2010 World Cup Qualifying

TFoA

My girlfriend is from Trinidad, so a USA loss is unacceptable tomorrow.

What, do y'all have a bet going on? If so, you could work this out so that even if the US somehow loses, everybody wins. :lol:

Well we did...she dumped me last night. So now I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want us to win.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Group 6 England will qualify for the World Cup if:

* they defeat Croatia

or

* they draw with Croatia AND Ukraine do not defeat Belarus.

Ukraine and Belarus have drawn, England need only a point from the game at home to Croatia which is about to kickoff!

Edit England lead 1-0 after 10 mins (Lampard penalty after Lennon tripped in the box)

England win 5-1 and secure a birth to South Africa and Bahrain on literally the final play score and advance on away goals to play New Zealand in the AFC-OFC playoff.

Go Kiwis! Would be nice to see the All Whites in the World Cup in South Africa

No, it's not racist at all.

USA gets the 3 points @ Port of Spain tonight, clinching at least a spot in the dreaded playoff vs. the 5th place COMMEBOL team. It wasn't the prettiest of wins, but at this point, nobody's complaining. The picture will be clearer after the late games tonight (El Salvador v Costa Rica, Mexico v Honduras).

Speaking of COMMEBOL, Argentina fell to 5th place. If that result holds up, the 4th place CONCACAF team's gonna rue that matchup. Even with the strif that Maradona's side is going through (and I doubt that he's gonna last until the World Cup, IF they make it), that's gonna be a tough matchup for whoever ends up 4th.

Pumped to see my beloved Yanks take the 3 points in Port of Spain, thereby putting the final nail in the Soca Warriors' coffin.

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

With Mexico getting the 1-0 win over Honduras @ Azteca and El Salvador beating Costa Rica, here's the current standings:

USA (16 pts, +5 GD)

Mexico (15 pts, +4 GD)

Honduras (13 pts, +5 GD)

Costa Rica (12 pts, -4 GD

El Salvador (8 pts, -2 GD)

The only reason that I included El Salvador is because they still have a decent shot at getting in. USA's win, like Andrew said, has postponed T&T's world cup hopes to 2014. The US & Mexico both clinched at least 4th place with 2 games left. Next month's games are the final 2, and they're gonna be crucial:

Saturday, 10/10/09

T&T @ Costa Rica

El Salvador @ Mexico

USA @ Honduras

Wednesday, 10/14/09

Mexico @ T&T

Honduras @ El Salvador

Costa Rica @ USA

Costa Rica have gone into full tailspin mode after that great start. Honduras still looked very competitive against Mexico in Azteca, with the Mexicans needing a penalty to get the 3 points. The US started off slow, but finished the game strong against T&T, all games ending 1-0. I think that if the US could get at least a tie in one of the next 2 games, we'll be seeing the Yanks in South Africa next summer. I don't think it's gonna come in Honduras, though. That place has turned into the graveyard of CONCACAF. Even though Costa Rica is languishing, idk if I'd want the USA to HAVE to win the last game of the hex against them. I hope that they can at least get a tie down in Honduras.

Thanks to Wikipedia, here are all of the possible scenarios:

* United States and Mexico are guaranteed at least the CONMEBOL/CONCACAF play-off spot.

* Trinidad and Tobago have been eliminated.

On the next matchday (10 October):

* United States will qualify for the 2010 FIFA World Cup if:

o they defeat Honduras OR

o they draw with Honduras AND Costa Rica fail to defeat Trinidad and Tobago OR

o Costa Rica lose to Trinidad and Tobago.

* Mexico will qualify for the 2010 FIFA World Cup if:

o they defeat El Salvador OR

o they draw with El Salvador AND Costa Rica lose to Trinidad and Tobago.

* Honduras will qualify for the 2010 FIFA World Cup if:

o they defeat United States AND Costa Rica lose to Trinidad and Tobago.

* Honduras will ensure at worst the CONCACAF/CONMEBOL play-off spot if:

o they defeat United States OR

o El Salvador lose to Mexico.

* Costa Rica will ensure at worst the CONCACAF/CONMEBOL play-off spot if:

o they defeat Trinidad and Tobago OR

o El Salvador lose to Mexico

* El Salvador will be able to qualify only via the CONCACAF/CONMEBOL play-off spot if:

o they defeat Mexico AND either Honduras or Costa Rica fail to beat their following match OR

o they draw to Mexico AND Costa Rica lose to Trinidad and Tobago.

* El Salvador will be eliminated if:

o they lose to Mexico OR

o they draw with Mexico AND Costa Rica do not lose to Trinidad and Tobago.

o Honduras and Costa Rica beat their following match.

In the next round:

USA: The USA will qualify with a win in their next game in Honduras, regardless of other results. If the USA draws and Costa Rica loses then USA will qualify.

Mexico: can qualify in their next game against El Salvador at Azteca, if they win and Costa Rica loses. Also, a draw for Mexico and a loss for Costa Rica would see them qualify.

Honduras: can qualify in their next game if they win at home against USA and Costa Rica loses.

USA, Mexico and Honduras - will qualify automatically if Honduras and Mexico win and Costa Rica loses.

El Salvador: will be eliminated after their next game at Azteca if they lose, if they draw and Costa Rica draws, or if they win and Costa Rica and Honduras both win.

Trinidad and Tobago: has been eliminated

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

• 5 weeks later...

Can someone explain the reasoning for FIFA's screwy TV rules. How can a national federation not be allowed to sell the rights to that nations game in that nation? This is like the Oakland A's selling tv rights in New York for when the Yankees come to town.

There is no excuse for any sporting event in the year 2009 to be on closed-circuit television only.

The field is half full!

Denmark, Cote d'Ivoire, Germany, Italy, and Serbia qualified today.

You can now add Mexico and Chile to the list.

Also, New Zealand had a scoreless draw at Bahrain in the 1st leg of their playoff.

I saw, I came, I left.

The field is half full!

Denmark, Cote d'Ivoire, Germany, Italy, and Serbia qualified today.

You can now add Mexico and Chile to the list.

Also, New Zealand had a scoreless draw at Bahrain in the 1st leg of their playoff.

Awesome, now get that win at home, Kiwis!

AHHH! OH MY GOD! AHHH! WE'RE GOING TO SOUTH AFRICA OH MY GOD!

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

Archived