Mets get rid of awesome citifield patch?

Carter23

Classy logo, but horribly goofy execution to put it opposite the Pizza Patch. Major flaw. If not for the mismatched patches, I'd have no trouble with the logo being on the hat all year (at home, anyway).

However, I had a scary thought about the jerseys this year, made even scarier with the double-patch business.

For whatever reason, at some point in the future, the Mets are going to have to throw back to this season. Pennant or series, milestone, prefect game or similar achievement, a player's farewell tour (like Biggio's with the Astros, I believe), or (if they dump the black in 2010) a "last year of the black" throwback, 10 or 20 years later...maybe even a salute to the park's opening series in the 10th/20th/25th season. But I fear that for some reason, we may wind up seeing Mets' 2009 throwbacks in the future.

Which means that the Pizza Patch, and now its classy but non-matching dome-top counterpart, may haunt us again in the future beyond the pictures in the archives. And that IS truly scary.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Classy logo, but horribly goofy execution to put it opposite the Pizza Patch. Major flaw. If not for the mismatched patches, I'd have no trouble with the logo being on the hat all year (at home, anyway).

However, I had a scary thought about the jerseys this year, made even scarier with the double-patch business.

For whatever reason, at some point in the future, the Mets are going to have to throw back to this season. Pennant or series, milestone, prefect game or similar achievement, a player's farewell tour (like Biggio's with the Astros, I believe), or (if they dump the black in 2010) a "last year of the black" throwback, 10 or 20 years later...maybe even a salute to the park's opening series in the 10th/20th/25th season. But I fear that for some reason, we may wind up seeing Mets' 2009 throwbacks in the future.

Which means that the Pizza Patch, and now its classy but non-matching dome-top counterpart, may haunt us again in the future beyond the pictures in the archives. And that IS truly scary.

Then let's all hope you are wrong about this! :)

If they did throwback to this period, more than likely they would not put an Inaugural Season Stadium patch on the jerseys, since it would not be the stadium's first year. That would probably only have a really small chance of happening if this were to be the ONLY season a uniform set was worn. But since they've worn these since 1998, after this year, we'll never have to see that patch on the uniforms again.

Yup, that patch will just be on the hats and Mets' store merchandise. The crappy logo will still appear on the jersey's this season

Any chance these picture tell a different story? New Citi Field patch on the hat, Mets logo on the left sleeve, and no logo on the right sleeve. I can dream, can't I?

Johan Santana Right Sleeve

Johan Santana Left Sleeve

Jose Reyes

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Yup, that patch will just be on the hats and Mets' store merchandise. The crappy logo will still appear on the jersey's this season

Any chance these picture tell a different story? New Citi Field patch on the hat, Mets logo on the left sleeve, and no logo on the right sleeve. I can dream, can't I?

Johan Santana Right Sleeve

Johan Santana Left Sleeve

Jose Reyes

If the pictures infact do tell a different story, ill be very happy. I rather the logo on the hat than on the sleeve and if they do put on on the sleeve let it be the same as the hat

You can't read anything about patches into those pictures - often times, the players are wearing blank jerseys for the photo shoot, or even replica jerseys.

You can be sure that the Mets will be wearing a sleeve patch, if only because they expect to sell more to fans that way.

i dont like the material the jersey is made of, you can clearly see what i mean in the pic of reyes, i hope the replica jerseys are still made double knit on the silk like material. i saw the jerseys in philly and they were made of that same stuff in reyes pic and the way phillies was put on the jersey looked really bad also.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

As far as wearing the specific jerseys in the future goes, if they throw back to an era, you're probably right. These are the same jerseys as before, but with the patches. So as stated, I doubt that they'd opt for the patch later.

What I was talking about is if they wanted to accurately reproduce the look of this year's team. For example, a pennant, a tribute, a milestone. While they rarely get it right, I know we've seen teams attempt throwbacks with period patches and/or memorials on them, thought specific examples ellude me. If they wanted to accurately throw back to THIS specific year, I doubt they could leave off the details that show it is this year--in other words, the patch(es).

And while I didn't find the pics, I did find the event I was talking about. The Astros did a major tribute to Craig Biggio as a send off, wearing different era jerseys for each day of the season-ending home series. As I recall, we discussed some of the details on the boards here, including someone maybe even wearing an actual jersey from that time frame (due to a detail left off of the rest of them). So in other words, there is always reason to fear the return of crappy jersey design--even if the tributes aren't done right, there's always the prospect of finding a skeleton in a team's closet or locker.

That being said, short of winning the pennant or series I couldn't see a reason to throw back to this specific year anyway, so it's mainly just my weak attempt at fear-mongering, and trying to prove that I'm not a complete dolt all the time.

Still, there's that nagging fear that something may be up...teams with garish looks, whether in totality or due to a minor aberration like the patch(es) here, sometimes get rewarded by fate. Maybe my Braves can take care of business and make certain that fear is a non-factor...but it won't exactly be easy.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived