Los Angeles Angels "Rebrand"

Shumway

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not even close to being 'Los Angeles'.

It's Anaheim, always was - always will be.

The Anaheim Angels are as much Los Angeles - as any proposed NHL team that plays their games in Hamilton, Ontario, would be caught looking stupid by referring to themselves as 'Toronto'.

Its not even close to being 'Los Angeles'.

It's Anaheim, always was - always will be.

The Anaheim Angels are as much Los Angeles - as any proposed NHL team that plays their games in Hamilton, Ontario, would be caught looking stupid by referring to themselves as 'Toronto'.

Sure it is. It's called Urban sprawl.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

First off,

Love the Concept, but as has been repeated, too much navy. If there was just some around the wordmark and then have the hat be blue with the red bill, yellow halo, itd be perfect.

Second,

For those saying just drop the Anaheim to get the "Los Angeles" on the jersey. Ain't going to happen, ever. It's in the contract with the stadium (Angel Stadium of ANAHEIM) that they MUST have ANAHEIM in the name. So, as long as the Angels play baseball here, they will have Anaheim in their name. Also the only crackpot in the Angels organization that did this was Arte Moreno. He's the owner he can do what he wants with the name, I guess. But if they put Los Angeles on the jerseys, people would freak, picket, and most possibly boycot or maybe (probably not here in OC) riot. They would lose so much money and fanbase if they put Los Angeles on the uniforms.

I love the Halos, but if they put Los Angeles on the uniforms, I could never put my heart into that team. As it is right now, the only people that refer to the Angels as the Los Angeles Angels are ESPN and really people outside the California/Nevada/Arizona area. Around here they're just the Angels. They're marketed as "Angels." T-shirts, pennants, posters, say "Angels." They don't even play it up to be so. Which is fine. They lose a bit of individuality, but they're almost a brand around here now. Which is fine, and I'm sure what Arte wanted to begin with.

But if they ever brought the cities (either Los Angeles, or even Anaheim to an extent with the greater fanbase now) into the uniforms they're would be some hysteria.

And if we're playing the "urban sprawl" or "TV affiliate" card. Is San Bernadino part of LA? is Riverside? Bakersfield? Santa Barbara?

Fact is, lifestyle and culture-wise, LA and OC are infinitely different. Many similarities, but not the same.

And the TV Market thing, Are the Green Bay Packers the Milwaukee Packers of Green Bay? No.

It's the same argument you could put up for the San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland. If you put a team in one of those 3 cities and had it's primary name be called one of the other, it'd be ridiculous. (On that subject, if the A's move to Fremon and become Oakland of Fremont,... I can't even describe it) Sure same general area, but different. If a team was the Bay Area Whatevers (or Golden State Warriors lol) they would be no qualms. Because that's what it is.

But you cant call any OC team the Los Angeles Basin Anythings. or the Greater LA Metro Angels. Sorry. It's all different. And we take pride in that down here. So any argument by people from outside OC on this name thing will always have a huge opposition...

Anyways. This conversation has gone on too long...

GREAT Concept Shumway.

Just a tad less navy. Keep the red sleeves and the red alt. But bring some Navy piping maybe, Navy behind the logo, and Navy on the hat and we're golden.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Actually, LA is only 15 minutes away from Anaheim if you know your geography. :D As far as the concept goes, do what the Mighty Ducks did, rebrand yourself something totally different. There is nothing in the uniform, or logos that says anything about their former look. While I don't like the numbers, and would've preferred them to go dark green instead of black, they did an excellent job of separating themselves from the past. And that past wasn't all bad as they went to the Cup finals a few years before the rebrand. I keep seeing "rebrands" left and right and it reminds me of Pepsi's constant rebrand every two to three years, and that's just a minor change and it keeps getting worse as they go. To me a rebrand means to change your identity and this along with majority of rebrands are either minor tweaks or just reretroing a team. Do something that the Angels haven't done before. Use colors and a new logo. If a team has red and blue in their color history, find colors that they haven't used that work well and here's the key, make them stand out. To have another navy team in MLB doesn't make them stand out, and yes there are too many red teams also. You have an opportunity to do something unique with them color wise and come up with a new logo, script, and wordmark. Look at other teams as far as what works and doesn't work. Find other sources of inspiration to get ideas from, other leagues both baseball and other leagues. I'm looking for something to excite me in the concept boards and I haven't seen anything in like 6 months. I just want someone to give me a concept or rebrand where I say, "Dam that's good!"

