Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps?

Mingjai

Now that the MLS has officially gone Northwest (which would have completely surprised me 2 months ago), is there any word of Vancouver and Portland will change their identities when they enter the league? I image the Whitecaps and Timbers names will stay, but I think both of these logos could stand some modification:

Vancouver_Whitecaps.jpgtimbers_logo_200x.jpg

While the Timbers logo provides a good foundation and maybe just needs a little modernization, I wouldn't be sad to see the Whitecaps logo go the way of the dodo. Not only does it look pretty generic, it also falls in the trap into which many other sports logos fall--the unnecessary inclusion of a soccer ball (like baseballs in MLB logos or basketballs in NBA logos).

If the two teams are going to be rivals of the Seattle Sounders, they should at least be able to rival the logo:

SeattleSoundersFC.png

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And, chances are, "Whitecaps FC" or "AC Whitecaps" will win out.

I do admit, I have a small hankering for something like "AC-BC" to win out, with fans ultimately deciding on an informal nickname....something like, oh, I dunno, "Whitecaps."

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I think the Timbers have the makings of a great logo, but they're not there yet. The axe is a great starting point - I think they had crossed axes at some point, which might work better.

Also wonder if they'll keep the logo color scheme - the USL club uses green and gold in the logo but the uniforms are solid green with a solid white road uniform and solid burgandy third.

And, chances are, "Whitecaps FC" or "AC Whitecaps" will win out.

I do admit, I have a small hankering for something like "AC-BC" to win out

I love their new album!

Whitecaps works perfectly fine the way it is, no need for AC, or FC, or anythingC. Vancouver Whitecaps. The End.

Why do they have to tack on the FC or AC? Is that fad not over yet? (I am referring to the fad of North American teams adopting those letters, not the tradition of overseas clubs using those letters.)

Why can't they just be the Vancouver Whitecaps or even just the Whitecaps?

I think the Timbers have the makings of a great logo, but they're not there yet. The axe is a great starting point - I think they had crossed axes at some point, which might work better.

The single axe also forms a T. You lose that with the crossed axes.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The single axe also forms a T. You lose that with the crossed axes.

True enough, but I've never been anamored with using nickname initials.

i'd love to see the timber go back to their green and white hoops if they stick with that moniker for the MLS franchise

This has been kicking around the BigSoccer boards for a while:

Timbershoops2.jpg

I like it.

The logo goes back to the 1970s, so it'd be a shame to ditch it altogether.

If they went with Celtic green and white hoops, they could continue the MLS homage European team names and just go by Timbers F.C.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I'm glad that Portland will keep their identity (name at least) and will probably update their logo/kits.

I hope the same holds true for Vancouver. Both teams have years of history and tradition not only in their support but also in their names. Any changes would alienate existing fans.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

That's 3 new teams to the Western Conference...can we now see a single table in MLS?

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

I know during the press conference when they introduced the Vancouver MLS team,they had some kids walk out wearing black jerseys,with Vancouver written across the front.I can not find any pictures online of them,and I have no idea if they will be the jersey for 2011 team.Its just something I felt I should mention.

9161.png1116.png11286.png2115.png

Archived