Back In The Game?

Linus

Jim Balsillie has put in an offer on the Phoenix Coyotes.

According to a media release, the Blackberry billionaire's offer of $212.5 million (US) for the team is conditional on the franchise relocating to Southern Ontario.

"The current team ownership asked that I table an offer to purchase the Coyotes and significant discussions resulted in an offer that is in the best interests of the franchise, the NHL, and the great hockey fans of Canada and Southern Ontario," Balsillie said in the release.

"I am excited to move closer to bringing an NHL franchise to what I believe is one of the best un-served hockey markets in the world, Southern Ontario. A market with devoted hockey fans, a rich hockey history, a growing and diversified economy and a population of more than 7 million people," he said.

The release also says, Balsillie agreed to post debtor-in-possession financing of $17 million (US) at the request of the Coyotes franchise. The money will keep the franchise going before the sale is completed.

This is far from the first time that Balsillie has attempted to move an existing franchise to the Golden Horshoe.

In 2007 Balsillie attempted to purchase the Nashville Predators in an effort to re-locate the team to Hamilton, and even gave fans the opportunity to put a down payment on season tickets. The deal fell through leading to speculation that the league was not interested in Balsillie attempting to move a team before he actually owned them.

These new details come on the heels of a series of confusing reports last week that the NHL was in charge of the Coyotes, a report Coyotes president Doug Moss refuted. The league did not release a comment.

In addition there seems to be a growing sentiment of bringing a second team to the Southern, Ontario region, recently deputy commissioner Bill Daly met with a group who are attempting to bring a second team to the Greater Toronto area. According to a release by the NHL following that meeting, that is not on the league's agenda.

"There is no consideration of bringing a second franchise to Toronto. We have no intention to expand in the foreseeable future, and there is no desire to relocate any of our existing franchises."

If Balsillie is successful in bringing the Coyotes to Canada it would mean that the franchise has come nearly full circle after the team was forced to relocate to the desert from Winnipeg in 1996.

TSN.ca

There is still hope. I believe Balsille would be a great hockey owner, hell he'd be a great owner for any sports team. He cares for the sport of hockey and he knows that Phoenix isnt a place for a hockey market.

Let him buy the team and bring them back to Canada!

beLEAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they have 8 weeks to work out a deal with the city of glendale and they are working with the league to keep the team in the phoenix metro area. expect a something to happen in the next few days. there is a report that jerry reinsdorf has expressed interest and will be making an offer to keep the team here as he is a paradise valley resident and a coyotes season ticket holder. like i said it's not over yet.

Im sorry to anyone who lives in Phoenix or is a fan of the Coyotes but Phoenix doesnt belong in the NHL. Its a downright joke that they have a team when places like Winnipeg, Quebec, Southern Ontario, Seattle (Yes, I think Seattle can work) dont have a team. The sooner the Coyotes leave (same goes for the Predators) the better.

beLEAF

Im sorry to anyone who lives in Phoenix or is a fan of the Coyotes but Phoenix doesnt belong in the NHL. Its a downright joke that they have a team when places like Winnipeg, Quebec, Southern Ontario, Seattle (Yes, I think Seattle can work) dont have a team. The sooner the Coyotes leave (same goes for the Predators) the better.

It's a downright joke they want to expand the game to larger cities with newer arenas? *scratches head*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's a downright joke they want to expand the game to larger cities with newer arenas? *scratches head*

Or in the case of Seattle, cities that actually have suitable arenas?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Is it a downright joke to have the Super Bowl in London, England?

thinking_man2.jpg

I saw, I came, I left.

how do you know you've never been to a game here. did you know there are more younger fans here than adult fans and the fact we have one of the youngest fan bases in the nhl? the only reason why the coyotes have lost 30 mill a year is their deal with the city. we have a great chance of making this work still. look wha happened in ottawa and pittsburgh its happened there and now happening here. you have your opinion and i know from the text messages that i have been getting are saying that something will get done and keep the franchise here

As a Coyotes fan, with a comment like that, I wish the game NEVER EXISTED!

You probably still argue that LA or Dallas deserves a team more that Pheonix.

This type of hypocrasy is wrong.

Rams80: Yea, they really get there moneys worth in phoenix with the 8 000 fans they get.

DG Now: Ever heard of building a new arena?

DEAD!: Im not even going to bother because youll have some stupid sarcastic reply.

beLEAF

Rams80: Yea, they really get there moneys worth in phoenix with the 8 000 fans they get.

DEAD!: Im not even going to bother because youll have some stupid sarcastic reply.

THere's more than 8,000 fans at Jobing.com arena during the games.

This is why I wish ice hockey was never existed; these hypocritical fans don't deserve it.

Jim Balsillie has put in an offer on the Phoenix Coyotes.

According to a media release, the Blackberry billionaire's offer of $212.5 million (US) for the team is conditional on the franchise relocating to Southern Ontario.

"The current team ownership asked that I table an offer to purchase the Coyotes and significant discussions resulted in an offer that is in the best interests of the franchise, the NHL, and the great hockey fans of Canada and Southern Ontario," Balsillie said in the release.

"I am excited to move closer to bringing an NHL franchise to what I believe is one of the best un-served hockey markets in the world, Southern Ontario. A market with devoted hockey fans, a rich hockey history, a growing and diversified economy and a population of more than 7 million people," he said.

The release also says, Balsillie agreed to post debtor-in-possession financing of $17 million (US) at the request of the Coyotes franchise. The money will keep the franchise going before the sale is completed.

This is far from the first time that Balsillie has attempted to move an existing franchise to the Golden Horshoe.

