CONCEPT81: The New Orleans Jesters

bigdub81

I put this concept off because I'm really not that into soccer but I felt obligated being an artist from the city that they represent. Soccer to my knowledge still isn't that big down here but the logo that they came up with as posted on a board in 'Sporst Logos' is complete garbage! Nothing about the logo other than the fluer de lis and the colors green and purple say 'New Orleans' to me and even that much IMO isn't enough.

With my logo I kept the idea of the FDL and used the top part as the starting point of the jester hat and the bottom as the bib that a jester would wear around his neck. I originally had the soccer ball behind the banner but it didn't show to well so I replaced it with a crescent (crescent city) which really doesn't imply much other than a refrence. I made the bells at each point of the hat into the soccer balls with transparent crescent shines to give off a metal look.

I used a scroll look banner for that king's court/jester type of feel that such a banner would have been commonplace, and yes I did base it off of the 2007 NBA All-Star logo's banner. The font has curves and points that mimic the feel of the French Quarter's iron lace and the overall style of the logo. Obviously purple, green and vegas gold for the colors and I don't say this about most of my work but this one is better than what they went with. Still I like always respect your C&C so let me hear it! Thanks!

ConceptLogo-NewOrleansJestersResize.png

I think you've got a great start here. Really, my only gripe is that the soccer balls might be a little too detailed. I'd lose the lines in between the pentagons on the soccer balls...it should still be recognizable for what it is. I'm not sure I like the squished "new orleans" either. Nice job overall...are you gonna make kits to go with?

I think you've got a great start here. Really, my only gripe is that the soccer balls might be a little too detailed. I'd lose the lines in between the pentagons on the soccer balls...it should still be recognizable for what it is. I'm not sure I like the squished "new orleans" either. Nice job overall...are you gonna make kits to go with?

Honestly it would be my first soccer concept. I could give it a try but I would have to get an idea of how soccer uniforms look other than just shorts and a collar/non-collar shirt/jersey. I'd give it a shot though. Give me the specifics if you don't mind!

Honestly it would be my first soccer concept. I could give it a try but I would have to get an idea of how soccer uniforms look other than just shorts and a collar/non-collar shirt/jersey. I'd give it a shot though. Give me the specifics if you don't mind!

Haha, you're asking the wrong guy. I like soccer, but I don't know a whole lot about uniform specifics. I'd look through the concepts thread for ideas, or check out a website that sells soccer jerseys. I think you could do something unique with this concept using ghost striping/imagery.

Soccer-jersey-22263516034.jpg

For reference, this is what I mean by ghost striping.

Good call on the lines Shumway! I took them off and the design does look better without them. Here is the updated version and a few others against purple, gold and green backgrounds. And the 'squished' New Orleans...I wound up creating the design from my sketch and then realized once I finished that it had nowhere for me to put New Orleans in it without going outside of the FDL. I didn't want to create a second banner so I managed to stay within the confines of the logo by tweaking the exsisting banner to fit it.

Logo-NewOrleansJestersUpdated.png

Logo-NewOrleansJestersPurple.png

Logo-NewOrleansJestersGold.png

Logo-NewOrleansJestersGreen.png

I don't know if you meant to do this, but I swear I see a jester wearing a hat instead of a FDL... but great update even if you didn't mean to do that...

I did indeed. And I'm glad that you mentioned that because you have proven my design to be seen as it was intended to be. The shape of the FDL is supposed to mimic that of the FDL since they are both similar.

The only thing I'd like to see is more green...like some green accents on the wordmark or something? Maybe not though...it does look great currently.

I thought about that when I finished it and looked it over. I added a green dropshadow to "Jesters" but it didn't look right to me so I ditched it. That's why I made the two outside parts of the hat/fdl green.

The only thing I'd like to see is more green...like some green accents on the wordmark or something? Maybe not though...it does look great currently.

I thought about that when I finished it and looked it over. I added a green dropshadow to "Jesters" but it didn't look right to me so I ditched it. That's why I made the two outside parts of the hat/fdl green.

Well, if the primary jersey was green, the logo would still stand out. By the way, I hope to see uniforms.

It's not unusual for there to several threads with the same subject matter when it comes to concepts. I don't think for a second BigDub took any inspiration from my design. If anything, he blew mine out of the water. Keep in mind there are only so many things you can do with the city and nickname involved here. Again, I think he executed his idea much better than I did mine.

Are you aware of this thread.

Two very similar designs there. I'm not sayin you ripped off logoman, just that that look a lot alike.

It's not unusual for there to several threads with the same subject matter when it comes to concepts. I don't think for a second BigDub took any inspiration from my design. If anything, he blew mine out of the water. Keep in mind there are only so many things you can do with the city and nickname involved here. Again, I think he executed his idea much better than I did mine.

I printed logoman's design and studied it a bit. I liked that in a way it was abstract and not perfect which is kinda' like how New Orleans is anyway. I was going to leave it be when I started sketching because I didn't think that I could improve on the design although I had some differrent ideas like making the bells of the jester hat resemble soccer balls. I always run into a problem of trying to throw anything that slightly resembles something "New Orleans" into a concept dedicated to my city. Usually my designs become too cluttered and I wind up not liking them. Even with this logo I thought it didn't have enough and I basically had to shut my computer down so I wouldn't add stuff to it. I thought that logoman's concept did a great job with the colors and the overall aspect but I felt it would be similar to something I would do by placing a soccer ball at the bottom, using a fancy circus/westerm type font, and of course the jester hat.

I wanted to fashion a logo that could incorporate all of these aspects without everything running into one another. I stared sketching a fleur de lis next to the design and noticed damn! the jester had looks just like the top of the fleur de lis! I drew bells on the tips of the fdl and it was on from there!

Archived