Astros in road grays Sunday vs Atlanta

mmejia

The 'Stros are almost never in their road grays anymore, so I figured I'd post a couple of photos. I love these unis and wish we'd wear them more often. Instead they wear red tops almost exclusively and are forced to road grays only when they are playing a team with red tops (atl or az).

792c68ce-733c-4c5b-a5e9-15dc4df14ef9.jpg

27965fce-67d6-4742-bc91-a3b37c60543c.jpg

7421ac7a-faf2-4a15-85d0-acfbf997fda2.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 'Stros are almost never in their road grays anymore, so I figured I'd post a couple of photos. I love these unis and wish we'd wear them more often. Instead they wear red tops almost exclusively and are forced to road grays only when they are playing a team with red tops (atl or az).

That number looks like someone PhotoShopped it onto the jersey.

That is to say, that looks a good bit tacky when compared to the wordmark above it...three-colors as opposed to a flat one. But that's just me.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That is to say, that looks a good bit tacky when compared to the wordmark above it...three-colors as opposed to a flat one. But that's just me.

I like the number - it makes the wordmark stand out more. It is functional, without taking away from the "centerpiece" of the jersey.

What I don't like, is the actual script - more specifically, the "s". They really should have used a true cursive letter, instead of the non-cursive (whatever that's called) version.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If the Astros wore their Saturday alts as their primary home uniform and used this as their primary away uniform as they should, they'd have my favorite set in all of baseball.

I like the number - it makes the wordmark stand out more. It is functional, without taking away from the "centerpiece" of the jersey.

What I don't like, is the actual script - more specifically, the "s". They really should have used a true cursive letter, instead of the non-cursive (whatever that's called) version.

I actually prefer the stylized "s" as it's unique and not the repetitive cursive "s" that everyone else would use. It's the difference between a good design and a great design.

It's even worse than that...the wordmark is actually FOUR colors:

HoustonAstros_RUS_2003-9999_SOL.png

There's a Gray dropshadow in there as well...

I might be a little biased on this topic since I am also an Astros fan, but I believe these are some of the best gray's in the big leagues... The rumor is that the reason they hardly ever wear the gray jerseys is because they are supposably hot as hell... but my question is what happened to the black alternates the 'stros wore back in the enron days?... my guess is they were probably "too hot" also... i understand that its houston and that 90% percent of the games are played during the summer, but thats why we have a roof people... if Arizona can do it, why can't we... and i agree with the dude who said the saturday alts should be the primary... its the Yankees job to wear the pinstripes, not the Astros...

I might be a little biased on this topic since I am also an Astros fan, but I believe these are some of the best gray's in the big leagues... The rumor is that the reason they hardly ever wear the gray jerseys is because they are supposably hot as hell...

I'm not particularly an Astros fan, and I agree with you. The Astros road grays are some of the best in baseball. Even with the four-color wordmark, they're very clean and distinctive. Much better than the red alts. And I'm with you on the Saturday alt thing; those pinstripe-less uniforms with the red caps are fantastic home uniforms, whereas the black pinstripes and black cap are a muddle.

However, why would the fact that it's hot in Houston affect the team's decision about whether to wear the gray or the red jersey? They're, you know, road uniforms. And the rest of the league doesn't seem to have a problem wearing gray in Los Angeles or Chicago or Denver. Or is Houston so hot that it takes the players a week to cool down to normal body temperature after leaving town?

20082614447.png

If they're really that hot I suppose it's for the better that they go unworn. Lance Berkman looks like he has the capacity to smell terrible.

I think all of the Astros' current uniform permutations are bad. Even the best one they have, the pinstripeless whites with the red cap, is still marred by an ugly mixed-metaphor script, tiny names on the back, and the most worthless cap monogram in the bigs. (Their number set is totally sweet, though. Eminently readable, which several sets of Giant Numbers On People's Backs still can't accomplish.)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My Astros' game-worn road jersey is from 2005--and things may have changed in the meantime--but it does not have a drop shadow.

Just the three-color, chain-stitched lettering.

It's also not coolbase...

The Astros only wear the grey roads about 3 maybe 4 times a season so it would be silly for Majestic to develop a cool base road jersey.

LOL... Majestic already has gray Coolbase jerseys developed. All of the gray CB jerseys are the same color (same shade of gray), so except for the Twins, all gray Coolbases are the same. They wouldn't have to do anything special for the Astros to wear Coolbase.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

From what I've read, the owner likes the red, that's the primary reason they started wearing them all the time.

I am an Astros fan, and I hate the Astros' sets of script. They look generic.

My Astros' game-worn road jersey is from 2005--and things may have changed in the meantime--but it does not have a drop shadow.

Interesting. Possibly yet another mistake in the official files (one of many).

The Astros only wear the grey roads about 3 maybe 4 times a season so it would be silly for Majestic to develop a cool base road jersey.

LOL... Majestic already has gray Coolbase jerseys developed. All of the gray CB jerseys are the same color (same shade of gray), so except for the Twins, all gray Coolbases are the same. They wouldn't have to do anything special for the Astros to wear Coolbase.

Some of the Astros players were, in fact, wearing gray CoolBase jerseys, just not the player pictured.

The original reason the Astros wore the red primarily on the road was, at the time, there were no gray CoolBase jerseys and their red alts were CB.

Gray CB jerseys were introduced for the first time last season, and are now worn by every team except the Yankees, who do not allow their players to wear CB jerseys.

The drop shadow is an artifact of that photo only. The Astros' current jerseys have never had drop shadow.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Astros didn't bother with a grey set of CB jerseys last season because Uncle Drayton didn't see the point in paying for another set of jerseys in CB when he already has the brick roads in them (allegedly). Gotta save money somewhere, right?

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The drop shadow is an artifact of that photo only. The Astros' current jerseys have never had drop shadow.

That Gray dropshadow (which DOES exist on the home unis) has been in the official Style Guide files since 2000...it might not actually be used for real on the road jerseys, but it's not an "artifact".

Archived