Los Angeles Angels "Rebrand"

Shumway

But, seriously, as a peace offering, OC can have the Clippers. Really. Take them. Please! :D

Haha, we've had them for certain homegames between 1994-1999 lol.

Even me as a Laker fan, I'd welcome the Clippers. Cheaper/closer Lakers tickets lol.

and admiral... just go away...

Sorry to Shumway for this thread going a little off tangent.

As I said before, great concept.

Just lose the LA and use only a little navy as an accent and keep the red alt and its a keeper :D

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another great example of pathetic attempt at changing would be the Arizona Diamondbacks who had an original look and then decided to use colors awkwardly similar to Houston.

Nevermind that the colour scheme actually works for the D-backs, while it's FAIL-tastic for Houston.

Houston's one of those teams that'll never look good. The Padres are another. At best, they fail to look terrible, like the last Astrodome uniforms. The current stuff is a mixed metaphor of design (you could say it gets lost under its own weight) that isn't going anywhere because the team's capricious yahoo of an owner likes 'im some burnt orange shirts, wooooeeee. Thing is, I wouldn't even know how to make them look good. There's no right answer to the Houston Astros.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Aight, I suppose I gotta defend myself now, although I honestly don't find it to be necessary. The Angels have been navy for their entire existence, with the exception of the past 7 years. I'm all about tradition, so I went back to the navy. Simple as that. I don't see how this is a Dodgers knockoff, either. It's royal and white vs. navy and red. It's a script logo vs. a relatively simple, serifed western font. It's an "LA" on a cap vs. an "A" on a cap. Yes, I made an alternate "LA" cap, but it's an alternate for a reason. The halos on the caps is something that I've always found to be unique to the team. In order to take a common color set in the MLB, I used the halos to make the uniforms unique.

NEWS FLASH!!!

This just now circulating...the owners of the NHL Ducks have petitioned NHL Commish, Gary Bettman, to let the organization be known as the "Los Angeles Ducks Of Anaheim" starting with the 2009-10 NHL season.

Citing the opportunity to make more money in all revenue areas, as well as imaging themselves as a bigger market team, the Ducks owners feel this change is necessary in order to remain financially viable in this sluggish American economy.

Bettman has said he will take this application under review pending a meeting with President Obama, a meeting at the White House will take place early next week to address this urgent situation more thoroughly.

The meeting was going to be this Friday, however, Obama insisted that Rahm Emanual also attend, and Emanual could not fit it into his schedule until early next week.

Stay tuned.

P.S. If I were an Angels fan living in Anaheim, every time I heard the ESPNers mention the Angels as "LA', I'd want to reach through the TV to strangle someone.

Houston's one of those teams that'll never look good. The Padres are another. At best, they fail to look terrible, like the last Astrodome uniforms. The current stuff is a mixed metaphor of design (you could say it gets lost under its own weight) that isn't going anywhere because the team's capricious yahoo of an owner likes 'im some burnt orange shirts, wooooeeee. Thing is, I wouldn't even know how to make them look good. There's no right answer to the Houston Astros.

The uniforms they had prior to the current set were, IMO, the best the franchise has had. That's as close to "right" as you can get for the Astros.

Even those were kind of underwhelming. For the whole futuristic theme, they just wore plain old navy blue like everyone else, didn't they? That star was ugly, and I'm pretty sure they used Impact for the numbers. Even though those jerseys predate Internet culture, Impact is irreparably ruined for me.

I like the addition of navy (I never got why the Angels wear pretty much exclusively red now) and I absolutely love the halo on top of the caps and helmets. But I really don't like the LA secondary logo. First, I believe Los Angeles and Anaheim/Orange County are different entities but that's a different argument. Second, it feels too much like it's leeching off the Dodgers, when they have a perfectly good logo already. Third, the L seems to extend way too far out to reach the A and the L doesn't rise high enough above the tip of the A, even though the bottom of the L makes up the line in the A.

Otherwise, great job on the uniform and I like the tweaks!

NEWS FLASH!!!

