2009 NASCAR Season

BrySmalls

They took out Rockingham so there is just Martinsville and Charlotte in NC. Really? Last time I checked Martinsville is in Virginia, and Martinsville sells out both it's races so how does that affect the attendance at Charlotte and people not showing up?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First post here:

I'm still rooting for Mark Martin to somehow come back and win his first championship. He deserves it.

Either that or we'll have to change "Damn Yankees" to "Damn Jimmy Johnson".

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

;)

I inadvertently implied it, but I'm not unhappy with Johnson's success at all, aside from it taking away from Jeff Gordon, lol. They're both great drivers.

I just thought that it should be Martin's turn, nothing else.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

;)

I inadvertently implied it, but I'm not unhappy with Johnson's success at all, aside from it taking away from Jeff Gordon, lol. They're both great drivers.

I just thought that it should be Martin's turn, nothing else.

It wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular. I just saw some posts saying things like the chase needs to be "Jimmie proofed" etc. so I wondered if it was the same back in Earnhardt's day.

I was not an Earnhardt fan back in his heyday but I never thought the entire sport needed to be overhauled to make it harder for him to win either. So I wondered if the reaction to Earnhardt's dominance was the same as it has been to Johnson's.

BB52Big.jpg

To answer the Earnhardt-Johnson question, absolutely he was hated as was Jeff Gordon after Earnhardt and DW before Earnhardt. They guy who is dominating is always hated and always will be. Have you noticed not so many boos for Kyle Busch this year? Why? Because he's not dominating. Earnhardt was hated. It was only after he won the 1998 Daytona 500 did the tide start to turn and he started to become liked by more and more fans. What's really amazing is how he has become perfect after his death. Fans refuse to remember or never knew that on the track he got the name the "Intimidator" by running over and wrecking people. Don't believe me, watch any interview with a driver who raced against him and just about every one of them will tell you of a time or two or three where Earnhardt would run up behind them and spin them out, walk up to them the next week with a smile and his patented grab of the neck and the driver would think everything was fine between the two and then in the next race Earnhardt would spin the same driver. The thing was, Earnhardt on the track was the biggest a-hole in the history of the sport and yet people either forget that or refuse to remember their "hero" as being the biggest a-hole on the track and Earnhardt knew he was. It's why he told Jeff Gordon once when Gordon asked him about the boos bothering him, Earnhardt said, "If they ain't making noise, that's when you don't matter." Back to Kyle Busch, who hasn't heard the boos. Don't ever think Earnhardt was loved by the fans, he like Kyle Busch, Matt Kenseth, Carl Edwards, had his group of fans and everyone else hated him.

They took out Rockingham so there is just Martinsville and Charlotte in NC. Really? Last time I checked Martinsville is in Virginia, and Martinsville sells out both it's races so how does that affect the attendance at Charlotte and people not showing up?

Martinsville sure looked less than capacity today. The sport is struggling live and on TV, in reference to past seasons. The search for land to build tracks in Seattle and teh NYC area are not helping.

The "mystery caution" came up again on Jeff Gordon's channel with Letard. With 77 laps left, I overheard the conversation in which Letard told Jeff when to pit. All of this comments were under green, but he (Letard) said, "16 before we pit; They are not going to keep it green."

Now, all the leaders were forced to pit under green, but the legit caution caused by John Andretti occurred three to four laps later. Did someone get "the call for yellow"?

Martinsville sure looked less than capacity today. The sport is struggling live and on TV, in reference to past seasons. The search for land to build tracks in Seattle and teh NYC area are not helping.

The "mystery caution" came up again on Jeff Gordon's channel with Letard. With 77 laps left, I overheard the conversation in which Letard told Jeff when to pit. All of this comments were under green, but he (Letard) said, "16 before we pit; They are not going to keep it green."

Now, all the leaders were forced to pit under green, but the legit caution caused by John Andretti occurred three to four laps later. Did someone get "the call for yellow"?

If you're talking about the last caution for debris there was nothing mysterious about it. A piece of A.J. Almendinger's car came off and ESPN showed it happening on a replay. Denny Hamlin then said "they're going to give him (I assume he meant Johnson) another shot at it." Also, Letard could have been referring to the drivers when he said "They are not going to keep it green." Martinsville isn't exactly known for really long green flag runs.

The rest of this post isn't directed to you specifically dfwabel...I'm just talking in general now.

