Uniforms cost HS team title shot

Sodboy13

All letters have to be the same size and same color. It's a stupid rule, but it's still a rule. Another basketball rule I don't understand is that players can't wear numbers that have a digit greater than 5.

Is this true?

UCLA last year wore a different colored C, and Kentucky this year wears a different colored K. Perhaps they got approval.

The number issue is for the refs. They use one hand to signal what number committed an infraction. As such, no number can be higher than five.

Obviously, they make it work in the NBA, and perhaps they could use two hands, but there is logic behind the decision.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, don't you see? It's the man trying to hold everyone down! :rolleyes:

As for the digits above five and signaling fouls, from what I observed at the NCAA games I went to over the weekend, officials signal the player numbers to the table with only one hand; if player 32 commits the foul, they signal three with one hand, then flip the hand to signal the two. Hence why only digits zero through five are available.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The rules there say home teams must wear white. Are you telling me no team in Illinois has a gold, yellow, or gray home uniform?

Yes this is correct. Our school had to get white home uniforms two years ago because of this rule. Our freshman and sophomore teams still wear gold, but varsity had to get new white home uniforms.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I remember Memphis and Rutgers had to ditch their Adidas unis 2 years ago because of a stripe on a shoulder, which was forbidden (sry no pix). The following year they used the same design, without the stripe, which made it look senseless and horrible, and this season they're in SOD's. BTW am I the 1st one to say I digg the NLCP unis?

I agree there must be rules for unis, balls, courts, seats, as in any other aspect of organized sports, otherwise it's a playground game. Plus coach Thorpe denies having being warned, so maybe he just chose to ignore the officials, unlike Oswego coach who's been authorised to use his uniforms until he could afford new_legal_ jerseys.

However reading the story, it seems the main issue is how to tell a player from another, so I really believe the call should be left up to the refs. Only at gametime they should decide wether they can see the difference between the blue/white team and the white/blue one. When they fail to do so, you know you've crossed the line. And if I had to blame anyone, I'd fire the AD or look for another supplier. Coaches coach and players play.

The problem with that is, if you wait until tip-off, what do you do if the refs decide that the uniforms infringe? Would you require all teams to carry a spare set or three with them?

Look, rules are rules. They had ample opportunity to appeal the decision before they were actually penalized for breaking them. I can't see how the team merits the slightest shred of sympathy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That posting claims that individual player names can appear on the front of the jersey. Never seen that before.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived