2010 World Cup Qualifying

TFoA

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Tied 2-2!

That goal might just put Honduras into the World Cup!

EDIT: Bornstein has indeed put Honduras into the World Cup! Uruguay versus Costa Rica for a spot.

Welcome back to the World Cup Honduras.

Edit: Those Grey t-shirts look sweet.

That was awesome. It's seriously as if the USMNT does their best whenever it's least expected. I don't think anybody expected them to get a draw out of this after the way that the first half went. But here they are, it took them ALL of the 2nd half to do it, but they did it. They win the hex, put Costa Rica into the dreaded CONCACAF vs COMMEBOL playoff, & freakin' Honduras is going to the World Cup. I've got a friend from there, & I'm sure that once she hears the news she is going to freak out.

But yeah, that was definitely exciting, & definitely a good sign. This team will fight until the absolute last second, that's for sure. At least we didn't have to see Costa Rica celebrate on US soil, & most of all, I'm sure Davies was watching & he's proud of his teammates. Big win, now it's friendlies from here on out, then the group draw & then SA2010. I can't wait.

I'm glad the US wins CONCACAF and is going to South Africa.

However, why in the hell were they playing their best players in a game that's meaningless? They were already in the World Cup, the game's being played in bad conditions...why risk acquiring cards or injuries to your top players? I have a bad feeling that Onyewu's screwed up his knee.

I totally get that "soccer etiquette" argument, but I also believe in doing what's best for your team over what's in the best interests for FIFA/CONCACAF.

However, why in the hell were they playing their best players in a game that's meaningless? They were already in the World Cup, the game's being played in bad conditions...why risk acquiring cards or injuries to your top players? I have a bad feeling that Onyewu's screwed up his knee.

I totally get that "soccer etiquette" argument, but I also believe in doing what's best for your team over what's in the best interests for FIFA/CONCACAF.

It's not like it is a situation where the World Cup is the next week. The World Cup is 8 months from now, in the mean time all of these players are going to be playing for their club teams and thus risking injury. By not playing the top players it won't dramatically reduce the risk of injuries as all the players will be playing many many game between now and then.

Well the World Cup is not until June, and a tie gives the US a better seed in the World Cup.

If by better you mean the exact same one as if we lost, then ya its better

That was awesome. It's seriously as if the USMNT does their best whenever it's least expected. I don't think anybody expected them to get a draw out of this after the way that the first half went. But here they are, it took them ALL of the 2nd half to do it, but they did it. They win the hex, put Costa Rica into the dreaded CONCACAF vs COMMEBOL playoff, & freakin' Honduras is going to the World Cup. I've got a friend from there, & I'm sure that once she hears the news she is going to freak out.

But yeah, that was definitely exciting, & definitely a good sign. This team will fight until the absolute last second, that's for sure. At least we didn't have to see Costa Rica celebrate on US soil, & most of all, I'm sure Davies was watching & he's proud of his teammates. Big win, now it's friendlies from here on out, then the group draw & then SA2010. I can't wait.

The fact that I found surprising was that the average age of a Honduran citizen is 20 meaning most Hondurans haven't seen their nation in the WC so good for them! haha

6fQjS3M.png

Well the World Cup is not until June, and a tie gives the US a better seed in the World Cup.

Unless a lot of the top teams lose, the US isn't likely getting a top-8 seed.

If you're not in the top 8, you're subject to the luck of the draw, I believe.

Or top 7 if you wanna get specific since we know SA won't be a top 8 team

6fQjS3M.png

It's not like it is a situation where the World Cup is the next week. The World Cup is 8 months from now, in the mean time all of these players are going to be playing for their club teams and thus risking injury. By not playing the top players it won't dramatically reduce the risk of injuries as all the players will be playing many many game between now and then.

I get that these guys still have club games and friendlies, but it's one less game against international competition that these guys are playing in.

Had someone gotten a red card tonight, would that have carried over into the international friendlies, or not until the World Cup?

My point is that the US already qualified, and they were playing a game in soggy conditions....conditions where leg injuries are easier to sustain. Is it not in the better interests of the US to keep their top players out of this game?

8 months to recover from a broken leg, torn knee ligament, etc. is not enough time for a soccer player.

Archived