On all this NASCAR conspiracy stuff like "mystery cautions" I have one question, how does it benefit NASCAR to have the same driver win the cup 4 straight times? Or 4 of the 6 Chase races? (if they really were trying to give Johnson "another shot" it would have been his 4th Chase win) If NASCAR really were into the whole idea of "fixing" outcomes why is the most popular driver in the sport mired in his worst season ever? Why did they "let" the unpopular Kyle Busch dominate the regular season last year? NASCAR wasn't going to win any new fans by helping Jimmie Johnson win another race. I don't know how many of you have Sirius-XM radio but if you do, tune in to The NASCAR radio channel and listen to how "thrilled" fans are that the 48 is running away with another season championship. Outside Hendrick fans like myself, no one is too happy about it.

If NASCAR is trying to affect the outcome of races there a a whole bunch of better story lines than Jimmie Johnson methodically taking apart the field to win his fourth straight championship. NASCAR could easily engineer a better story line than that. They could go with Tony Stewart's miraculous first season as an owner-driver. They could have "helped" the 88 to a phenomenal comeback season. They could have "let" media favorite Carl Edwards win the championship that so many in the media felt was rightfully his last season. They could have "made sure" that fan and sentimental favorite Mark Martin won the cup this season. If they can't do it on the track, all it takes to derail the 48 team is an inspection violation. And so on...

NASCAR isn't throwing "mystery cautions" to help the drivers they "want to see win." Just because ESPN cameras can't find the debris doesn't mean it doesn't exist." If anything, NASCAR is too concerned about safety and that may be why they are too quick to the trigger on debris cautions. If NASCAR is influencing the outcome why hasn't one employee stepped forward to say so and blow the lid on the whole thing? These are NASCAR officials we're talking about here. They aren't government operatives.

Rant over. Carry on. :D

BB52Big.jpg

1) #48-Jimmie Johnson [6 wins], 6098, finished 2nd

2) #5-Mark Martin [5 wins], 5980, -118, 8th

3) #24-Jeff Gordon [1 win], 5948, -150, 5th

4) #14-Tony Stewart [4 wins], 5906, -192, 9th

5) #42-Juan Pablo Montoya 5898, -200, 3rd

6) #2-Kurt Busch [1 win], 5858, -240, 17th

Those are the Chase drivers before next week at Talladega. The "Big One" can hurt a driver like it did to Carl Edwards last year. Smaller plates could make a difference, but JPM and their engines are still good for plate races.

Personally, if you want to go to a race, (the 2nd Talladgea race) this is it. It means so much!

Let me hit on a couple topics. The "search" for land to build tracks in Seattle and NYC have nothing to do with whether a track sells out or not. Stop and use the brain that God gave you for once and ask yourself if anyone in Texas, California, Florida, or where ever there's a track is not going to the track because someone is looking to build a track somewhere else. Think. Try it for once. There will probably never be a track in Seattle. If they can't build a new arena for the basketball team that was there, how do you expect them to build a track? Please explain. There will never be a track in NYC, for pretty much the same reason, political tape. Don't believe me, well ask the New York Islanders about their new arena. I'm taking a guess, the next reply without thinking will state that the weather in the North Pole somehow affected the attendance in Talladega next week. Unless, someone is flying in from the North Pole and gets caught in a snow storm it won't affect Talladega's attendance.

Now onto the whole "mystery" cautions, and drivers getting the "call" and whatever stupid crap I've heard for years. The only people who actually believe this stuff, have not followed the sport for more than a few years and have listened to some moron who is drunk. There is no "call" otherwise certain drivers would win every race. As far as "mystery" cautions go. Just because the tv camera or the the tv station does not tell you about what the caution was for, does not mean it was "fake". A couple years ago, Nascar got blasted because Ryan Newman hit the wall after someone was leaking some oil for a couple laps and Newman hit it and the wall at Dover. Ever since then, the mandate has been, "If it looks like it could cause a problem, we need to get it off the track." This is what I "love" about people who sit there and give crap to Nascar for these "mystery" cautions and say that there is no need for them. These are the same people who will complain if Nascar didn't throw a caution and a driver hits the track and wrecks. I'm not saying that Nascar is perfect, but hell, I've seen plenty of bad calls over the past few weeks in all sports that are worse than Nascar waving a caution flag and picking up a piece of trash or whatever. Heck, I saw a flag a few weeks ago for a guy scoring a touchdown and walking back to his teammates to celebrate. Seriously? A kid scores a touchdown and then walks up to his teammates and you throw a 15 yard unsportsman like penalty on him? And then you throw a 15 yard flag on the opposing team's next score? That is worse than a "mystery" caution. If you think that Nascar is all about one driver or throws "mystery" cautions, then you need to go to your local short track and see if you can sit with the officials who call the race and see the TRUTH of what really goes on during a race. I just don't think anyone's got the gonads to do that, because that would prove them wrong.

