2009 Formula 1 Season

epper

When then is no GP in France for instance, I think that its fairly clear that F1s priority is in the East rather than anywhere else. Frankly I would expect a Korean GP before I would expect a North American GP. One of the issues with North American races, is that they are very expensive. At the very most there would be 3 races in North America, and you could tack them onto the Brazillian GP maybe, but overall what you still have is a mass transit haul to N America, I don't think that the TV rights in the US would necesarily go up that much even with a US GP.

I do think its a pity that F1 isn't going for a more global outreach, but they aren't. The US GP has always been an awkward thing for Formula 1, especially with the growth of Indykart and NASCAR. I don't sense any real move to get F1 back in North America, either from Ecclestone or from the teams (who want as low costs as possible!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you old enough to remember it (like I am) the most popular F1 venue here in the US was Long Beach; I think that at the time we were so used to USAC Indycars and NASCAR running on ovals the street racing was different and unique (also for years the only F1 race broadcast here was Monaco) that it became an event. Plus having a US driver who contended and eventually won the championship (Mario Andretti) helped. I really remember the '77 and '78 races. While Watkins Glen is a great, historic track it was really in disrepair back then, and Long Beach seemed to have that European "flair".

As many of you know, the reason why Long Beach became a CART (and now an IRL) event was that Bernie wanted too much money from the race promoters as a sanctioning fee - I believe he wanted $1 million as the fee for 1984, which doesn't sound like much now but was a huge chunk of change in 1983 when they were in negotiations to renew the race. CART said they would do it for less than half (something in the $300,000 to $400,000 range) so the promoters switched to CART. The USGP never really found a home after that; Indianapolis was the closest but the tire fiasco a few years ago and the ego dual between George and Ecclestone put an end to that.

However, maybe more than an auto manufacturer coming in an American driver who has good equipment and can contend would do the most to drive interest here in the US.

There are so few venues in the US and Canada that are up to F1's standards *turns up nose*. Nobody is willing or able to put forth the money to bring these tracks up to those ridiculous standards for a once a year event. There are lots of tracks that F1 would be fantastic at in North America; Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, Mosport to name a few...but none of them can afford a total rebuilding of their facilities to appease Eccelstone and his F1 mafia.

There are so few venues in the US and Canada that are up to F1's standards *turns up nose*. Nobody is willing or able to put forth the money to bring these tracks up to those ridiculous standards for a once a year event. There are lots of tracks that F1 would be fantastic at in North America; Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, Mosport to name a few...but none of them can afford a total rebuilding of their facilities to appease Eccelstone and his F1 mafia.

Montreal did rebuild the paddocks completely last year, only to lose the race this year...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Rear diffusers deemed legal by FIA Court of Appeal

Excellent. Now Ferrari will have to step up their game if they want to be contenders this year. I am very pleased with this ruling as it levels the playing field for this year.

No more two teams championship.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Rear diffusers deemed legal by FIA Court of Appeal

Excellent. Now Ferrari will have to step up their game if they want to be contenders this year. I am very pleased with this ruling as it levels the playing field for this year.

No more two teams championship.

Ferrari will drop the KERS system for this week. Renault and McLaren will supposedly debut the new diffuser as well.

What? The Gods of F1 passed on a chance to turn the sport on it's head and negate the results of the winner of the first two races?

I don't believe it. :blink:

Nice to see that decision and have that put behind us.

Speaking of F1, anyone ever play Formula De?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/173

The geek factor is a bit up there since there are dice with more than 6 sides, but it's a fun game and features boards with a large variety of F1 and North American tracks.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

What? The Gods of F1 passed on a chance to turn the sport on it's head and negate the results of the winner of the first two races?

The sport was turned on its head when three teams interpreted the rules differently than the rest. As a result, one team with little funding is winning driver and constructer titles after two races and the others cried foul. The 2009 changes by the FIA, FIM, and Court of Sport Appeals (which seems so spare) allowed it to be done. Heck, I've always liked Rubens, so now get Brawn some more money and they should really do well until McLaren makes the diffuser right since it is the same engine technology.

Ross Brawn had suggested to all teams, prior to 2009, that rules should be clarified in order not that have an issue like this happen. Everybody declined. Now who's looking stupid?

I hope he'll get more money to develop his car. He's always been a top contender when it comes to building cars, and I think his team will be a contender for a long time.

Ross Brawn had suggested to all teams, prior to 2009, that rules should be clarified in order not that have an issue like this happen. Everybody declined. Now who's looking stupid?

