2010 World Cup Qualifying

TFoA

The formula is tweaked each cycle; some would say that FIFA tweaks it in order to get the seeds they want.

Many would say! FIFA will try to ensure as many big name teams survive for as long as possible.

Ireland are a bit upset at the minute that seemingly FIFA have only just recently decided to seed the draw for the European playoffs. This means Ireland are likely to get a tough draw against the likes of France or Portugal or Russia. Much wailing and nashing of teeth in Dublin at that I can tell you!!

Theoretically though if you're trying to find the four best teams shouldn't you be pitting 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, and 4v5 to make it fair as possible?

Theoretically, sure; but in FIFA's reality, not even close. Check out the 2006 UEFA Playoffs.

Ireland's problem is not with the seeding system, but with the idea that FIFA only recently seemed to change there mind on this. Apparently FIFA had announced it would be an open draw, and only since the likes of France and Portugal were going to need the playoffs did they decide on a seeded draw.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The formula is tweaked each cycle; some would say that FIFA tweaks it in order to get the seeds they want.

Many would say! FIFA will try to ensure as many big name teams survive for as long as possible.

Ireland are a bit upset at the minute that seemingly FIFA have only just recently decided to seed the draw for the European playoffs. This means Ireland are likely to get a tough draw against the likes of France or Portugal or Russia. Much wailing and nashing of teeth in Dublin at that I can tell you!!

Theoretically though if you're trying to find the four best teams shouldn't you be pitting 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, and 4v5 to make it fair as possible?

Theoretically, sure; but in FIFA's reality, not even close. Check out the 2006 UEFA Playoffs.

Ireland's problem is not with the seeding system, but with the idea that FIFA only recently seemed to change there mind on this. Apparently FIFA had announced it would be an open draw, and only since the likes of France and Portugal were going to need the playoffs did they decide on a seeded draw.

Now that makes sense. Of course they need to do the same thing no matter who they play. Win at home, draw on the road.

6fQjS3M.png

I'm just curious, what exactly does the USA need to win tonight's game for? It's bigger for Costa Rica than it is for the USA.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I'm just curious, what exactly does the USA need to win tonight's game for? It's bigger for Costa Rica than it is for the USA.

Pretty much absolutely nothing (as we have come to the conclusion there's no way we're getting seeded...) and CR is in if they win, correct?

6fQjS3M.png

Pretty much absolutely nothing (as we have come to the conclusion there's no way we're getting seeded...) and CR is in if they win, correct?

Yeah so I think it's pretty much Costa Rica's to lose.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Yeah so I think it's pretty much Costa Rica's to lose.

They don't want they playoff that's for sure... especially if it's Argentina...

6fQjS3M.png

Switzerland and Slovakia have qualified for the World Cup.

UEFA teams that have qualified for the playoff (in order of group number):

Portugal

Greece

Slovenia

Russia

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Ukraine

France

Ireland

(Norway was in the five team group and was the odd team out as far as 2nd place teams go. Those most number of point they could have earned had they been in a 6 team group would be 16, which would put them as the least number of points as far as 2nd place teams go).

Portugal

Greece

Slovenia

Russia

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Ukraine

France

Ireland

(Norway was in the five team group and was the odd team out as far as 2nd place teams go. Those most number of point they could have earned had they been in a 6 team group would be 16, which would put them as the least number of points as far as 2nd place teams go).

Just for clarity, as far as deciding the best runners up, the teams in 6 team groups had the points from the matches against the bottom team are taken off, so the best runners up are decided by everyone having played 8 games.

(not sure I explained that very well, but just don't worry the Norwegians weren't S :cursing: d over.)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Portugal

Greece

Slovenia

Russia

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Ukraine

France

Ireland

Just for clarity, as far as deciding the best runners up, the teams in 6 team groups had the points from the matches against the bottom team are taken off, so the best runners up are decided by everyone having played 8 games.

(not sure I explained that very well, but just don't worry the Norwegians weren't S :cursing: d over.)

The play-offs will be contested by the top eight runners up. With one group having one team fewer than the others, matches against the sixth-placed team in each group are not included in this ranking.

Per Wikipedia. But yeah, Norway missed out by 2 points.

6fQjS3M.png

Portugal

Greece

Slovenia

Russia

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Ukraine

France

Ireland

I know. I just explained a quick way of telling that it would be impossible for them to move on. Even if you took 6 points away from Ireland they would still have more points than Norway.

Argentina has qualified for the World Cup securing the 4th position in CONMEBOL by beating Uruguay 1-0 in Montevideo.

And Uruguay gets the playoff as Ecuador fell to Chile 1-0.

So Uruguay vs. Honduras or Costa Rica. Thoughts?

Archived