If you people want to believe in fantasy stuff, then read the Enquirer, but if you want to talk about reality, then get some actual knowledge about what you are talking about.

Let me hit on a couple topics. The "search" for land to build tracks in Seattle and NYC have nothing to do with whether a track sells out or not. Stop and use the brain that God gave you for once and ask yourself if anyone in Texas, California, Florida, or where ever there's a track is not going to the track because someone is looking to build a track somewhere else. Think. Try it for once. There will probably never be a track in Seattle. If they can't build a new arena for the basketball team that was there, how do you expect them to build a track? Please explain. There will never be a track in NYC, for pretty much the same reason, political tape. Don't believe me, well ask the New York Islanders about their new arena. I'm taking a guess, the next reply without thinking will state that the weather in the North Pole somehow affected the attendance in Talladega next week. Unless, someone is flying in from the North Pole and gets caught in a snow storm it won't affect Talladega's attendance.

Putting a track on Staten Island was the dumbest potential track locations I ever heard of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jimmie Johnson needs to finish 25th or better at Homestead and guess what he's on the Pole, Martin will start 4th.

And in other news Johnson has signed an extension to stay at Hendrick through 2015.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Jimmie Johnson needs to finish 25th or better at Homestead and guess what he's on the Pole, Martin will start 4th.

And in other news Johnson has signed an extension to stay at Hendrick through 2015.

When 48 leads a lap, which he will, he just needs to finish 27th or better.

As a 48 and Hendrick fan I'd love to say it's over but as Texas has already shown us, nothing is over until the checkered flag waves.

That said, I predict that the 48 team wins this race to put the ultimate F-U exclamation point on the season for all the whiners who are upset he's on track for four in a row.

BB52Big.jpg

As a 48 and Hendrick fan I'd love to say it's over but as Texas has already shown us, nothing is over until the checkered flag waves.

That said, I predict that the 48 team wins this race to put the ultimate F-U exclamation point on the season for all the whiners who are upset he's on track for four in a row.

Martin has gained 108 points on Johnson nine times in his career, including once at Homestead and in Texas two weeks ago.

Martin has gained 108 points on Johnson nine times in his career, including once at Homestead and in Texas two weeks ago.

Precisely why I will not believe J.J. has it sewn up until they are handing him the cup Sunday night. Then I will relax and enjoy being a 48 fan. Until then it's nail-biting time.

BB52Big.jpg

Precisely why I will not believe J.J. has it sewn up until they are handing him the cup Sunday night. Then I will relax and enjoy being a 48 fan. Until then it's nail-biting time.

Would be nice if we see a driver "accidentally" knock out JJ, however, that will forever be despised by JJ and his fans. In a weird twist, imagine if the culprit of this far-flung scenario was Junior?

Oh it's over. Jimmie qualified #1, he was 7th in Happy Hour and Sam Hornish will be in the garage by the time Jimmie would normally get to him. Sam Hornish is the only obstacle between Jimmie and title #4. When they qualified #1 yesterday, they basically told the rest of the garage to go home and don't come back as Sunday will be our day and we will dominate you people again. Jimmie will lead the most laps and I figure win by about 8 seconds. Forget destiny, they are just that damn good and probably the best driver, crew-chief, and team in the history of Nascar. Move over Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt, the best driver ever is in the 48 and there is no doubt about it. And remember in 2003 he finished second to Matt Kenseth by 90 point, and in 2004 again a second by 8 points to Kurt Busch. He has never finished lower than 5th in all his seasons as a Cup driver. Hendrick just tied Jimmie up and is looking to tie Chad Knaus up for a lifetime contract and what he's telling the world is that he wants to dominate and win 10 titles with the 48. If this combination stays together for another 10 years, I can see 10 total titles and 120 wins. I have grown to learn to appreciate the greatness of what the 48 is doing. I never fully appreciated Earnhardt as I was hating him so much, and was just too young to understand and get to see Richard Petty in his glory. I know I'm watching history and it's thoroughly enjoyable.

Sad to say but I agree with Oddball, It's just too much for the field to take on Jimmie right now barring a fluke incident like what happened to Kurt Busch in 04' and even he rebounded from that, there is no way I can see JJ not winning the Title tomorrow night.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived