Texas Longhorns install field turf FB field

mmejia

As a lifelong Texas fan, this was tough news to swallow when they first announced a move to field turf in February. But, as far as grass fields go, for some reason the Horns have never had an amazing looking field. It certainly has looked good, but a grass field in Central Texas should look great. The season ender last December vs A&M was the last straw. The field was used by the TV show "Friday Night Lights" the weekend before and the playing surface was a disaster for a non-weather influenced game. The new turf now allows UT to host HS playoff games, something it has avoided, for the most part, in the past.

All that said, I LOVE the look of this new field. It looks soooo much better than what was expected. I even think they got the shade of orange just right. That's no easy feat. Pics in link:

Texas Football Website

It looks pretty much exactly like what I imagined before I clicked the link. Not crazy about the black in the Big XII logo, but overall it's looks good. Got any pictures of the old grass field for comparison?

Here's a good side-by-side look. Keep in mind that the newer pic shown here is oversaturated. The turf is a much more natural tone of green in person and in the photos included in the link above. The orange in the below pic is off as well.

Last season:

dkr-new-end-zone2.jpg

New:

southendzone001-3.jpg

How much hotter will it be with the field turf instead of the grass???

I wonder if they'll go with the stormtrooper look at home occasionally because of the heat???

The technology with field turf is getting better by the year and apparantly this lastest brand isn't as bad with heat as the past versions. This had to be taken into consideration with 3-4 home games a year played sometime in August-September with kickoff temps well above 90 degrees. I've read that the on field temps should not be noticebaly different from years past.

I love the stormtrooper look as much as anyone, but every Horn fan in Texas would have a heart attack if Texas took the field in anything other than burnt orange jerseys.

How much hotter will it be with the field turf instead of the grass???

I wonder if they'll go with the stormtrooper look at home occasionally because of the heat???

The technology with field turf is getting better by the year and apparantly this lastest brand isn't as bad with heat as the past versions. This had to be taken into consideration with 3-4 home games a year played sometime in August-September with kickoff temps well above 90 degrees. I've read that the on field temps should not be noticebaly different from years past.

I love the stormtrooper look as much as anyone, but every Horn fan in Texas would have a heart attack if Texas took the field in anything other than burnt orange jerseys.

Texas had artificial turf for a long time, if I'm not mistaken, so this isn't the Packers going to turf. It's more like Giants Stadium or other schools (Michigan, Ohio State, to name two off the top of my head) that had turf, went to grass, then went back to turf when FieldTurf was proven to be a realistic alternative to poorly sodded fields.

I only see it maybe once a baseball season, but doesn't Texas seem to have one of the worst baseball FIELDS for a team with their tradition? I'm not talking about the stadium just the playing surface. It looks really, really bad on TV.

I only see it maybe once a baseball season, but doesn't Texas seem to have one of the worst baseball FIELDS for a team with their tradition? I'm not talking about the stadium just the playing surface. It looks really, really bad on TV.

Not anymore. Stadium was completely renovated prior to the 2008 season and the playing surface is now the same FieldTurf surface which was just installed at DKR Memorial Stadium.

I think that's changed. They used to have the artificial turf infield and grass outfield. I believe they have installed a complete Fieldturf field.

I think that's changed. They used to have the artificial turf infield and grass outfield. I believe they have installed a complete Fieldturf field.

you're partially right. until this year they had an all astroturf field with dirt at the mound and base areas. Now they have fieldturf all over the field except for the mound. The area around the bases is just brown field turf. Outdoor baseball should not be played on fake grass

you're partially right. until this year they had an all astroturf field with dirt at the mound and base areas. Now they have fieldturf all over the field except for the mound. The area around the bases is just brown field turf. Outdoor baseball should not be played on fake grass

That is the same layout we have here at Troy.

It looks strange not to have dirt on a baseball diamond. Why would they have fieldturf instead of dirt?

Maintainence. No need to water the Field Turf like you would wet down the dirt.

Sliding on FieldTurf sucks. There should be dirt on the infield.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

So little to water with the cutouts. If they really wanted the dirt look, they should have done the entire infield.

Odd watching a baseball game and not seeing any dirt on the uniform.

Archived