MLB Concepts, Take II

slapshot

I closed the other thread and started this new one. I am using a new created template (don't ask for it), and feel it's more accurate than the previous ones.

But before I post, I present a background...

I consider myself a traditionalist, to an extent. I don't like uniforms that are too loud, but I like alternates that show off a team's color. I think the double-knit era was a travesty on the eyes. I don't think the embellishments should be hard to read. Players' numbers aren't that hard to read, because they're only in motion for a short period of time. And with the advent of HD, uniforms are easier to read on screen. But there is a limit as to what is legible, and what it garishly obnoxious.

I hope that with this series I am able to strike a balance between modern and traditional, while still keeping a unique feel for every team.

I am also limiting myself with the following stipulations:

1. Only a home alternate will be used, with the exception of an additional throwback-type uniform, if the case fits.

2. There will be little, if any, redesigning of logos. I may use a current script with an older color scheme, or vice-versa, or modify an existing identity for consistency, but hopefully they will be minor.

3. Nameplate lettering will be limited to legible fonts only. Sorry, Cincinnati and Milwaukee. I find your letters hard to read. Gone!

4. In some cases, no changes will be made, as I think they are perfect as/is.

5. And anything else I might think of during the course of this project. :P

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I closed the other thread and started this new one. I am using a new created template (don't ask for it), and feel it's more accurate than the previous ones.

But before I post, I present a background...

I consider myself a traditionalist, to an extent. I don't like uniforms that are too loud, but I like alternates that show off a team's color. I think the double-knit era was a travesty on the eyes. I don't think the embellishments should be hard to read. Players' numbers aren't that hard to read, because they're only in motion for a short period of time. And with the advent of HD, uniforms are easier to read on screen. But there is a limit as to what is legible, and what it garishly obnoxious.

I hope that with this series I am able to strike a balance between modern and traditional, while still keeping a unique feel for every team.

I am also limiting myself with the following stipulations:

1. Only a home alternate will be used, with the exception of an additional throwback-type uniform, if the case fits.

2. There will be little, if any, redesigning of logos. I may use a current script with an older color scheme, or vice-versa, or modify an existing identity for consistency, but hopefully they will be minor.

3. Nameplate lettering will be limited to legible fonts only. Sorry, Cincinnati and Milwaukee. I find your letters hard to read. Gone!

4. In some cases, no changes will be made, as I think they are perfect as/is.

5. And anything else I might think of during the course of this project. :P

I agree with all of these points.

I can't wait to see this series take shape, slap.

And now, leading off the AL East, the Boston Red Sox

bostonredsoxunis.gif

Notes:

Brought back red alt cap from the 70's, to go with the alt red home set.

Adding piping to road jerseys

Added red outlines to road lettering

Brought back striping pattern to stirrups

Home Uniforms:

Perfect. Exactly what I would like to see.

Away Uniforms:

OK, but I think it cancels out the reason for making the wordmark solid blue. red doesn't jibe with that color gray all that well IMO.

BP:

Terrific. Don't change a thing. Much better than the red ones.

Alts:

I would prefer to see navy alts. That's just me, though.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a nitpicking die hard Sox fan so take this FWIW.

New York Yankees:

nyyankeesunis.gif

Notes:

Added names to road uniforms, because only the home fans can tell the players by number :P

Changed numbers font to MLB block, historically relevant to World Series teams of 50s and 60s.

Added stripes to sleeve cuffs on home and road for consistency

Added stripe to road pants to add some color to the gray

Created 1927 throwback-inspired cream home uniform set with solid socks (no stirrups, hard to find cream sanitaries)

New York Yankees:

nyyankeesunis.gif

Notes:

Added names to road uniforms, because only the home fans can tell the players by number :P

Changed numbers font to MLB block, historically relevant to World Series teams of 50s and 60s.

Added stripes to sleeve cuffs on home and road for consistency

Added stripe to road pants to add some color to the gray

Created 1927 throwback-inspired cream home uniform set with solid socks (no stirrups, hard to find cream sanitaries)

I hate to say it but this entire set looks excellent. Great job, slap.

I hate the Red Sox but your concept is awesome. I really like the road jersey you created and its sad that they are wearing what they are now when they could be wearing something as nice as your concept. Dont like the blue hat with the red brim though.

The Yankees set is solid, no complaints.

Cant wait to see the Jays.

beLEAF

My favorite hat is a Red Sox BP with the red brim. I always wondered why they never did that for a regular cap. In the 70s they wore a red cap with a blue brim, so the different color brim has some precedence.

Toronto Blue Jays:

torontobluejaysunis.gif

I was going back and forth between the current scripts and the last scripts, but keeping the black/2 blues/silver scheme worked better with the current set than the previous one.

Notes:

Changed color of beveling on scripts to emphasize medium blue as primary color

Changed font of names to standard block, more legible and fits space better than current font

Added blue cuff and collar stripes

Added blue alternate jersey

I disagree with jayjackson3, but not by much. The set does look great, but some little things bother me. Firstly, the lettering on all the hats need Light Blue beveling instead of Royal. Make the Black cap and Black jersey have the same logo on them, and the same with the Royal Blue BP jersey. It makes more sense that way and matches the rest of the look. I would put the cap "T" logo at the beginning of the "Toronto" script for consistency's sake. Also, the Royal Blue BP jersey should have Black side stripes, or the Cap should have a Light Blue brim. The color balance in the different elements seems off. Otherwise, great job.

So far, I like all three of your concepts. The Red Sox concepts are nice thanks to the addition of names on the back of home jerseys, as well as the return of the 1970s red cap.

For the Yankees, I like the retro alternate. It reminds me of the Murderers' Row Yankees. I also like the block lettering in the numbers, echoing the 50s and 60s teams.

As for the Jays, this is what should be seen on the field instead of their current futuristic atrocities.

I disagree with jayjackson3, but not by much. The set does look great, but some little things bother me. Firstly, the lettering on all the hats need Light Blue beveling instead of Royal. Make the Black cap and Black jersey have the same logo on them, and the same with the Royal Blue BP jersey. It makes more sense that way and matches the rest of the look. I would put the cap "T" logo at the beginning of the "Toronto" script for consistency's sake. Also, the Royal Blue BP jersey should have Black side stripes, or the Cap should have a Light Blue brim. The color balance in the different elements seems off. Otherwise, great job.

I see your point...I will alter them slightly for consistency. I should have worked on the entire ensemble at the same time instead of piece-by-piece :P

I cant say Im a fan of the Jays set. Their road uniform is perfect in my opinion and I think building off of that, as jayjackson said, would be the way to go.

The blue alternate isnt that good to be honest, the wordmark has no pop on the blue jersey.

Id love to see the Jays come out with a blue hat, but the black one is growing on me.

For your concepts thus far:

Red Sox: A+

Yankees: A+

Jays: C+

You made the right move with more blue, but the jerseys arent working for me.

beLEAF

The Red Sox and Yankees look great! I love the Yanks' throwback and the addition of the red outline and piping to the Red Sox's away.

The Blue Jays is pretty good, but I would do what eRay said in putting light blue beveling on the hat logos, and putting the T from the hat at the beginning of the away script.

Keep the the great looking work, can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Archived