new NFL team project

BrandMooreArt

hello forum, ive been browsing here for a couple days now and decided to share a concept i created for my Logos and Symbols class in at school (Full Sail University). for this project, we had about 1 week to pick a city and establish a team there. after much thought and research i finally decided that "Outlaws" was the most interesting thing i had at the time. i chose Omaha for no other reason than it flowed well with the nickname.

LOGO

i had 3 sketches that i liked for a logo, and as much as i didnt want to do a "head" logo, it was the best one .(i will be revising the logo later for my personal use to make it bolder). i was inspired by things like Jesse James, the Ravens defense, and the common hankerchiefed bad guy. i wanted something recognizable, fierce, fast, and overall "bad ass" as my instructor recomended.

type

the outlaws scripts was drawn all by hand then traced in AI. i didnt spend a lot of time on it in AI as it wasnt neccessary for the project, so theres some issues with the line work. thats another thing i will fix later. i realize now its somewhere between "girly" and baseball script. i will probaly have to make it much bolder as well. but i was trying to bring the lines from the logo into the script. the brim of the hat in the logo is the cross in the "t".

secondary logo

the belt buckle idea was my favorite, but i didnt want it to reflect SF or GB or NYJets, so i left it off the helmet. its another thing i could have spent more time on, but was just another extra credit piece. the background shape is the state of nebraska.

colors

i spent a lot of time on this part. i almost went with a blue grey and dark blue as my main 2. also considered using a copper color with that. i ended up using the old "bad ass" stand by with red and black. to seperate it from other teams, i used a maroon/dark red, silver, and black. sort of a modern version of the old 49ers silver helmets. 1963 unis?? cant remember exact year they wore them

other

the revolution helmet in this template i made in a previous class. it was white with a grey facemask and because of all the gradient meshes i used, it was near impossible to change its color. so i did some cheap PS work. the digital painting i rushed wy too much and had to do it on the trackpad of my Mac, so it looks choppy and rough, but it was also an extra credit piece. the apparel at the top is '08 reebok equipment with the Outlaws logos and colors

Omaha_Outlaws_promo_by_Addicted2Chaos.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Good stuff. I actually like the script and think you've succeded with your 'badass' goal. The only thing I think you should change is the colour of the handcercheif (sp?) on the helmet to black, to keep the emblem quality for the logo, and the colour of the facemask to black.

~?~

You definately hit the mark here. This is an awesome looking concept. The logo is a great design, and I reallly like the Outlaws script. You made a great choice on the colors and they look great on the uniforms. I look foreward to seeing more from you in the future. Welcome to the forums.

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

This logo sure does look similar to a logo I created at the beginning of my project two weeks ago.

With that off my chest, I think you need to reproduce that logo only as a monochrome black mark with no outlines. It fits the style of the wordmark more effectively and looks better in general.

Other than both of them being criminal type figures wearing cowboy hats and bandana type masks, they're not even close at all.

Definitely lose all of the outlines on the logo. You went with a simple, iconic style with the logo, and the many outlines really take away from that. Look at how much better the logo looks in its simpler form on the polo. The red and black both have enough contrast with the silver, that they can work with no outline. The wordmark could definitely be a little tougher looking, but I do like how you tried to mimic the style from the logo. I don't know if the s needs to extend so far. The uniforms look good, no complaints there. I think you did a pretty good job overall, but those couple small changes could make a huge difference.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Really, both of your logos are very much different. To be honest, I could argue the both recall elements of the old "skoal bandit":

skoalba.gif

ah i remember the Skoal bandit. havent seen that in a long time but it may have been in the back of my mind during creation.

DGN, in my defense i made this logo about 6 months ago. i submitted this very guideline to my Deviantart acount on October 18, 2008. but hey, geat minds think alike ;)

thanks again for the feedback. i guess with the outline i was trying too hard to mimic other sports logos, instead of doing what i really felt was right. as i continue to work on it, ill defenitly remove the outline

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Actually, I love the uniform colors and overall design. But that logo seems like it's very similar to another sports team. Bandits, Renegades, something...can't place my finger on them just yet, but I know I've seem a similar logo somewhere....

Edge's rating: because of the logo thing, B

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Actually, I love the uniform colors and overall design. But that logo seems like it's very similar to another sports team. Bandits, Renegades, something...can't place my finger on them just yet, but I know I've seem a similar logo somewhere....

Edge's rating: because of the logo thing, B

i get the same feeling too after seeing the Skoal bandit. its starting to look like a modern version of that.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BNS, it's cool and I wasn't trying to suggest you ripped me. More along the lines of what you said, great minds thinking alike. The logo you and Edge might be thinking of is the old CFL Ottawa Renegades:

5461.gif

It's more warped than what you or I did--and its got arms, hands, etc--but that might be it.

I was also thinking about uniform colors. Since it seems important to you to make this identity unique in the NFL (which I commend), I would go with silver helmets/maroon jerseys/silver pants/maroon socks at home, and silver helmets/white jerseys/black pants/maroon socks on the road, with maroon numbers and black striping (opposite of what you've got now) on the road jersey. You've got lots of options up there and I wasn't sure which combinations you had intended to use, but I think these two would look good and be well distinguished from any other NFL team.

Looking forward to an update.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

BNS, it's cool and I wasn't trying to suggest you ripped me. More along the lines of what you said, great minds thinking alike. The logo you and Edge might be thinking of is the old CFL Ottawa Renegades:

5461.gif

It's more warped than what you or I did--and its got arms, hands, etc--but thatif i weer might be it.

I was also thinking about uniform colors. Since it seems important to you to make this identity unique in the NFL (which I commend), I would go with silver helmets/maroon jerseys/silver pants/maroon socks at home, and silver helmets/white jerseys/black pants/maroon socks on the road, with maroon numbers and black striping (opposite of what you've got now) on the road jersey. You've got lots of options up there and I wasn't sure which combinations you had intended to use, but I think these two would look good and be well distinguished from any other NFL team.

Looking forward to an update.

yea that Renegades logo is another one of those "red hanky outlaws".

i like your suggestions, i never really thought about silver pants. personally i like black numbers on white jerseys, but ill try it with maroon numbers too. if i were the owner of the team i would probally have them wear the black/black as much as possible though :D

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived