2009 NASCAR Season

BrySmalls

JJ threw down the gaunlet and welcomed the 11 other challengers to up their game. This weeks race is at Kansas where JJ is quite formidable. It's the third race for the Sprint Cup and we'll be getting a better idea of whose a contender (JJ, Martin, JPM) and pretenders (Kahne, Gordon), but anything is possible.

Team Lowe's has gotten serious. Objects are closer than they appear in that rearview mirror Mark Martin. Is there a more under appreciated superstar than Jimmie Johnson in any sport? The guy is hands down the best driver in NASCAR yet he's almost treated like an afterthought by the media.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was never usually a fan of any driver Hendrick put out mostly because of Jeff Gordon's reign and I wasn't around when Geoff Bodine, Darrell Waltrip and Tim Richmond we're at Hendrick. But I've grown to appreciate what Jimmie has done in just 7 years. Most wins in the new Nascar era with 38, 17 more then Tony Stewart who has the second most, 3 Straight Championships very well could be 4.

He's 34 and I think when it's all said and done he might not have more wins but he will have more titles then Jeff Gordon.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Okay, not to kill anyone's "perfect" story, but does and did anyone really think anyone but Jimmie Johnson would win this championship. It's typical Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus, you put everyone to sleep as you prepare for the last 10 races where you slap them silly. Sorry, but Mark Martin will not win the championship. I'm not saying anyone here said that Mark would win, just all the media hype over him. The only ones that to me are mildly threatening to Jimmie's run for four are JPM because they've been running so well for so long, but I figure that will come to an end real soon. Jeff Gordon, because he's been running well and he runs well at a lot of the upcoming tracks, Tony Stewart he's been running well, but I think he'll start to fade with his team new to this kind of pressure. Mark Martin can run well, but I never have had the feeling that his team has what it takes. He reminds me of Kyle Busch, you know he can win and dominate, you know he has the equipment, but who on his team will drop the ball? That's what you're waiting for, and when it happens it's going to be big. I don't see Mark and that team winning this year, next year, I would say both him and Stewart and even JPM would be solid contenders to really challenge Jimmie. Right now it's just smoke and mirrors and it's all Jimmie.

Okay, not to kill anyone's "perfect" story, but does and did anyone really think anyone but Jimmie Johnson would win this championship. It's typical Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus, you put everyone to sleep as you prepare for the last 10 races where you slap them silly. Sorry, but Mark Martin will not win the championship. I'm not saying anyone here said that Mark would win, just all the media hype over him. The only ones that to me are mildly threatening to Jimmie's run for four are JPM because they've been running so well for so long, but I figure that will come to an end real soon. Jeff Gordon, because he's been running well and he runs well at a lot of the upcoming tracks, Tony Stewart he's been running well, but I think he'll start to fade with his team new to this kind of pressure. Mark Martin can run well, but I never have had the feeling that his team has what it takes. He reminds me of Kyle Busch, you know he can win and dominate, you know he has the equipment, but who on his team will drop the ball? That's what you're waiting for, and when it happens it's going to be big. I don't see Mark and that team winning this year, next year, I would say both him and Stewart and even JPM would be solid contenders to really challenge Jimmie. Right now it's just smoke and mirrors and it's all Jimmie.

Yes, I believe Smoke has a chance to knock off JJ as this years champion, but will be a daunting task since the #48 car pretty much owns the upcoming tracks. With eight races to go, the championship hasn't been handed out yet, but the real contenders and pretenders are beginning to show.

Sorry, but Mark Martin will not win the championship. I'm not saying anyone here said that Mark would win, just all the media hype over him.

That's just typical when it comes to Jimmie Johnson. If you believe the media, last season Jimmie didn't win the cup as much as Carl Edwards lost it. Now Mark Martin is the "feel good" story so the media are slobbering all over themselves about it. As I said in an earlier post, if there is a more under appreciated superstar in sports I'd like to know who it is. Johnson is hands down the best driver in the sport. Chad Knaus is easily the best crew chief out there. Mark Martin will hang tough for a while but eventually he's going to need to be something other than Mr. Nice guy to win a race and that's when the Lowe's team will leave him in the dust.

I like Mark Martin and I respect his accomplishments but there's never been a bigger wimp behind the wheel of a Cup car. If all it takes is a little rubbin' to win a race Mark Martin will happily settle for second and run clean. That's fine. I'm sure every driver in the garage respects the hell out of it but it's also the biggest reason why he's never won the cup. How many times just this season has he been in the lead late and you'll hear him say "gee I hope there isn't another caution." The reason he says that is because another caution means another restart. Another restart means the #5 car may actually have to race someone to keep the lead. Great guy. Great driver. Big wuss when it gets tight.

There. I said it. Flame away. :D

BB52Big.jpg

At this point, I want either Montoya, Newman, Biffle, or Edwards to win, and do it without winning a race in the Chase.