I love the concept. I think the navy cap with the red bill is the way to go. I also think a red alternate would go a ways into this not looking like the Braves at first glance. I love the work and am looking forward to seeing more.

Second,

For those saying just drop the Anaheim to get the "Los Angeles" on the jersey. Ain't going to happen, ever. It's in the contract with the stadium (Angel Stadium of ANAHEIM) that they MUST have ANAHEIM in the name. So, as long as the Angels play baseball here, they will have Anaheim in their name. Also the only crackpot in the Angels organization that did this was Arte Moreno. He's the owner he can do what he wants with the name, I guess. But if they put Los Angeles on the jerseys, people would freak, picket, and most possibly boycot or maybe (probably not here in OC) riot. They would lose so much money and fanbase if they put Los Angeles on the uniforms.

I love the Halos, but if they put Los Angeles on the uniforms, I could never put my heart into that team. As it is right now, the only people that refer to the Angels as the Los Angeles Angels are ESPN and really people outside the California/Nevada/Arizona area. Around here they're just the Angels. They're marketed as "Angels." T-shirts, pennants, posters, say "Angels." They don't even play it up to be so. Which is fine. They lose a bit of individuality, but they're almost a brand around here now. Which is fine, and I'm sure what Arte wanted to begin with.

But if they ever brought the cities (either Los Angeles, or even Anaheim to an extent with the greater fanbase now) into the uniforms they're would be some hysteria.

And if we're playing the "urban sprawl" or "TV affiliate" card. Is San Bernadino part of LA? is Riverside? Bakersfield? Santa Barbara?

Fact is, lifestyle and culture-wise, LA and OC are infinitely different. Many similarities, but not the same.

And the TV Market thing, Are the Green Bay Packers the Milwaukee Packers of Green Bay? No.

It's the same argument you could put up for the San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland. If you put a team in one of those 3 cities and had it's primary name be called one of the other, it'd be ridiculous. (On that subject, if the A's move to Fremon and become Oakland of Fremont,... I can't even describe it) Sure same general area, but different. If a team was the Bay Area Whatevers (or Golden State Warriors lol) they would be no qualms. Because that's what it is.

But you cant call any OC team the Los Angeles Basin Anythings. or the Greater LA Metro Angels. Sorry. It's all different. And we take pride in that down here. So any argument by people from outside OC on this name thing will always have a huge opposition...

Metropolitan areas are determined mainly by geography (and some of that TV stuff others mentioned), and not at all by culture and lifestyle. Anaheim-ians may feel like they have a different "identity", and that's fine and they probably do, but nonetheless, they are part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area. It's just a fact.

And why I don't feel the halo will work is because of the times. In these modern times, the halo on the top just doesn't fit. It did back in the 60's when they originally used them, but not now. On a BP cap, maybe. But not the game caps. And while I feel them being "Los Angeles" works and makes sense, you need to either choose between the single "A" logo or the "LA" logo. They seem to present 2 seperate representations. Some may be able to see it as the same as the Diamondbacks; "A" for Arizona and the "D-Snake" for Diamondbacks, but here, it just adds to the confusion that their identity is already engulfed in. Plus I'm one of the followers of the "Letters for Location ONLY" monograms and not the letter for the nickname... except for maybe an alt or BP cap.

I never said the halo didn't work. And I'm not talking about you when I say pathetic, but if they Angels went to this they would look like Dodger wanna-be's just like the Rangers this year with the red cap and uniforms are going to look like Angel wanna-be's. If you're going to rebrand something, don't look like a competitor, be original. Another great example of pathetic attempt at changing would be the Arizona Diamondbacks who had an original look and then decided to use colors awkwardly similar to Houston.

Are you saying that you actually liked the original D-Backs colors? those were aweful and a disgrace to baseball and its history. I love their current colors and their red does seem different to me than the Astros. Anywas, dont like the halo for modern day baseball, but dont see a problem with the LA interlocking (who cares if the Dodgers do) if they were to ever just be the LA Angels. The Mets and Yankees both have NY's and they are different enough in arrangement and style. I agree with McCall about having location only monograms, except for the snake "D" for D-Backs. really like that one.