I hope he'll get more money to develop his car. He's always been a top contender when it comes to building cars, and I think his team will be a contender for a long time.

With Sir Richard Branson on board I would hope sponsorship money wouldn't be an issue. I love the neon green and white motif they have going on right now, but I think a bright pink car with Virgin on the sidepod would make a much bigger statement!

"We're here! With our rear (-diffurser)!! Get used to it!!"

With Sir Richard Branson on board I would hope sponsorship money wouldn't be an issue. I love the neon green and white motif they have going on right now, but I think a bright pink car with Virgin on the sidepod would make a much bigger statement!

"We're here! With our rear (-diffurser)!! Get used to it!!"

If they really wanted to make a statement, they would also shout "Gattaca! Gattaca!"

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Well dammit, I was watching the race on SPEED, but I didn't know that it was a replay, so now it's spoiled for me. :(

But I was basically coming on to say this: Parity has hit F1 in a pretty big way.

It was a pretty good event, congrats go out to Vettel and RBR for pulling out the win. I will say that I thought it sucked that the safety car was out there for the first nine laps, using it to do a rolling start and coming in after lap 1 would have sufficed.

And now thankfully we can start bringing on the 7:30a starts.

Well dammit, I was watching the race on SPEED, but I didn't know that it was a replay, so now it's spoiled for me. :(

But I was basically coming on to say this: Parity has hit F1 in a pretty big way.

Oops sorry!

I wouldn't go as far as saying that parity has arrived in F1, the new regulations have brought about a shuffling of the pack, but in the fullness of time I would expect Ferrari, MacLaren and Williams to move back to the front of the grid.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Oops sorry!

I wouldn't go as far as saying that parity has arrived in F1, the new regulations have brought about a shuffling of the pack, but in the fullness of time I would expect Ferrari, MacLaren and Williams to move back to the front of the grid.

I didn't catch this, but my Dad said that Kimi has admitted that the season is pretty much shot, and Ferrari team officials aren't doing much to dispute that statement.

I was so glad to see Vettel take home another race win. His win last season was masterful, and last weekends was even better! Driving away from the pack at almost 2 seconds a lap is unheard of! The new rainmaster has arrived in F1!

Yeah Kimi said a couple of times over the last GP weekend that basically Ferrari aren't going to be able to catch up enough this season enough to challenge for the championship and all they can hope for is some race wins late in the season. It sounds as if a lot of the other teams were able to start planning for the 2009 season and the technical changes whilst Ferrari and MacLaren were still fighting for the championship last season. (Brawn is basically the Honda team of last year)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Yeah Kimi said a couple of times over the last GP weekend that basically Ferrari aren't going to be able to catch up enough this season enough to challenge for the championship and all they can hope for is some race wins late in the season. It sounds as if a lot of the other teams were able to start planning for the 2009 season and the technical changes whilst Ferrari and MacLaren were still fighting for the championship last season. (Brawn is basically the Honda team of last year)

I am not so sure that your statement about Ferrari and McLaren solely concerntrating on the 2008 titles cost them a title in 2009. Since they have the biggest staffs, then they should have prepared a chassis with more brains than the others. The rule changes were given in at least August, so work all teams knew of the changes. Granted, three teams interpreted the rule on a diffuser diffrently than the others, plus it has pain early dividends, but Honda was the first team to try to work with KERS when the 2009 technical specs were announced before the folded. Teams knew for a long time that the FIA and Formula 1 was looking to reduce the cost of competition; some teams looked for short term success rather than long term sustainability.

I am not so sure that your statement about Ferrari and McLaren solely concerntrating on the 2008 titles cost them a title in 2009. Since they have the biggest staffs, then they should have prepared a chassis with more brains than the others. The rule changes were given in at least August, so work all teams knew of the changes. Granted, three teams interpreted the rule on a diffuser diffrently than the others, plus it has pain early dividends, but Honda was the first team to try to work with KERS when the 2009 technical specs were announced before the folded. Teams knew for a long time that the FIA and Formula 1 was looking to reduce the cost of competition; some teams looked for short term success rather than long term sustainability.

Thats true, but the teams that were in the running for the drivers championship still had there eye on the 2008 season, whereas other teams had plenty of time to develop the 2009 car. I am not saying its the only factor, but its certainly a factor that has been discussed as a reason for MacLaren and Ferrari starting 2009 slower than you might expect.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Another win for Jenson Button in Bahrain. Interestingly the first signs of MacLaren (Hamilton 4th) and Ferrari (finally score some points) recoveries. Off to Europe now, and more teams making technical changes for the next GP.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived