahoma does win by 20 I will follow my week of a Sooners sig with a week sporting a Michigan sig right next to a Red Sox sig. If Florida wins by 20 you sport an Ohio State sig for a week followed by a week of sigs featuring Texas and The Atlanta Falcons.

I respectfully decline. The Falcons sig was the deal-breaker. Just the thought of it turns my stomach. :D

I again question how you guys infer so much about an entire conference (or division thereof) based on the performance of the teams in games that are, as I've said before, basically meaningless. Regular season games are easily a better indicator, and Tennessee lost at home to Wyoming, so the SEC must be horrible, right? Georgia lost badly at home to Georgia Tech, who was owned by LSU, who got pounded by...Georgia. Same thing with Utah-Alabama and Boise State-OU and the US-USSR in hockey for that matter, if those teams played 10 times are you guys ready to bet that Utah and Boise State and the USA win the majority of the games? With this year's Sugar Bowl, Barry Switzer said it best at halftime: "Alabama wants to be playing the National Championship game, Utah wants to be playing the Sugar Bowl."

It's ONE GAME, guys, keep some perspective here. :rolleyes:

Taking that logic to the NFL for an example, if they replayed last year's Super Bowl a bunch of times, I think the majority of people would bet that the Pats would win the majority of the matchups. Or in this years playoffs (unless I'm vastly mistaken), probably the Colts over the Chargers if they replayed a bunch of times. Perhaps we should retroactively crown New England as the winners of Super Bowl XLII (or whatever it was) and the Colts should be advanced to play Tennessee next week because they are the better team. Had George Mason actually won the NCAA tournament a few years ago, how many of us would've bet on them to do it again if they replayed it (even just the championship game)?

The better team does not always win the game or the championship. Does that make their win or championship not count? Of course not.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Taking that logic to the NFL for an example, if they replayed last year's Super Bowl a bunch of times, I think the majority of people would bet that the Pats would win the majority of the matchups. Or in this years playoffs (unless I'm vastly mistaken), probably the Colts over the Chargers if they replayed a bunch of times. Perhaps we should retroactively crown New England as the winners of Super Bowl XLII (or whatever it was) and the Colts should be advanced to play Tennessee next week because they are the better team. Had George Mason actually won the NCAA tournament a few years ago, how many of us would've bet on them to do it again if they replayed it (even just the championship game)?

The better team does not always win the game or the championship. Does that make their win or championship not count? Of course not.

That wasn't my point. I said you can't reach a conclusion about a conference based on the results of one game or a few meaningless bowls. All these people are saying, "Oh the Big XII sucks, look at the bowls." That's bogus.

You can't declare the NFC is superior to the AFC just because the Giants upset the Patriots. You can't conclude the Mountain West is better than the SEC because Utah and Wyoming beat SEC teams this year. And so on.

I'll be interested to see the outcome of the Oklahoma-Florida game. Depending on how Oklahoma plays, then we can conclude that if they play poorly, it's the SEC and everyone else is just there. Or if they play well, it's going to tell us that the Big 12 has some claim to being a top notch conference. If that's the case then I give Ohio State that much more credit, USC looks that much better for beating the Big 10's top team, and Utah, well they beat the former #1 team so they deserve all the credit anyone wants to throw at them. I just watch the Big 12 and I sit there and as an observer of the Pac 10, the way the Big 12 played this year reminds me a lot of the Pac 10. If that's the case, then I'd expect to see up and down years from the Big 12 in bowl games.

Anyone watching the GMAC Bowl (Ball State vs. Tulsa)? This has to be the worst setting ever for a bowl game: on a soaked Astroturf field in a driving rainstorm in a half-empty stadium that's tiny to begin with.

CCSLC signature.png

Anyone watching the GMAC Bowl (Ball State vs. Tulsa)? This has to be the worst setting ever for a bowl game: on a soaked Astroturf field in a driving rainstorm in a half-empty stadium that's tiny to begin with.

That's Fieldturf they're playing on, not Astroturf -- doesn't seem like a worse setting than any other bowl game... it's not like they can stop the rain, which is probably affecting the attendance a bit.

IUe6Hvh.png

That's Fieldturf they're playing on, not Astroturf -- doesn't seem like a worse setting than any other bowl game... it's not like they can stop the rain, which is probably affecting the attendance a bit.

Therefore, by definition, a watered down bowl game.

I'm all for the these smaller, mid-major schools -- but really, who watches Ball State vs. Tulsa?

6uXNWAo.png

Therefore, by definition, a watered down bowl game.

I'm all for the these smaller, mid-major schools -- but really, who watches Ball State vs. Tulsa?

Not on January 6th I won't. If it was December 22nd, I probably would.

Archived