I love the Halos, but if they put Los Angeles on the uniforms, I could never put my heart into that team.

Then you're an idiot, and the team would be better off without you as a fan.

They lose a bit of individuality, but they're almost a brand around here now.

Every team name is a brand. The Angels can't and don't transcend the notion of teams representing places. They're a Los Angeles team, playing games in a suburb thereof. It's like the Orioles claiming they couldn't put "Baltimore" on their shirts because they have fans in North Carolina. As if some guy in Raleigh is watching an O's game after years of being a fan and were suddenly to exclaim "wait! They're the BALTIMORE Orioles?!? I feel betrayed!"

See, this sentence is semantic nonsense you get when you just assemble phrases. Read "Politics and the English Language" if you can track it down. That aside, you're wrong, and I'm maintaining my assertion from a few weeks ago that this "we're not them" meme associated with Orange County is rooted in a passive form of bigotry. Greater L.A. covers a whole slew of counties where lots of different people reside. Long Beach is not Anaheim is not Anaheim Hills is not Los Angeles is not Oxnard is not Fullerton is Simi Valley. That's common sense. Nonetheless, the Dodgers represent them all, and the Angels represent them all too. That's from Major League Baseball.

As for the concept, I love that the yellow halos are back, because I completely agree that it pops so much better than the silver does and stays truer to the original Big A, but I can't get behind the halos on the hats. They looked minor-league and sloppy in the '60s, and I'm not sure they'd look appreciably better today. Just from a fan standpoint, hats get worn out, beat up, and warped over time, and I'm not sure the halo on the crown would hold up to that wear and tear without looking kind of bulging and crooked. I'd have preferred the Western lettering for the NOBs so as to match the numbers, rather than vertical-arched lettering like the old good Braves. And a Los Angeles script on the greys, that too. They're pretty good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Then you're an idiot...

"wait! They're the BALTIMORE Orioles?!? I feel betrayed!" ...

Nonetheless, the Dodgers represent them all, and the Angels represent them all too. That's from Major League Baseball...

I'm the idiot for having pride in where I'm from and the identity I have, and if a team that represents where I'm from changes its name without physically moving to try and represent something it's not? You've obviously never had that kind of pride in anything. You've never been a die-hard then, I'm guessing? You could obviously care less about where you're from or what you represent.

As for the Raleigh/Baltimore point you tried to make. That doesn't really apply here. If the Orioles had played in Raleigh and been the Raleigh Orioles, then inexplicably changed their names to the Baltimore Orioles of Raleigh, then went and disregarded the Raleigh portion of the name and put Baltimore on the jerseys, then a fan could make that claim of betrayal. That is what would make me feel that way. They were the ANAHEIM Angels. Now the LA of Anaheim, and if they put Los Angeles on the Uniform, that's what it would be. A betrayal of the place it resides in. When a community has its team it takes pride in that, and if that team tried to distance itself from that community that brought it to its feet and supported it, then that'd be a betrayal. The legal name itself is easily discarded and hidden by simply using the Angels brand. But if they were to put a physical and tangible "Los Angeles" brand on a uniform? You don't see what that would be?

And really? That's from MLB? I don't recall the press release from Bud Selig dictating that "The Dodgers and Angels shall represent every and all fans from Santa Barbara to San Clemente, from the Inland Empire to the Central Valley, from Santa Monica to Barstow, from Riverside to Thousand Oaks, and all municipalities in between in the Oxnard, Ventura, Riverside, San Bernadino, Orange, and Los Angeles counites." I don't recall that one. Could you find that for me? I'd be ever so appreciative if you could. Thanks.

OK, I'm not really seeing the argument about Anaheim being the flag-carrying entity of Orange County. If the team was the Orange County Angels, then I could see why there would be as much outcry, but when people from Mission Viejo or San Clemente raise a fuss, it doesn't make sense to me with those cities about as far from Anaheim as LA is.

