2010 World Cup Qualifying

TFoA

Key matches for a couple of big name countries on Wednesday, Sweden takes on Malta a win for sure for the Swedes and this will draw them even with Portugal but still both will be 4 Points back of Hungary in the battle for 2nd to qualify for the UEFA Playoffs, England takes on Andorra and will guarantee themselves at least a 2nd place finish and with 3 to play looks good for the Three Lions to get to South Africa.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then in Asia you have an interesting situation. Top two teams in each group go, 3rd bests play off for a spot against New Zealand for a spot.

Right now, we have the following.

Group A: AUS 14 (6), JPN 14 (6), BHR 7 (6), QAT 5 (7), UZB 4 (7)

Group B: KOR 14 (6), PRK 11 (7), KSA 10 (6), IRN 7 (6), UAE 1 (7)

Group A looks pretty much set. All Bahrain has to do to qualify for the playoff is either beat an Australian side with nothing to play for, or pull off a draw and hope that Japan beats Qatar.

Group B is a bit more interesting though. North Korea doesn't play this round, and the fixtures are KOR-KSA and IRN-UAE. Now, maybe I'm being a bit cynical here, but knowing that the last set is KSA-PRK and KOR-IRN...

If Iran beats the UAE (which they should), couldn't you see South Korea throwing the Iran game to try to keep North Korea out of the World Cup? (North Korea would then need a tie against the Saudis to make it to the playoff, or a win to get them in outright.)

LvZYtbZ.png

Then in Asia you have an interesting situation. Top two teams in each group go, 3rd bests play off for a spot against New Zealand for a spot.

Right now, we have the following.

Group A: AUS 14 (6), JPN 14 (6), BHR 7 (6), QAT 5 (7), UZB 4 (7)

Group B: KOR 14 (6), PRK 11 (7), KSA 10 (6), IRN 7 (6), UAE 1 (7)

Group A looks pretty much set. All Bahrain has to do to qualify for the playoff is either beat an Australian side with nothing to play for, or pull off a draw and hope that Japan beats Qatar.

Group B is a bit more interesting though. North Korea doesn't play this round, and the fixtures are KOR-KSA and IRN-UAE. Now, maybe I'm being a bit cynical here, but knowing that the last set is KSA-PRK and KOR-IRN...

If Iran beats the UAE (which they should), couldn't you see South Korea throwing the Iran game to try to keep North Korea out of the World Cup? (North Korea would then need a tie against the Saudis to make it to the playoff, or a win to get them in outright.)

Well, let's see:

Say that Iran does beat the UAE. 2nd through 4th looks like this...

2nd: North Korea (11)

T-3rd: Saudi Arabia (10)

T-3rd: Iran (10)

It wouldn't matter what South Korea did in their game next week against Iran, but throwing the game, even to spite the hard asses in the North, would make South Korea look bad since people might notice they were dogging it to spite the North.

But, Iran needs that game more. They need a win over South Korea and hope that the game between North Korea and Saudi Arabia ends in a draw. This makes the standings look like this:

2nd: Iran (13)

3rd: North Korea (12)

4th: Saudi Arabia (11)

Boy, that was quick! Mexico with a goal tonight in the first minute!

Okay, let's look at Asia once more.

Group A: AUS 17 (7), JPN 15 (7), BHR 7 (7) {-3}, QAT 6 (8), UZB 4 (7) {-4}

Group B: KOR 15 (7), PRK 11 (7) {+2}, KSA 11 (7) {0}, IRN 10 (7) {+1}, UAE 1 (8)

Last fixtures are AUS-JPN, BHR-UZB, KOR-IRN, and KSA-PRK.

Group A is easy. If Bahrain wins or draws, they're in the playoff. If Uzbekistan wins, they're in.

Group B is a bit more complicated. Whoever wins the Saudi-North Korea game is in. If that's a draw, Iran's in with a win over South Korea - else, North Korea is in with the draw and Iran's non-win.

When it comes to the playoff... Iran is in the playoff spot if they win and the Saudi-North Korea game is not a draw. If Iran loses, then the loser of Saudi-North Korea gets the playoff spot (or Saudi Arabia gets it with the draw).

If it's a double draw, then North Korea is in, and Saudi Arabia is in the playoff spot. If Iran draws and someone wins Saudi-North Korea, then Iran gets in the playoff spot as long as any of the following are true: North Korea wins, Saudi Arabia wins by two or more, or Saudi Arabia wins by 1 and North Korea scores fewer or the same amount of goals as Iran does. If the Saudis win by 1 and North Korea scores more goals than Iran, North Korea's in the playoff.

LvZYtbZ.png

Let's give this one last bump for awhile. Besides the African qualifiers on the weekend, we had two games this morning:

AUS 2:1 JPN and KOR 1:1 IRN

Group A: AUS 20, JPN 15, BHR 7 (7) {-3, 5}, QAT 6, UZB 4 (7) {-4, 5}

Group B: KOR 16, PRK 11 (7) {+2, 7}, IRN 11 {+1, 8}, KSA 11 (7) {0, 8}, UAE 1

Group A, once again... All Bahrain needs is the draw, Uzbekistan needs the win.

Group B has KSA-PRK. If North Korea wins, then they are World Cup bound and Iran goes to the playoff. If Saudi Arabia wins, then they are World Cup bound, and Iran goes to the playoff (unless North Korea loses a one goal game by 3-2 or higher). If it's a draw, North Korea goes to the World Cup, Saudi Arabia to the playoff.

LvZYtbZ.png

That goal by Tulio was the first allowed in the fourth round of qualifying by the Socceroos. They went through their group with ease, and they have to be taken as a serious dark horse come Cup time.

philly.png

Also the first time that North Korea & South Korea both qualify for the same World Cup. That could be an interesting story in about a year.
Just imagine if they face each other! (Unlikely, I know, but it could happen!)

LvZYtbZ.png

Also the first time that North Korea & South Korea both qualify for the same World Cup. That could be an interesting story in about a year.

I think FIFA should rig the draw and put DPRK in the same group with .... Italy! :D The Koreas were in the same group.... although their matches where played in "neutral" China.

I saw, I came, I left.

I think FIFA should rig the draw and put DPRK in the same group with .... Italy! :D The Koreas were in the same group.... although their matches where played in "neutral" China.
Actually, only the North Korea home games were played in China. South Korea played theirs at home (because North Korea wouldn't show the South Korea flag or play the North Korea anthem.

I meant it'd be funny if they met in the World Cup. That said, it can't happen earlier than the Round of 16, as they cannot be drawn to the same group.

LvZYtbZ.png

Actually, only the North Korea home games were played in China. South Korea played theirs at home (because North Korea wouldn't show the South Korea flag or play the North Korea anthem.

I meant it'd be funny if they met in the World Cup. That said, it can't happen earlier than the Round of 16, as they cannot be drawn to the same group.

Ah, yes, I was looking at the wrong schedule ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Is there a chance FIFA could ban North Korea from international competition by then?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is there a chance FIFA could ban North Korea from international competition by then?

Only if FIFA finds out that Kim Jong-Il is screwing around with the program. More often then not, that's usually the case.

I'd love it if US played the Peoples Republic, man we couldn't blow that one hopefully

If the USA does make the World Cup, faces North Korea and loses, the "Axis of Evil" would be 2-0 against the USA. Not good for a PR standpoint.

I'd love it if US played the Peoples Republic, man we couldn't blow that one hopefully

If the USA does make the World Cup, faces North Korea and loses, the "Axis of Evil" would be 2-0 against the USA. Not good for a PR standpoint.

But the exchanging of gifts would be hilariously awkward.

/Loves it when European nations play former colonies.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 4 weeks later...
Just a bump up... it's possible Aguirre might be suspended for the World Cup qualifier against the United States. Granted, it would require Mexico losing in the quarterfinals of the Gold Cup...

I doubt it, Mexico will reach the final of the Gold Cup. And what the hell 3 games and a $25,000 fine, seems a little light for Aguirres' stupidity. Either or, the USMNT has to win at Azteca.

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

Archived