Yeah good luck with that one. What an odd sentiment coming from a guy who believes that a team, no matter what it's record, has to win a conference championship before they can play in the BCS title game. Let me guess, you have a problem with the chase format right?

BB52Big.jpg

At this point, I want either Montoya, Newman, Biffle, or Edwards to win, and do it without winning a race in the Chase.

Yeah good luck with that one. What an odd sentiment coming from a guy who believes that a team, no matter what it's record, has to win a conference championship before they can play in the BCS title game. Let me guess, you have a problem with the chase format right?
More like I want to see history.

LvZYtbZ.png

If Edwards can't get his :censored: together this weekend he won't win this title

It's going to come down to JJ, Martin, Montoya and Stewart I believe even before the Chase (Outside of Stewart) the first three really showed that there contenders and it will come down to possibly Homestead with all four having a legit shot.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Sorry, but Mark Martin will not win the championship. I'm not saying anyone here said that Mark would win, just all the media hype over him.

That's just typical when it comes to Jimmie Johnson. If you believe the media, last season Jimmie didn't win the cup as much as Carl Edwards lost it. Now Mark Martin is the "feel good" story so the media are slobbering all over themselves about it. As I said in an earlier post, if there is a more under appreciated superstar in sports I'd like to know who it is. Johnson is hands down the best driver in the sport. Chad Knaus is easily the best crew chief out there. Mark Martin will hang tough for a while but eventually he's going to need to be something other than Mr. Nice guy to win a race and that's when the Lowe's team will leave him in the dust.

I like Mark Martin and I respect his accomplishments but there's never been a bigger wimp behind the wheel of a Cup car. If all it takes is a little rubbin' to win a race Mark Martin will happily settle for second and run clean. That's fine. I'm sure every driver in the garage respects the hell out of it but it's also the biggest reason why he's never won the cup. How many times just this season has he been in the lead late and you'll hear him say "gee I hope there isn't another caution." The reason he says that is because another caution means another restart. Another restart means the #5 car may actually have to race someone to keep the lead. Great guy. Great driver. Big wuss when it gets tight.

Mark Martin is a "nice" guy, but if you know history you should know that because of a royal screw up by Robin Pemberton his crew chief by using an illegal carburetor spacer costing 46 points in the standings and Mark lost by 26 points. That was not and is not Mark's fault, that is solely the fault of Robin Pemberton. So yes Mark is a nice guy and can win a championship. If rubbin and wrecking people was how you determined those who would win championships, then Robby Gordon would be a 10 time champion. If Mark can live with himself and the way he races, that's all that matters to me. It's the same way I feel about Kyle Busch or Dale Earnhardt. You race people the way you want to be raced. There are a lot of guys who haven't won a championship and have the talent to, but for whatever reason they never have or did. Drivers such as Bill Elliott, Dale Jarrett, and Bobby Labonte all won championships but aren't drivers who would bump someone out of the way to win a race. So bumping someone out of the way isn't how you categorize someone as championship material or a winner.

Mark Martin is a "nice" guy, but if you know history you should know that because of a royal screw up by Robin Pemberton his crew chief by using an illegal carburetor spacer costing 46 points in the standings and Mark lost by 26 points. That was not and is not Mark's fault, that is solely the fault of Robin Pemberton. So yes Mark is a nice guy and can win a championship. If rubbin and wrecking people was how you determined those who would win championships, then Robby Gordon would be a 10 time champion. If Mark can live with himself and the way he races, that's all that matters to me. It's the same way I feel about Kyle Busch or Dale Earnhardt. You race people the way you want to be raced. There are a lot of guys who haven't won a championship and have the talent to, but for whatever reason they never have or did. Drivers such as Bill Elliott, Dale Jarrett, and Bobby Labonte all won championships but aren't drivers who would bump someone out of the way to win a race. So bumping someone out of the way isn't how you categorize someone as championship material or a winner.

I wasn't saying he should bump people or wreck them. What I am saying is he doesn't like it when he has to race someone hard for an extended amount of time. He doesn't take chances. There's a difference between that and putting someone in the wall.

BB52Big.jpg

JJ threw down the gaunlet and welcomed the 11 other challengers to up their game. This weeks race is at Kansas where JJ is quite formidable. It's the third race for the Sprint Cup and we'll be getting a better idea of whose a contender (JJ, Martin, JPM) and pretenders (Kahne, Gordon), but anything is possible.

Team Lowe's has gotten serious. Objects are closer than they appear in that rearview mirror Mark Martin. Is there a more under appreciated superstar than Jimmie Johnson in any sport? The guy is hands down the best driver in NASCAR yet he's almost treated like an afterthought by the media.

From earlier this week.

Hendrick cars pass post-race inspection by thousands of an inch

The Hendrick Motorsports teammates were warned by NASCAR that their cars' measurement tolerances were off ? reportedly by a fraction of an inch. Although both cars passed inspection after the Dover race, they were rechecked this week at NASCAR's research and development center in Concord, N.C.

"There was no room to breathe," Sprint Cup director John Darby said. "Both cars passed inspection, or we would be having a whole different conversation with this."

Will Chad find a way to get suspended again?

Today in Happy Hour practice the 5 fastest were (in order):

#48-Johnson 172.983

#5-Martin 172.855

#17-Kenseth 172.205

#42-Montoya 172.018

#33-Bowyer 171.761

From earlier this week.

The Hendrick Motorsports teammates were warned by NASCAR that their cars' measurement tolerances were off ? reportedly by a fraction of an inch. Although both cars passed inspection after the Dover race, they were rechecked this week at NASCAR's research and development center in Concord, N.C.

"There was no room to breathe," Sprint Cup director John Darby said. "Both cars passed inspection, or we would be having a whole different conversation with this."

#48-Johnson 172.983

#5-Martin 172.855

#17-Kenseth 172.205

#42-Montoya 172.018

#33-Bowyer 171.761

How about Alan Gustafson? You act like the 5 and the 48 are the only cars who do this. They were the only cars that got set aside for extra inspection after Dover. The 48 won the race and the 5 was the "random" car chosen for inspection. It's standard NASCAR practice. My guess is every car in the top 20 in points would have had the same result. And, before we break out the hangman's noose it should be pointed out that they were in fact legal. Let's stop acting as if they were busted cheating but got away with it.

BB52Big.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From earlier this week.

#48-Johnson 172.983

#5-Martin 172.855

#17-Kenseth 172.205

#42-Montoya 172.018

#33-Bowyer 171.761

How about Alan Gustafson? You act like the 5 and the 48 are the only cars who do this. They were the only cars that got set aside for extra inspection after Dover. The 48 won the race and the 5 was the "random" car chosen for inspection. It's standard NASCAR practice. My guess is every car in the top 20 in points would have had the same result. And, before we break out the hangman's noose it should be pointed out that they were in fact legal. Let's stop acting as if they were busted cheating but got away with it.

Three in a row:

NASCAR impounds 5 and 48 again

Honestly, after the #9 publicly said what we knew about debris cautions, there may not be much between NASCAR and Jim Crockett Promotions.

Kanhe: "We worked hard all day, got ourselves in a good position," Kahne explained. "I think it was going to be a good points day, and NASCAR threw a debris caution for no debris, which caused Kurt Busch to hit the wall, which caused me to go to the grass and Greg Biffle. And from there, that caused the whole next wreck on the front stretch. It's disappointing that we had a bad race because of a caution to put a show on for the fans. That's a good part of the sport, we have to keep the fans excited, but sometimes it ruins people's days, and today it was our day."

Personally, I am an open wheel (F1) guy and loves to see JPM getting it right after having RCR engines after crappy Dodge engines. Now, the Talladega change is really going to suck as we will now have slower care with the "then faster" cars. Just a longer train.

I'm sorry to chime in so late but really outside of Dale Jr, the media hasn't shut up about Jimmie since around 2004. Now obviously when you win 3 championships in a row that's going to happen, but really he's the only guy the racing media has talked about for years outside of his teammate

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

From earlier this week.

#48-Johnson 172.983

#5-Martin 172.855

#17-Kenseth 172.205

#42-Montoya 172.018

#33-Bowyer 171.761

Three in a row:

NASCAR impounds 5 and 48 again

Honestly, after the #9 publicly said what we knew about debris cautions, there may not be much between NASCAR and Jim Crockett Promotions.

Kanhe: "We worked hard all day, got ourselves in a good position," Kahne explained. "I think it was going to be a good points day, and NASCAR threw a debris caution for no debris, which caused Kurt Busch to hit the wall, which caused me to go to the grass and Greg Biffle. And from there, that caused the whole next wreck on the front stretch. It's disappointing that we had a bad race because of a caution to put a show on for the fans. That's a good part of the sport, we have to keep the fans excited, but sometimes it ruins people's days, and today it was our day."

Personally, I am an open wheel (F1) guy and loves to see JPM getting it right after having RCR engines after crappy Dodge engines. Now, the Talladega change is really going to suck as we will now have slower care with the "then faster" cars. Just a longer train.

There was debris on the track, if I remember correctly, over the official's radio, it was turn two. So let me get this straight, Nascar got blasted a couple years ago when they didn't throw a caution in Dover and there was oil on the track and now everyone blasts them because they throw a flag when there's something on the track. If you're going to blast anyone, blast ABC/ESPN which didn't show the debris. It's not Nascar's job to show you the debris, it's there job to clean it up and get it off. The only person whining about the caution happens to be pretty boy Kahne. But your logic is pretty flawed. The flag did NOT cause Kurt Busch to hit the wall, Kurt Busch hit the wall himself. Kurt Busch has control of his car and the fact of the matter, that he hit the wall and then hit you is NOT Nascar's fault. The fact that Mr. Kahne is entering into Dale Jr. territory as the most over-publicized average driver. Really what have you done pretty boy? Don't blame Nascar for your failings.

Archived