The thing is that I'm from LA County and I don't see why there's such an elitist isolation felt by OC. Quite frankly, the cultural differences are similar to the cultural differences between people in Westwood and Koreatown... both in the LA city limits. Heck, my area, the South Bay, is very much OC-like, since it's fairly affluent and near the beach. My whole feeling is that if I can get there in a half hour, and I can name less than 3 freeways to take, it's LA. For me, the 91 to the 5. The Angels are my team as much as anybody's. My desk has 8 Halo bobbleheads, and I go to several games a year. Just because a stadium is in a certain place doesn't mean that it is sole property of that location. Media market is the biggest factor, and until I start watching Angels games on KANA or KANH or KOCC, they're as much a part of LA as the Dodgers.

VmWIn6B.png

OK, I'm not really seeing the argument about Anaheim being the flag-carrying entity of Orange County. If the team was the Orange County Angels, then I could see why there would be as much outcry, but when people from Mission Viejo or San Clemente raise a fuss, it doesn't make sense to me with those cities about as far from Anaheim as LA is.

The thing is that I'm from LA County and I don't see why there's such an elitist isolation felt by OC. Quite frankly, the cultural differences are similar to the cultural differences between people in Westwood and Koreatown... both in the LA city limits. Heck, my area, the South Bay, is very much OC-like, since it's fairly affluent and near the beach. My whole feeling is that if I can get there in a half hour, and I can name less than 3 freeways to take, it's LA. For me, the 91 to the 5. The Angels are my team as much as anybody's. My desk has 8 Halo bobbleheads, and I go to several games a year. Just because a stadium is in a certain place doesn't mean that it is sole property of that location. Media market is the biggest factor, and until I start watching Angels games on KANA or KANH or KOCC, they're as much a part of LA as the Dodgers.

Ducks games are on KDOC :D (Calling KDOC execs right now to get the Angels contract)

I do see your side of the argument, but me personally as an OC resident born and raised, I really don't like being lumped in with LA. Heck, even in my hometown I get scrutiny. If I go anywhere else in the country and say I'm from Laguna Hills, people are like OMG is that like Laguna Beach? Fact is, no its not. They're different places and I like getting the recognition of being the different place.

As for Anaheim being the flag-carrier for OC, They are in the sense that they (besides the beaches and Knott's Berry Farm) are the main attraction in OC. Disneyland (and all that it encompasses), Angels, Ducks are all in Anaheim. I don't see thousands of tourists each year flocking to Mission Viejo Lake or Laguna Niguel Regional Park. The attractions in Anaheim are what keep us on a daily national scene ("The OC" and "Laguna Beach" are no longer in this discussion, because they are cancelled :D )

Also, just as a general observation I've seen in my travels here around the southland, I'd say that LA county is generally about 80% Dodger fans and OC is about 80% Angels fans. The other 20% in each county are the crossover fanbases. But would you disagree with me in saying that you, LMU as an Angel fan is in the minority of the fanbase in your area? I would say where I am in South OC, I am in the majority as an Angel fan. There may be fans in both areas, but saying the Angels and Dodgers both hold the same amount of claim to LA as the other just seems incorrect to me. I would say there is an obvious majority-hold on the fans in each area, just by my observation.

Yeah, I do agree about me being in the minority, especially with me working in the Downey/South Gate area (then again, people here seem to only care about the Raiders). Strangely, my neighbor's also an avid Halo fan. I actually have an uncle living in Aliso Viejo, so I do know that there's at least some differentiation (heck, I'd go as far as to see similarities between South OC and Santa Barbara), but I see things as more of a media market issue than anything.

But, seriously, as a peace offering, OC can have the Clippers. Really. Take them. Please! :D

VmWIn6B.png

Love the whole set, especially going back to the halos on the cap and helmet. Great job with the blue and everything color-wise as well, but is it possible to see the BP jersey in red? Just wondering what it would look like.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Can we drop the LA-OC thing? This is not about LA-OC, but about a concept, stay on track people. I'm starting to hope that the administrators start deleting posts that don't stay on track especially when talking about someone's concept. To answer the previous question about the D'backs, yes I did very much enjoy the uniqueness of the purple, gold, teal, and black. And if Arizona's colors were so different why is it they can't wear their red jerseys when the Astros wear theirs when the two teams play? Because they look so similar it'd look like an intrasquad game!

There may be fans in both areas, but saying the Angels and Dodgers both hold the same amount of claim to LA as the other just seems incorrect to me.

As per Major League Baseball, the Angels' and Dodgers' official territories are coterminous.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived