2009 NASCAR Season

BrySmalls

It's probably been said before...but after watching Daytona and the excitement that its track brings, watching the California race is such a downer. Idk what it is about the track, but it's just boring.

I'm still watching it because nothing else is on. :P

I'm back and forth between this and watching Duke/Wake Forest on FSN, and I agree with you, this race has been awfully boring, and my favorite driver (Gordon) is even winning it and I can barely bring myself to keep watching it. They run here twice a year?

They need to move one of these races...to Kentucky!

Is that even possible? Does SMI own California too?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's probably been said before...but after watching Daytona and the excitement that its track brings, watching the California race is such a downer. Idk what it is about the track, but it's just boring.

I'm still watching it because nothing else is on. :P

I'm back and forth between this and watching Duke/Wake Forest on FSN, and I agree with you, this race has been awfully boring, and my favorite driver (Gordon) is even winning it and I can barely bring myself to keep watching it. They run here twice a year?

They need to move one of these races...to Kentucky!

Is that even possible? Does SMI own California too?

No, California(or more technically the Auto Club Speedway) is owned by ISC. If Kentucky were to get a race it would be at the expense of either New Hampshire or Infineon. Then again, ISC could add banking to California to make it better.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I understand California is west coast, but the race didn't start til after 6 EST! Jesus! What's with NASCAR making the start of every race at dusk? Can't we move them up, cut the 6 hour prerace rambling and start coverage at noon?

i was thinking the same thing! i remember back when we'd rush home from church at 12:30 just to catch the green flag at most races. that's the way it should be. now we're lucky if the east coast races end before 6 or 7 pm, and the west coast ones before 10.

I understand California is west coast, but the race didn't start til after 6 EST! Jesus! What's with NASCAR making the start of every race at dusk? Can't we move them up, cut the 6 hour prerace rambling and start coverage at noon?

i was thinking the same thing! i remember back when we'd rush home from church at 12:30 just to catch the green flag at most races. that's the way it should be. now we're lucky if the east coast races end before 6 or 7 pm, and the west coast ones before 10.

I had time to go to an afternoon hockey game, go out to dinner, come home, and still watch 45 minutes or prerace! I'm not really complaining since I got to see the whole thing when I thought I would miss it all, but come on! 10:30 by the time the race is over?! Uncalled for.

That's a FOX call not a NASCAR call. My guess is FOX wants to get the races into prime time because they can charge higher rates for the ads than they can for Sunday afternoons. NASCAR is in no position to start dictating terms to FOX. I believe the TV deal is up this year. Dropping ratings, a bad economy, and a sport bitching about start times is not a good combination right now. NASCAR will do what FOX wants.

BB52Big.jpg

I believe Kasey Kahne has had enough excitement for one day in the last few laps.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Weird race. I think the record of 11 cautions set last year is going to fall this year. After what happened to Kenseth, I'll be interested to see if the other Roush cars hold up for the entire race.

I keep forgetting that the Cat car is actually with a good team now, and am therefore surprised to see it up front.

Also...so that's what happens when a tire blows. Awesome.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That was such a great race today entertaining from start to finish sucks to see that Bowyer or Burton couldn't win, but now it's on to the Fastest Track on the Circuit Hotlanta.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Trying to understand all these people who whine about horrible racing at California, I watched Vegas who people keep saying deserves two dates. So during the Nationwide race, I watch 12 cautions for cars wrecking out of turn 4. On Sunday there were 11 cautions, some for blown engines, some for cars wrecking out of turn 2. Yet, people consider it more entertaining? So what I'm getting from people is that they like bunched up close racing due to restarts. Now wait a minute, are these not the same people who whine and cry when a caution is thrown and no one can see debris? So you like watching cars blow up and wrecking, yet you hate watching actual racing that's decided on the track. You would rather see caution flags bunch up the field? So now I understand what people actually consider good racing. *rolls eyes*

Trying to understand all these people who whine about horrible racing at California, I watched Vegas who people keep saying deserves two dates. So during the Nationwide race, I watch 12 cautions for cars wrecking out of turn 4. On Sunday there were 11 cautions, some for blown engines, some for cars wrecking out of turn 2. Yet, people consider it more entertaining? So what I'm getting from people is that they like bunched up close racing due to restarts. Now wait a minute, are these not the same people who whine and cry when a caution is thrown and no one can see debris? So you like watching cars blow up and wrecking, yet you hate watching actual racing that's decided on the track. You would rather see caution flags bunch up the field? So now I understand what people actually consider good racing. *rolls eyes*

It's not as big of a track and there's banking I'm sure if Banking was added to Fontana it would be more entertaining, Homestead was the same thing until they added banking there. Today kids and most people have short attention spans and want to see racing not..... Car 1.................................Car 2....................................Car 3............Car 4..............................Car 5, Car 6, Car 7 and so on.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I didn't find the Vegas Cup race all that entertaining until the end when the RCR cars and the 18 were battling it out for a little bit. There were way too many cautions.

I wonder if some of the problems in the Nationwide race may have been due to the harder right front tire Goodyear delivered for that race. It didn't wear as quickly and it may have gotten better grip than the drivers were used to. I wonder if that right front tire didn't lead drivers to believe the car was a little better in the turns than it actually was. Maybe that's why we saw so many of the cars spinning out of the turn. Just a theory.

BB52Big.jpg

exciting finish but dayum only 13/14 cars finished on the lead lap?

Yeah Marcos Ambrose's tire screwed everyone up.

Yup. Once that weird thing with the yellow happened it was going to be pretty much impossible to get everyone back into the race.

How about Kurt Busch so far this season? I think he may be a legitimate title contender. That 2 car is running great.

BB52Big.jpg

What'd Ambrose do? I only caugth the last 30 laps?

A guy from his pit crew chased a wayward tire out into the grass area by the track causing a caution flag. It was a complete head up his ass move on the part of the crew guy.

BB52Big.jpg

What'd Ambrose do? I only caugth the last 30 laps?

A guy from his pit crew chased a wayward tire out into the grass area by the track causing a caution flag. It was a complete head up his ass move on the part of the crew guy.

Is Ambrose a rookie this year?

Archived