2009 NASCAR Season

BrySmalls

All I ever see out of Jr. is missing the cut for the race for the cup, and blaming others for his losing, and yet he still has millions of fans, if that does not define overrated I dont know what does.

Then you obviously don't know what defines overrated. The fact that dude is popular doesn't speak to any perceived level of skill. Overexposed, perhaps, but certainly not overrated. Who says that Dale, Jr. is one of the elite drivers? I don't think anyone I know or have ever talked to puts Dale, Jr. in the elite level. How can he be overrated when people don't think he's that damn great to begin with?

Just because someone is popular doesn't mean that everyone thinks he's the best...they just like the guy. Hell, I like the guy. If I drank beer, he'd be the first driver I'd like to throw back a couple with and just shoot the breeze, but I don't put him among the 12 best in the biz, and most others don't, so why should we expect him to be in the Chase...even if his name is Earnhardt and even if he drives a Hendrick whip.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's like when Bill Elliott won Most Popular Driver for like a decade in a row. He wasn't the best driver (I guess that's a bit of underrating since he does have a Cup Championship under his belt), but he was popular as hell. If you're popular, you're popular.

All I ever see out of Jr. is missing the cut for the race for the cup, and blaming others for his losing, and yet he still has millions of fans, if that does not define overrated I dont know what does.

Sounds a lot like The Mets and their fans.

BB52Big.jpg

Dale Earnhardt Jr. is not overrated. A couple things you have to realize as far as Jr. goes, #1) his popularity makes him news one way or the other, there's no way around it. I have yet to hear anyone who knows anything about racing say that Jr is the best and that his daddy, Jeff Gordon, or Michael Shumacher wouldn't be him in a race. If you hear someone say that, then more than likely they are wearing Jr gear, you're at a race, and they are full-on drunk. #2) If you put Jr back 10-20 years ago he's one of the top 10 drivers. Is he now? Maybe, depends on the day. Mark Martin said it last night about the current car and it fits in with Jr perfectly. He said that you shouldn't touch the current car as the car isn't the problem, the problem is that instead of have 5 drivers who could win, you have 20 drivers. That fits the problem of Jr, it's not that he's a bad driver, it's that he may be off slightly, but instead of competing to beat 5 or 6 for a win and the championship, he is battling 20-25 drivers week in and week out. Is he overrated? No. Is he over-hyped and way too large of expectations heaped on him? Yes. And as far as Hendrick going outside of the organization for a crew chief, I didn't say they would, I said they should. Pay the big money and bring in Zippy.

As far as hearing people whine about Reutimann's win and Speed talking about the 600. First of all, I have not heard one person say anything bad about Reutimann's win, so I have no clue where that's coming from. I haven't heard anyone on Speed say anything except for the obvious of it was a bad weather weekend and they did what they could to get the race in. I am questioning Steve Byrnes and Larry McReynolds bringing up the comment that Reutimann did not back into the win and that some people are saying he did. I've yet to hear anyone say that he did. Now if it was some ignorant fan, well, they're ignorant and you ignore them. As far as Nascar not wanting Reutimann to win, that's crap. That's got to be the biggest load of crap well, since the crap about some driver gets the call to win a race. Or even better the crap about how in which ever stick and ball sport you're watching that the league wants X and Y team to play for the championship and they don't want teams A and B playing. Sure ratings are great, but sports isn't about ratings. If you want ratings watch American Idol or Dancing with the Stars, but sports is about someone winning on the field or track and no judges saying that this person/team is better than that person/team. Don't give me the crap about how Nascar didn't want Reutimann to win, because that's crap. Why? If you want to use the lame excuse about ratings, well, they got screwed with the rain delay and then postponing it until Monday. So what other false accusation do you have why they wouldn't Reutimann to win? First of all, if you think that, then you obviously don't know or haven't been following Nascar. Everyone on the circuit knew Reutimann was going to win a race, and it was just matter of when. Reutimann is on the rise and Nascar knows that and welcomes that. It makes more intriguing story lines when you have a new winner.

As far as being part of a rain delayed or postponed race, it sucks. I know. I had tickets to last year's Nationwide race that got postponed, I know what it's like to sit and wait for the rain to stop and it doesn't. It sucks for everyone. We go to the race to see a race, and when it gets postponed, it sucks. I know what it's like lose the opportunity to see a race because it's postponed and you can't go. Yet, what are you going to do. Nascar can't control the weather and it's what the 4th 600 that's been rain-shortened and the first that's been moved to Memorial Day. It's life and sometimes life just plain sucks.

As far as hearing people whine about Reutimann's win and Speed talking about the 600. First of all, I have not heard one person say anything bad about Reutimann's win, so I have no clue where that's coming from.

I was referring to the fans on NASCAR radio. Every other call was "we need to change the rules so this doesn't happen again."

BB52Big.jpg

As far as hearing people whine about Reutimann's win and Speed talking about the 600. First of all, I have not heard one person say anything bad about Reutimann's win, so I have no clue where that's coming from.

I was referring to the fans on NASCAR radio. Every other call was "we need to change the rules so this doesn't happen again."