This just now circulating...the owners of the NHL Ducks have petitioned NHL Commish, Gary Bettman, to let the organization be known as the "Los Angeles Ducks Of Anaheim" starting with the 2009-10 NHL season.

Citing the opportunity to make more money in all revenue areas, as well as imaging themselves as a bigger market team, the Ducks owners feel this change is necessary in order to remain financially viable in this sluggish American economy.

Bettman has said he will take this application under review pending a meeting with President Obama, a meeting at the White House will take place early next week to address this urgent situation more thoroughly.

The meeting was going to be this Friday, however, Obama insisted that Rahm Emanual also attend, and Emanual could not fit it into his schedule until early next week.

Stay tuned.

P.S. If I were an Angels fan living in Anaheim, every time I heard the ESPNers mention the Angels as "LA', I'd want to reach through the TV to strangle someone.

You should be banned simply for wasting our time with a pathetic attempt at a joke that got old years ago. No Soup for you.

BACK onto topic, again. My issue with this Angels concept isn't the re-addition,er, actually resurgance of navy. The whole set is quite awesome actually. The halo on the cap, as I mentioned, just doesn't seem to work in the current time period. Not saying it's ugle, always thought those were pretty nice caps. It's just a matter of classic or retro that just doesn't work as well as an everyday look today. As I mentioned before, a BP cap would look fine with the halo on the top. And also using both an 'A' logo and an 'LA' logo. With the D'Backs, at least the 'A' and 'D(Snake)' logos are completely different, aswear here, other than adding the 'L' to the 'A' logo, they're too similar to work together. Again, they both look great, it's simply a matter of functionality. Pick one or the other unless another 'LA' logo can be created that is distinguishably different from the 'A' logo.

So basically, my quips aren't with the looks, which are really well done, but rather with the function and coexstence of the items within the set.

i think the set from 94-99 was best. it had the whoel space theme for them and not old west trains.

the angels should go back to being the anaheim angels and use a navy theme for the road unis (navy with red birm hat, navy socks and belt.)

Mets, Jets, Islanders

That WAS the best set, and it still wasn't great. What was your favorite Padres uniform? Mine might have been this one if they had gotten it right (no urine pants, a better San Diego mark, better NOBs, no redundant white-on-navy SD hat), but even then, it's just kinda there.

the angels should go back to being the anaheim angels and use a navy theme for the road unis (navy with red birm hat, navy socks and belt.)

Nah, they shouldn't. I don't like the design conceit of teams changing their main color as they go from home to road. If you're red at home, you're red all over. Same gripe with the Nationals and Cardinals doing that stupid red-navy shift. I know the Angels have traditionally used a lot of navy, but I feel like this Dodger blue/Angel red thing is ideal.

People have brought up some great points in here once we got out of the OC-LA debate. Yes, I will admit that the colors that the Diamondbacks fit them better than they do the Astros. Hands down, it's just more appropriate for the area. I think the Astros best look was the Navy and Orange. If they could just update the ASTROS on the shooting star uniforms of the late 60's early 70's, that would be a perfect look. As far as going back to the classic navy blue and red, if you're a traditionalist, I don't have too much of a problem with that. But I do wonder why when you've had success with color A as your primary, why would you go back to a main color scheme that was nothing but heartbreak? It would be like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers going back to orange and red, or the LA Kings going back to purple and gold? Once in a while, sure, for old time sake; but a total return even though the fans would love it, seems weird to me. Oh and the Padres.... seem to always be an epic failure with something working. I think their best look was the late 80's early 90's, brown and orange. For me what kills this new set is the numbers and that San DiegO wordmark.

The numbers are double-outlined fancy numbers like the Jaguars use, right? Then the names are just plain athletic block? That makes little sense. I don't love the brown and yellow like a lot of people seem to, probably because that's the worst possible color combination there is.

If they could just update the ASTROS on the shooting star uniforms of the late 60's early 70's, that would be a perfect look.

I think you've got it!

Back to the concept, I've noticed a lot of them, like this one, use vertical arch lettering rather than radial. Do THAT many people like it? I mean, it was cool for the Braves and a few others, but good old radial is usually enough to get the job done for me.

Archived