Uniforms cost HS team title shot

Sodboy13

Story

Much like the old "stick measurement" trick in hockey, someone called out North Lawndale on their non-standard uniforms before the game. Champaign Centennial got two shots, made one, and went on to win the game, 66-65. I'm by no means an advocate of these nationalized uniform standards and restrictions, but I'm guessing there will be new uniforms for NLCP next year.

Here's a gallery of the team's unis, which document the team's apparently illegal wraparound striping. Toward the end, you can also see their '07/'08 uniforms, which they were apparently also warned about, but never got T'd up for.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Story

Much like the old "stick measurement" trick in hockey, someone called out North Lawndale on their non-standard uniforms before the game. Champaign Centennial got two shots, made one, and went on to win the game, 66-65. I'm by no means an advocate of these nationalized uniform standards and restrictions, but I'm guessing there will be new uniforms for NLCP next year.

Here's a gallery of the team's unis, which document the team's apparently illegal wraparound striping. Toward the end, you can also see their '07/'08 uniforms, which they were apparently also warned about, but never got T'd up for.

BRILLIANT!!!! Can we institute a rule in the NFL that if a team takes the field in a monochrome non-white uniform or wearing sox that are the same color as their pants, the opposing team can let one of their linebackers take a full on run at the offending team's owner?

Also, who the hell cares what the uniforms look like?

Certainly no one here!

He means why does anyone care what type of uniform they wear as in why is there a rule to exclude that kind of striping on the jerseys and who would call them out on it? That is a complete douchebage move by the other team and they should feel guilty about winning the game. A uniform is a uniform, there should be no guidelines as to what is on it as long as it is appropriate which this uniform clearly was.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

To be fair, North Lawndale had been warned numerous times throughout the season by the Illinois High School Association about their uniforms. They were aware of the possible consequences. I'm watching the 3rd place game as we speak. I missed the beginning of the game, so I don't know if they got a technical foul again today. It doesn't matter though. They are crushing Chicago Leo.

Certainly no one here!

He means why does anyone care what type of uniform they wear as in why is there a rule to exclude that kind of striping on the jerseys and who would call them out on it? That is a complete douchebage move by the other team and they should feel guilty about winning the game. A uniform is a uniform, there should be no guidelines as to what is on it as long as it is appropriate which this uniform clearly was.

If you actually read the article, it says that an IHSA official pointed out the jerseys, not Champaign Centennial.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

That does seem like a bad rule, but you can't blame Champaign Centennial for calling them on it especially if North Lawndale has been warned by the IHSA before. Actually it says an IHSA official called them out, but that wouldn't be a douchebag move if it was the team that called them out. The other team knew that North Lawndale was breadking a rule that could result in them getting two free throws, you have to bring it to the attention of the refs.

You can argue all you want about if those uniforms should be against the rules or not (I think those should be fine to play in), but a team knew they broke a rule and got called on it. It's unfortunate that it cost them to lose that deep into March Madness, but they broke the rule and knew what the consequences would be.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Certainly no one here!

Okay, so I should have worded that better. I meant why would there be rules against certain uniform designs? I've never heard of anything like that before. And even if they were warned earlier in the season, are they supposed to just go buy a whole new set of uniforms? How many schools can honestly afford to do that? I would think they would just say that they needed to be replaced by next year. Like I said, the kids were punished for something they couldn't control.

If they were warned before the season I can see them getting docked. If it happened during the year? Bogus! The only true option they would have is borrowing the JV's uniforms. That would be ridiculous. Ordering cheap generic jerseys would be another option but depending on how much it cost it might be hard to raise that much money that quick. Even the NCAA recognizes that

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

That is terrible. Those kids were basically punished over something they couldn't control. Also, who the hell cares what the uniforms look like?

The school was repeatedly warned. If this was suddenly dropped on them, I might understand, but it wasn't. To quote an IHSA official in the Peoria Journal Star, "We've had the coversation many times. We thought their uniforms were illegal in the past. We talked to them about it at last year's tournament."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think the people who said that "If they had been warned repeatedly, then they got what they deserved." are right. Yeah it's a douchebag move to finally penalize them for it in the state semifinals, but it's not like they didn't have it coming.

It is a shame, but it should be noted that before uniform rules go in place at the high school, they are warned for four years. They announced back around '03 that the white for home teams rule was coming for '07-'08.

LvZYtbZ.png

If I was a player on that team i would be so mad at my coach and AD.

That really does suck and you have to feel for the players because it wasn't their fault.

Exactly. You have to look to the coach and the AD, who likely played the biggest roles in this year's (and last year's) non-compliant designs. I think one also has to look, though, at the team's uniform supplier. Why would any athletic uniform supplier worth their salt outfit a team in a uniform in violation of nationally-established standards? At some point, someone, on some level, needed to have the knowledge to step up and say, "We can't do this - it's against the rules." No one did, and it probably just cost a bunch of high school kids a championship.

Of course, I'm of the mindset that a lot of these uniform rules and regulations shouldn't be there in the first place. But the fact is that they are there, and teams must abide by them.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Seriously, does anyone care to bring up WHY this rule is in place? Like Ive said many times on here before, what or who exactly does this rule benefit? Is it just another typical scholastic/NCAA type rule to keep teams "discipline" because they are representing their school? Ridiculous. Just another prime example of how these GAMES are being geared more towards the benefit of the state, associations and schools and not the actual KIDS. I mean come on, these guys are 16, 17, and 18 years old. Is there supposed to be a life lesson taught to them by this.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Seriously, does anyone care to bring up WHY this rule is in place? Like Ive said many times on here before, what or who exactly does this rule benefit? Is it just another typical scholastic/NCAA type rule to keep teams "discipline" because they are representing their school? Ridiculous. Just another prime example of how these GAMES are being geared more towards the benefit of the state, associations and schools and not the actual KIDS. I mean come on, these guys are 16, 17, and 18 years old. Is there supposed to be a life lesson taught to them by this.

I couldn't have said it better myself..

Two, actually.

1. Obey the rules

2. Life's not fair, especially if you fail to pay attention to lesson #1.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The thing I do not understand is how this happened before the game began. If you are not allowed to wear them in a game, how can they get a technical before the game has begun? That is like getting a parking ticket before your meter expires. I cannot wrap my head around it. If the refs were made aware of it before the game and told the teams what would be happening for a penalty, couldn't the offending coach just make his team put on practice jerseys, JV jerseys, ladies' jerseys, or the opposing teams other set of uniforms? Chances are those would all be legal to be used in games. Anybody have any idea?

Also, yes this is a pitiful rule that hopefully gets changed because of all the attention it is getting.

Archived