2009 NASCAR Season

BrySmalls

It's awful to see that people were hurt in this thing, but hopefully they will all be ok.

With that said...wow, that was a fantastically wild crash. These Superspeedway races are always wildly entertaining.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall yes the restrictor plates makes the races closer more exciting and yes there will be huge wrecks but these plates are meant to restrict the speed of these beasts in 1987 when a very similar wreck happened with Bobby Allison at that time the cars we're going 200+ MPH and he went flying into the fence as well, all I can say is that the catch fence did it's job and it saved a many lives.

But will the race be remembered for the great race Keselowski drove all day he was competitive so this wasn't lucky or will it be remembered for the bad thing Edwards hurled up into the fence which most things these days are remembered for the horrifying events I'm giving this one to Edwards sadly.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, Joe Nemechek is out of his own car... interesting. I'm not saying it's Joe, I think Joe might be putting Scott Speed in the car because he needs sponsorship and Speed missed the race and has a big time sponsor and runs a Toyota. Of course Jeremy Mayfield made the race last week and missed this week and the article mentions, that the driver wasn't competing this week. Based on that it leaves, Mike Bliss, Tony Raines, and Jeremy Mayfield. I could be wrong on that, but those were the ones who raced last week, of course it doesn't mean it was someone who drove last week and if you go to the non-qualifiers that would include Todd Bodine and Trevor Boys.

Obviously, you didn't read what the story said. It said that it was a driver who wasn't driving in the Darlington race, not a driver who qualified. So seeing that there are only two drivers who didn't qualify Sterling Marlin and Scott Speed. I don't know if the story is true or not, but if it is, then I presume speculation will be Scott Speed because he's the only one who didn't qualify and was in last week's race.

Scott Speed will be in the car qualified by "Front Row" Joe Nemecheck (according to Wendy Venturini on "Speed") to start tonight, but it was driver who was at Richmond. You are correct in noting that. Both Speed and Joe ran last Saturday night. So we may have to exclude them for the next 5 minutes.

Though watching Speed (sound turned off), I think either Elliott Sadler or Jamie MAC Murray will have to be replaced after drinking too much Coke Zero. *LOL* Oh and I edited what I said after, I saw Wendy's report, so I formally apologize to Scott Speed and the Scott Speed fans out there... are there any? *lol*

It is somewhat a double standard verses the Manny news this week, especially since it a slow sports Saturday, but nobosy is covering this press conference (Speed or ESPNews)? If a press conference is not on TV or blogged, does it occur?

Jayski says it's Jeremy Mayfield who's been suspended, along with a few crew members(Other teams). Leaves me to believe someone was spiking his All-Sport sports drink.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

It is somewhat a double standard verses the Manny news this week, especially since it a slow sports Saturday, but nobosy is covering this press conference (Speed or ESPNews)? If a press conference is not on TV or blogged, does it occur?

What double standard?

Manny Ramirez is a HUGE star in a HUGE sport. Marginal players getting popped in baseball would get more coverage than some driver that's lucky to have a ride at the Sprint Cup level.

It wasn't any of the NASCAR star personalities, and when does any NASCAR happening get the kind of coverage that Manny's suspension is getting?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

What double standard?

Manny Ramirez is a HUGE star in a HUGE sport. Marginal players getting popped in baseball would get more coverage than some driver that's lucky to have a ride at the Sprint Cup level.

It wasn't any of the NASCAR star personalities, and when does any NASCAR happening get the kind of coverage that Manny's suspension is getting?

I am calling double standard based on all of the coverage. After it was reported, there was no coverage of the press conference and Speed waits a good 10 minutes to report the story, while they are alreadt at teh track for this presser. What else is occuring today? For ESPN, what else did they have live?

1-Tiger already finished his round at The Players the field fell back into him.

2-Regular season baseball with no news.

3-Indy 500 Pole Day, which is now irrevalent in itself since it is on Versus since there were a few DQ's that also went unmentioned.

4-NBA Playoff which just started in Dallas.

An indefinite suspension of a Cup driver should have been bigger news that it appears to have been. Especially since there was some suspense on who it was before the announcement.

What double standard?

So, what would be the advantage of a NASCAR driver taking "drugs" anyways?

I saw, I came, I left.

What double standard?

Well, Beta blockers, have been used by PGA golfers and Olympic athletes like archers, to reduce the affect of adrenaline your body produces on one's heart. The thought is it can keep you calmer. They are not illegal as many with cardiac conditions may take them.

I could be wrong on that, but those were the ones who raced last week, of course it doesn't mean it was someone who drove last week and if you go to the non-qualifiers that would include Todd Bodine and Trevor Boys.

Trevor Boys?! I haven't heard that name in years! I had no idea he was back into racing.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

What double standard?

Well, Beta blockers, have been used by PGA golfers and Olympic athletes like archers, to reduce the affect of adrenaline your body produces on one's heart. The thought is it can keep you calmer. They are not illegal as many with cardiac conditions may take them.

Also, Kevin Grubb, the driver whow as found dead this past week, failed to give a drug test after a wreck, he could have had anything in his system. A driver having any type of drug in his system might not be an advantage to the driver, but it could be a danger to all the other drivers if it is a hindrance to his driving abilities.

No better man to win than Mark Martin.

Also- four Hendrick cars in the top 7, one of those being Brad Keselowski. Impressive.

Props to the Lowe's 48 team. Halfway through that race who would have bet on JJ coming in second? Chad Knaus is a f-ing wizard on that box.

BB52Big.jpg

I'd also like to point out that the Stewart-Haas team has been clicking over the last couple of races. Granted neither Steward or Newman have won a race yet but either one or the other or both have been in the Top 5 and Top 10 as of late.

I totally get why people love Dale Earndhardt Jr., because of quotes like this:

Q:IN REGARDS TO THE DRUG TESTING POLICY, WOULD IT MAKE IT EASIER FOR YOU GUYS IF THEY GAVE YOU A SPECIFIC LIST OF THINGS YOU NEED TO LOOK OUT FOR?

A: ?So we know what drugs we can take and what drugs we can?t. That don?t make no damn sense. Just don?t take drugs. Don?t do anything stupid and you won?t get caught. That?s ridiculous. I just think that nobody deserves anything, no lists, nothing. Don?t do drugs, don?t do stupid stuff. The policy is a rule and don?t violate it and that?s that. Let?s not point any fingers at Jeremy (Mayfield). Whatever he says happened they?ll figure it out. The truth will be known by the people who need to know it. We don?t need to know it. It?s none of our business. That?s the problem with everybody is they?ve got to know everything. Everybody wants to know what the hell Jeremy did. That?s his business and NASCAR?s business and they?ll handle it. Don?t take drugs. It?s stupid to do anyways. Regardless if you drive race cars or not, it?s a dumb idea. Don?t be ignorant.?

Awesome. Still not gonna cheer for the 88 if I ever watch Sprint Cup.

I'd also like to point out that the Stewart-Haas team has been clicking over the last couple of races. Granted neither Steward or Newman have won a race yet but either one or the other or both have been in the Top 5 and Top 10 as of late.

Remember that Alan Kulwicki only one 2 races in his championship year. Smoke has good so far; but I am a mark for Montoya.

Archived