Well you and I all know who those fans are. They are Jr fans who have no clue of what racing is. You know like the idiot who posted on another board I visit who said race fans who attend races cheer drivers getting in wrecks because they like the adrenaline of seeing a driver wreck and get out. I'm sorry, but that's not a race fan. That's a sick individual who needs a reality check. I don't know about anyone else, but when I see a wreck, I do a silent prayer that the driver is okay. Even when I see a wreck, I am saddened somewhat because I want to see all 43 drivers compete for a win even though I know that not all of them will have the chance. To me it sucks when a driver goes out for whatever reason.

Smoke's on top of the Sprint Cup standings, nice work...thus far. I really expected him to "struggle" with his new team (and while running a racing organization).

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Smoke's on top of the Sprint Cup standings, nice work...thus far. I really expected him to "struggle" with his new team (and while running a racing organization).

Rocketman is running really well too. Must be the Hendrick parts they have in their cars.

Rocketman is running really well too. Must be the Hendrick parts they have in their cars.

Pardon my ignorance, but Ryan Newman's nickname is Rocketman? Sorry, he's not cool enough to have a nickname...lol. :P

Pardon my ignorance, but Ryan Newman's nickname is Rocketman? Sorry, he's not cool enough to have a nickname...lol. :P

Not to mention that Rocketman isn't exactly a cool nickname.

BB52Big.jpg

Not to mention that Rocketman isn't exactly a cool nickname.

I've read somewhere it's shortened to "The Rocket".

Take these FWTW:

http://thirdturn.wikia.com/wiki/NASCAR_Nicknames

Newman has been Rocketman for quite a few years now, since he always seemed to wind up on the pole a few years back.

W(ho)TF calls Joey Logano "Sliced Bread"? I understand what it's in reference to, the greatest thing since...but really? Never heard that one before.

The list is missing "Front Row" Joe Nemechek

I haven't looked at the list, but does it have Danica Patrick listed as "Whining _itch"? "Sliced Bread" was used all last year. Newman not cool enough to have a nickname? Wrong. Newman is awesome. I will have to say that Nemechek's nickname needs to be adjusted to "Back Row" Joe. I love Joe, but if he ends up on the front row this year, I expect to see him banned for doing something majorly illegal to the car. *lol*

I haven't looked at the list, but does it have Danica Patrick listed as "Whining _itch"? "Sliced Bread" was used all last year. Newman not cool enough to have a nickname? Wrong. Newman is awesome. I will have to say that Nemechek's nickname needs to be adjusted to "Back Row" Joe. I love Joe, but if he ends up on the front row this year, I expect to see him banned for doing something majorly illegal to the car. *lol*

You may not like her but you might as well get used to her. She's coming to NASCAR next year.

BB52Big.jpg

You may not like her but you might as well get used to her. She's coming to NASCAR next year.

She has a better chance of being one of the US F1 drivers next season. Danica in Nascar doesn't make sense. She can thrive in Indy Car as one of the main attractions, in Nascar she'd have to compete for stardom with Junior and Jeff Gordon, Johnson, Stewart, etc. She IS the face of Indy Car.

My interest in the Sprint Series wanes a bit now.

No more races on Fox. They are the most entertaining race-day network, by far.....

They just need to get rid of that "Digger and Friends" :censored: ...

I agree, Focx's broadcasts are very entertaining. Mike Joy is very intelligent when it comes to anything about cars, and everybody seems to work well together. The races on TNT just seem to be a way to get the old NBC crew back in NASCAR. ESPN/ABC is pretty average. I used to like Jerry Punch, but it seems he gets dumber and dumber every race.

She has a better chance of being one of the US F1 drivers next season. Danica in Nascar doesn't make sense. She can thrive in Indy Car as one of the main attractions, in Nascar she'd have to compete for stardom with Junior and Jeff Gordon, Johnson, Stewart, etc. She IS the face of Indy Car.

It makes perfect sense. She'd be an even bigger attraction in NASCAR. Bigger stage, more coverage, better sponsorship possibilities. Not to mention, NASCAR could really use the boost Danica would provide. Don't forget that over 40% of NASCAR fans are women. I think a sizable portion of that 40% might get on board with Danica. You think there might be a sponsor or two out there that might find that interesting?

Yes Danica is the face of Indy Car but that's a bit of a dubious distinction. It's like being the face of AA baseball. I'm not knocking open wheel or The IRL but let's face it, in the US, NASCAR is the big dog when it comes to racing. Danica is just what an ailing NASCAR needs right now.

BB52Big.jpg

My interest in the Sprint Series wanes a bit now.

No more races on Fox. They are the most entertaining race-day network, by far.....

They just need to get rid of that "Digger and Friends" :censored: ...

I agree, Focx's broadcasts are very entertaining. Mike Joy is very intelligent when it comes to anything about cars, and everybody seems to work well together. The races on TNT just seem to be a way to get the old NBC crew back in NASCAR. ESPN/ABC is pretty average. I used to like Jerry Punch, but it seems he gets dumber and dumber every race.

Good luck to all of you watching Sunday's race on TNT. I'm delaying their television coverage at least one more week as I'll be attending the race with my father and brother :D. Let's hope it doesn't rain!

Archived