2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Congratulations Pittsburgh Pirates, you've just clinched your 17th straight losing season!

And from what I understand that's a record. Congratulations Pirates fans. Persistence does indeed pay off. Just remember, The Browns are gunning for you.

Didn't the Browns just have a winning season a year or two ago?

Yeah but there's still hope right?

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have we finally seen the last of Brad Lidge?

He looked like he had tears in his eyes when Charlie came out to pull him. Charlie looked really uncomfortable about it too, but it was the right move.

Cannot believe the man went from a perfect season to probably not even on the playoff roster in one season.

Hopefully Myers gets the spot, as Madson has already shown that he's not ready. Never thought I'd ever be rooting for Brett Myers - I feel dirty.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He looked like he had tears in his eyes when Charlie came out to pull him. Charlie looked really uncomfortable about it too, but it was the right move.

Cannot believe the man went from a perfect season to probably not even on the playoff roster in one season.

Hopefully Myers gets the spot, as Madson has already shown that he's not ready. Never thought I'd ever be rooting for Brett Myers - I feel dirty.

It's okay, Vet. Like Billy Shakespeare said, "Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows."

As long as Myers treats opposing batters like he treats his wife, your boys will be okay.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It's okay, Vet. Like Billy Shakespeare said, "Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows."

As long as Myers treats opposing batters like he treats his wife, your boys will be okay.

Ho so? If he hits them, they'll just move around the bases and score runs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ho so? If he hits them, they'll just move around the bases and score runs.

If he attacks opposing batters...goes after them (in the figurative sense). Throw in whatever baseball cliche makes sense.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Based on last night, Madson should close and Myers should set up Madson. Just because Madson blew some save opps while Lidge was on the DL does not mean he can't close. He should get at least as much of a leash as Lidge did, especially if we are throwing out any references to the past and are playing for now.

Charlie is genuinely broken up in reassigning the closer duties from Lidge. Lidge is willing to relinquish for the good of the team. As much as you have to worry about one player's psyche from being demoted, even more do you have to worry about the psyche of an entire team when trotting out a closer that can no longer close. We hope Lidge can regain his form in 2010 but you do all you can to win the title in 2009, feelings be damned.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Cardinals went through the same thing with Jason Isringhausen last year. The loyalty, the repeated blown saves, all of it. It was even harder on Tony, I think, because Izzy had been there so long, was the Cardinals saves leader, was after save #300, and was a hometown guy. Real difference is Phillies are a better team than the 08 Cardinals, so they're able to get through it. The Cardinals imploded. Plus, Lidge has probably been better than Izzy was. Izzy was getting nobody out, and then anyone else who tried to close didn't feel right about taking Izzy's job (see Franklin last year vs. this year closing) and did very little better.

Based on last night, Madson should close and Myers should set up Madson. Just because Madson blew some save opps while Lidge was on the DL does not mean he can't close. He should get at least as much of a leash as Lidge did, especially if we are throwing out any references to the past and are playing for now.

Charlie is genuinely broken up in reassigning the closer duties from Lidge. Lidge is willing to relinquish for the good of the team. As much as you have to worry about one player's psyche from being demoted, even more do you have to worry about the psyche of an entire team when trotting out a closer that can no longer close. We hope Lidge can regain his form in 2010 but you do all you can to win the title in 2009, feelings be damned.

I have to disagree here. Madson is so good in his role, I don't think you want to mess with that - not this close to the end. It's just too perfect - Madson is a fantastic 8th-inning guy, and Myers is drooling at the opportunity to close (of course he still has to actually perform for this to work.) It requires the least amount of tinkering with things.

Of course things will be tinkered with in the bullpen, as Eyre's and Romero's injuries will likely force Happ to the 'pen in October, a move which he certainly won't be Happ-y (sorry) about, but will accept.

I have to disagree here. Madson is so good in his role, I don't think you want to mess with that - not this close to the end. It's just too perfect - Madson is a fantastic 8th-inning guy, and Myers is drooling at the opportunity to close (of course he still has to actually perform for this to work.) It requires the least amount of tinkering with things.

Of course things will be tinkered with in the bullpen, as Eyre's and Romero's injuries will likely force Happ to the 'pen in October, a move which he certainly won't be Happ-y (sorry) about, but will accept.

But we agree that NotLidge is the way to go.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Hmmm... Werth just put them up by 1 in the 8th. Who pitches the bottom??? Madson? Myers? Who then pitches the ninth? Oh, the drama.

EDIT: Feliz puts them up by 2. Still interesting to see who comes in the 8th and 9th.

EDIT2: Lee is staying in.

Only the Nats can flub a no out, bases loaded situations against Chan Ho Park!

Actually the Mets did it a few months ago

Well damn, I feel your pain Tank.

Chan Ho has been an absolute stud in the 'pen this year. So it's not "only the Nats" who have failed against him.

Hmmm... Werth just put them up by 1 in the 8th. Who pitches the bottom??? Madson? Myers? Who then pitches the ninth? Oh, the drama.

EDIT: Feliz puts them up by 2. Still interesting to see who comes in the 8th and 9th.

...and it's Madson.

Would've gone with Myers. Was he available tonight?

Lidge said that Charlie told him he would go to him tonight if they had a save situation in the 9th. Apparently, Charlie had a private meeting with Lidge prior to tonight's game. No word yet on what was said, but obviously he's getting at least one night off.

EDIT: leadoff man on board.... here we go again.

...and it's Madson.

Would've gone with Myers. Was he available tonight?

Lidge said that Charlie told him he would go to him tonight if they had a save situation in the 9th. Apparently, Charlie had a private meeting with Lidge prior to tonight's game. No word yet on what was said, but obviously he's getting at least one night off.

EDIT: leadoff man on board.... here we go again.

Hooray for base running mistakes!

:upside:

Archived