In 2007 Balsillie attempted to purchase the Nashville Predators in an effort to re-locate the team to Hamilton, and even gave fans the opportunity to put a down payment on season tickets. The deal fell through leading to speculation that the league was not interested in Balsillie attempting to move a team before he actually owned them.

These new details come on the heels of a series of confusing reports last week that the NHL was in charge of the Coyotes, a report Coyotes president Doug Moss refuted. The league did not release a comment.

In addition there seems to be a growing sentiment of bringing a second team to the Southern, Ontario region, recently deputy commissioner Bill Daly met with a group who are attempting to bring a second team to the Greater Toronto area. According to a release by the NHL following that meeting, that is not on the league's agenda.

"There is no consideration of bringing a second franchise to Toronto. We have no intention to expand in the foreseeable future, and there is no desire to relocate any of our existing franchises."

If Balsillie is successful in bringing the Coyotes to Canada it would mean that the franchise has come nearly full circle after the team was forced to relocate to the desert from Winnipeg in 1996.

TSN.ca

There is still hope. I believe Balsille would be a great hockey owner, hell he'd be a great owner for any sports team. He cares for the sport of hockey and he knows that Phoenix isnt a place for a hockey market.

Let him buy the team and bring them back to Canada!

There was a minor league hockey tema called the roadrunners before the coyotes came. There are passionate hockey fans in Phoenix. Losing seasons in such a bangwagon town does that.

Oro?

They're going to build an arena in this economy? In a country where the government doesn't build pleasure palaces for sports teams?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oro?

They're going to build an arena in this economy? In a country where the government doesn't build pleasure palaces for sports teams?

My thoughts exactly.

And his comments of Phoenix not a hockey town is baloney. We had the Roadrunners long before the Coyotes.

Sometimes, I wish I could send these people into the Tribulation and see how they can play hockey on frozen blood...

How about this for a stupid, sarcastic reply?

Yeah, in hindsight it sounds stupid that the NHL went to places like Phoenix and Nashville, and they should have new ownership, if it means moving the teams, one of them in Canada preferably.

At the time, however, I didn't have a problem with the Coyotes and Nordiques moving. There was no salary cap, the Canadian dollar was a joke, the arenas became inadequate. Even if the buildings were sold out, it would not guarantee survival of the teams. Phoenix, was and still is, a growing city from what I know. Maybe it isn't the region that's the problem, but the people running it.

The NHL gambled on potential growth, which is what plenty of business do. The NHL has failed on the gamble in some of these markets. I do believe that NHL needs to give a perception of financial stability of all it's teams. If it means moving a team to Canada and the team makes money, then that's great.

I saw, I came, I left.

Im well aware that you had the Roadrunners..but where are they going to be next season? Not Phoenix.

So, you're still saying Phoenix isn't a hockey town.

If God is listening, he should send you into the tribulation and see how you guys can play hockey on frozen blood. It would serve you right for your attitude.

BTW, should Dallas & LA have a NHL franchise?

Im well aware that you had the Roadrunners..but where are they going to be next season? Not Phoenix.

If God is listening, he should send you into the tribulation and see how you guys can play hockey on frozen blood. It would serve you right for your attitude.

LA should have 1 hockey team not 2.

Dallas should have a hockey team because that team makes money. The Coyotes do not. That's life.

I say Move 'em back to Winnipeg but I think Balsillie wants to move 'em to Hamilton.

thecatch.jpg

Dallas should have a hockey team because that team makes money. The Coyotes do not. That's life.

Hypocrite. When the Canadian teams lose money, should they have stayed?

God, why do you reward the wicked?

I've been going over to Phoenix for years to catch Ducks/Coyotes games, and trust me them losing money has nothing to do with the players, coaching staff, or the fans.

They have an absolutely beautiful arena, but they have an absolutely god-awful lease agreement on the place. And also, while the Glendale area and the Westgate complex they've built around it is awesome, there are some logistical problems. The parking is terrible, and also it's free for Coyotes games as far as I can tell. If they started to charge for parking it might help a little. Otherwise you have to group those people in with those going into the rest of the Westgate center.

The parking for Cardinals games is around the stadium, for pay, and just better for the Cardinals stadium. For jobing.com Arena it's not. They don't even charge for the concerts there as I've been to a few as well.

The Coyotes are leaking money is many other areas than ticket sales, concessions, and merchandise. The fans do put their money into those. But those 3 alone can't support the franchise. There are a lot of other mitigating factors.

And personally, while I love the Arena and Westgate like I said, I think the Coyotes would have been much better served staying at the US Airways Center where the Suns play. Just my opinion.

If they are going to sell, work out the lease agreement (because I know the Arena management can't like a tennant that they bribed to go there losing all their money), sell it to Reinsdorf, and get a playoff team back on the ice like they had in the late 90s. The Coyotes will be fine if these things work out.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Hypocrite. When the Canadian teams lose money, should they have stayed?

God, why do you reward the wicked?

First of all, stop invoking God, it's a sports franchise, not a frickin' famine.

Second of all, when the Canadian teams lost money, they did move. How do you think Phoenix got a team in the first place? That's the sports business my friend. I think that the Panthers and the Thrashers will have to seriously turn their franchises around if they want to avoid the same faith as the Coyotes.

BTW, this isn't a Canada vs. USA thing. It's a hockey market vs. non-hockey market thing. If Balsillie wants to move the team to Cleveland or Milwaukee or Seattle or Kansas City or Portland or Houston or Las Vegas (there are many untapped markets in the US that could work), I'm all for it too. Phoenix is, I believe, 50 million dollars in the hole, time to move on.

thecatch.jpg

Archived