2010 World Cup Qualifying

TFoA

We're going to get killed!

We're going to get killed!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was a hell of a game from all accounts...well, 2nd half at least.

Anyways, HUGE victory for the US, not only because it clinched the World Cup berth for em, but they also became the first and only team to win at Honduras during the entirety of World Cup Qualifying. I'll admit it, I had little-to-no faith of the US clinching the spot at Honduras...I thought that they'd have to beat Costa Rica here to do it, & Honduras definitely bolstered my feeling. But they did it. Huge confidence booster for the Yanks, that they can win outside of the U.S. in a very hostile environment.

I'm excited. They may not be the most talented team that the US has sent to the World Cup, but it's probably the most well-coached and most together team that they've sent. I don't expect them to win, of course, but I expect them to have a respectable showing next year in South Africa. USA! USA!

Martín Palermo gave Argentina an agonizing victory over Peru with a 93 min goal... and then Maradona got happy...

1255250712858.jpg

Free Willy!!!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

That sets up an interesting Uruguay v Argentina matchup. If I'm not mistaken, the winner gets in (or at least the playoff), and the loser stays home.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That sets up an interesting Uruguay v Argentina matchup. If I'm not mistaken, the winner gets in (or at least the playoff), and the loser stays home.

In effect, Venezuela is out, and we have the following.

ARG 25 (+2, 22)

URU 24 (+9, 28)

ECU 23 (-3, 22)

Argentina is at Uruguay, Ecuador is at Chile (who has already qualified).

Whoever wins Argentina/Uruguay is in the World Cup. If the two teams draw, Argentina gets in unless Ecuador beats Chile by 5 goals and outscores Argentina, or Ecuador beats Chile by 6 goals.

Ecuador, for their part, can clinch a spot in the playoff just by beating Chile. If Ecuador wins, then the loser of ARG/URU is gone, and URU is gone in a draw. If Ecuador draws, they have to hope Argentina beats Uruguay by 13 to get to the playoff. Ecuador loses, then ARG and URU are guaranteed at least a spot in the playoff.

LvZYtbZ.png

In effect, Venezuela is out, and we have the following.

ARG 25 (+2, 22)

URU 24 (+9, 28)

ECU 23 (-3, 22)

Argentina is at Uruguay, Ecuador is at Chile (who has already qualified).

Whoever wins Argentina/Uruguay is in the World Cup. If the two teams draw, Argentina gets in unless Ecuador beats Chile by 5 goals and outscores Argentina, or Ecuador beats Chile by 6 goals.

Ecuador, for their part, can clinch a spot in the playoff just by beating Chile. If Ecuador wins, then the loser of ARG/URU is gone, and URU is gone in a draw. If Ecuador draws, they have to hope Argentina beats Uruguay by 13 to get to the playoff. Ecuador loses, then ARG and URU are guaranteed at least a spot in the playoff.

You look at that and you can see that Argentina is still in a fair amount of trouble. Uruguay will play for the win to avoid the risk of going out due to an Ecuador win, Ecuador is playing for its lives against a team already qualified. I would still imagine Argentina will make the play off at the very least, but this is Argentina, they should have been safely in weeks ago.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I don't know much about how the draw works but are the eight ranked teams in eight separate pools?

You mean for the actual finals? What normally happens is that there are 4 levels of seed, worked out on the basis of previous records in championships. The hosts are usually placed in a group. (I think South Africa are in group A automatically).

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I don't know much about how the draw works but are the eight ranked teams in eight separate pools?

You mean for the actual finals? What normally happens is that there are 4 levels of seed, worked out on the basis of previous records in championships. The hosts are usually placed in a group. (I think South Africa are in group A automatically).

Yeah saw on the Wikipedia page that SA is in group A automatically. Also, the Czechs look like they'll be out of the World Cup. Portugal needs a win against Malta to beat out the Swedes (as they should beat the Albanians) for the final spot in the 8-team UEFA Play-off. If miraculously both Portugal and Sweden lose (or Sweden draws) who would be the 8th team in the play-off, Norway or Portugal/Sweden?

Also, looks like #9 Croatia will be out barring a Ukrainian collapse against the Andorrans.

6fQjS3M.png

Actually, there are not four levels of seeds. There are eight seeded teams, including the hosts, that each have their own group. The rest are put in pots based on their confederation, with the intent of drawing groups that have no repeats in confederation--except for UEFA, where there can be two teams from UEFA in a group.

POTD 2013-08-22

Actually, there are not four levels of seeds. There are eight seeded teams, including the hosts, that each have their own group. The rest are put in pots based on their confederation, with the intent of drawing groups that have no repeats in confederation--except for UEFA, where there can be two teams from UEFA in a group.

So then there is theoretically some importance to the USMNT's game tonight as with a win (and a couple teams losing [i.e. Argentina, Croatia]) that the USMNT could be ranked 8th going into South Africa?

6fQjS3M.png

So then there is theoretically some importance to the USMNT's game tonight as with a win (and a couple teams losing [i.e. Argentina, Croatia]) that the USMNT could be ranked 8th going into South Africa?

Either way you want to slice it, Group Drawings have not been kind to the USMNT.

The last three Cups:

1998: Germany, Yugoslavia, and Iran.

2002: Portugal, Poland, and South Korea.

2006: Italy, Czech Republic, and Ghana.

2010: England, Chile, and North Korea (it's nice to guess, isn't it?).

Eh, not really.

POTD 2013-08-22

Eh, not really.

The lesson learned... don't listen to ESPN :P

6fQjS3M.png

ESPN discusses the draw here

I misspoke a little. Usually what has happened in the past is that there have been 4 pots of 8 teams each, with stipulations such as no more than 2 European teams in the same group.

I would think that it is unlikely the US would get into the first pot, as seedings tend to be based on previous performances in competitions. I don't think the US's performance in Japan and South Korea would be enough to put them in the top 8. Without working it out carefully, I would suggest the likely 8 would be South Africa (as hosts), Italy, Brazil, Germany, Spain, England, France and Argentina, with Netherlands, and maybe Portugal holding on as other possible seeds should France or Argentina not make it.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The formula is tweaked each cycle; some would say that FIFA tweaks it in order to get the seeds they want.

Until a few days ago, I didn't realize that the US was ninth in the rankings for 2006.

POTD 2013-08-22

The formula is tweaked each cycle; some would say that FIFA tweaks it in order to get the seeds they want.

Many would say! FIFA will try to ensure as many big name teams survive for as long as possible.

Ireland are a bit upset at the minute that seemingly FIFA have only just recently decided to seed the draw for the European playoffs. This means Ireland are likely to get a tough draw against the likes of France or Portugal or Russia. Much wailing and nashing of teeth in Dublin at that I can tell you!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Many would say! FIFA will try to ensure as many big name teams survive for as long as possible.

Ireland are a bit upset at the minute that seemingly FIFA have only just recently decided to seed the draw for the European playoffs. This means Ireland are likely to get a tough draw against the likes of France or Portugal or Russia. Much wailing and nashing of teeth in Dublin at that I can tell you!!

Theoretically though if you're trying to find the four best teams shouldn't you be pitting 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, and 4v5 to make it fair as possible?

6fQjS3M.png

Theoretically though if you're trying to find the four best teams shouldn't you be pitting 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, and 4v5 to make it fair as possible?

Theoretically, sure; but in FIFA's reality, not even close. Check out the 2006 UEFA Playoffs.

Archived